How 'bout a little sax
The Chicago Saxophone Quartet, a dynamic and virtuosic ensemble formed in 1968 that has played to enthusiastic audiences in Europe, North America and Southeast Asia, will perform on Saturday, Jan. 6 at 7:15 p.m. in Dole Hall at Plymouth Place, 315 N. LaGrange Road in LaGrange Park.
The concert is free and open to the public, but reservations are requested. Call 708-354-0340 or email email@example.com.
Sing along with Liz
Local singer, songwriter and music teacher Liz Berg makes her first appearance at Plymouth Place, 315 N. LaGrange Road in LaGrange Park, with a guitar singalong program.
The singalong, which will be held in the Albert Hall at Plymouth Place, is free and open to the public, but reservations are requested. Call 708-354-0340 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
It's a jungle out there
Are your kids looking for something to do while waiting for school to resume and avoiding the deep freeze? Head on over to the Brookfield Public Library, 3609 Grand Blvd. with them on Friday, Jan. 5 for a noon screening of Disney's 2016 live-action adaptation of "The Jungle Book" featuring the voices of Bill Murray as Baloo the bear, Idris Elba as Shere Khan the tiger and Scarlett Johansson as Kaa the python.
All ages are welcome with adult. For more information contact the library at 708-485-6917.
The Minions strike again
North Riverside Parks and Recreation hosts a Family Movie Night on Saturday, Jan. 6 from 7 to 9 p.m., featuring a screening of the computer-animated action comedy "Despicable Me 3" and its host of mischievous Minions.
Wear your pajamas, bring a blanket and get comfortable at the North Riverside Village Commons, 2401 Desplaines Ave. Popcorn specials and other concessions will be sold all night.
The movie is free to attend – just drop into the gym – but children must be supervised by an adult at all times.
For more information, call 708-442-5515.
Long live the King
North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., continues its Wednesday Movie Matinee series by wishing a happy birthday to the King of Rock 'n' Roll, Elvis Presley, by screening his 1962 feature film, "Girls! Girls! Girls!" on Wednesday, Jan. 3 at 2 p.m.
The movie is free to attend, just drop in. For more information, call the library at 708-447-0869 or visit online at www.northriversidelibrary.org/events.
• The Brookfield Windy City travel baseball team is collecting winter outerwear -- hats, gloves, coats, boots, scarves and hoodies -- for those in need. Donations will benefit the Humble Hearts organization. Drop off items at 3712 Forest Ave. in Brookfield. Donations will be delivered to Humble Hearts on Jan. 10.
• Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., presents the work of artist Natalie Jacobson in "Seeing Things: The difference between you and me" in the Freeark Gallery of Art through Jan. 13. Free. Gallery hours Tuesday thru Saturday (except major holidays) from 1 to 5 p.m. www.riversideartscenter.com.
• Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, hosts Library in Your Pocket, a hands-on demonstration on how to download e-books, audiobooks, movies and music to your smart tablet, phone or computer in the Public Meeting Room on Jan. 6 at 2 p.m.; Cake Decorating, a beginner's class for anyone 16-older (four classes in all/$10), starting Jan. 8 at 6:30 p.m. in the Public Meeting Room; and Knitting and Needlework Drop-in beginning Jan. 8 at 7 p.m. in the Storytime Room. Call 708-442-6366 for more info.
• The Film Discussion Group at Brookfield Public Library, 3609 Grand Blvd., will discuss "Harmonium" (Japan) on Jan. 9 at 6:30 p.m. as they continue their examination of foreign and independent films from the top film festivals. For more information, call 708-485-6917.
• North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., hosts Messy Mornings for Munchkins (ages 2+), Jan. 9 at 10:30 a.m.; Lapsit Storytime (babies/toddlers with adult) on Jan. 4 at 10:30 a.m.; Pajama Storytime (all ages with adult) on Jan. 9 at 6:30 p.m.; and Family Bingo and Loteria Familia (ages 3 /under 7 with adult) on Jan. 6 at 2 p.m. Call 708-447-0869 for more info.
• The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo every Monday night. Doors open at 5 p.m. and games start at 7 p.m. minimum cash payout of $2,275 a night, plus pull tabs, lightning, tic-tac and raffles.