Stockings for Soldiers
Kuratko-Nosek Funeral, 2447 Desplaines Ave. in North Riverside, once again is collecting items to send to servicemen and women serving overseas this holiday season via their annual Stockings for Soldiers initiative.
Through Dec. 1, pick up a free Christmas stocking from the funeral home, take it home, decorate it and stuff it with Christmas cheer. Then return the stuffed stockings to the funeral home, which will ship the stockings overseas or deliver them to local veterans in time for the holiday.
Pick up-drop off times are Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and on Saturday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. If you are interested in sending stockings to a larger group, call 708-447-2500.
Disney goes to war
Brookfield Public Library, 3609 Grand Blvd., invites the community to the presentation "Cartoons to the Front: Disney and World War II" on Monday, Nov. 27 at 7 p.m.
DePaul University's Jason Sperb will show how Disney's contribution helped the war effort and established the studio's legacy as a cultural institution, from "Commando Duck" to training, educational, industrial and propaganda films.
Register to attend by calling 708-485-6917 or visiting online at www.brookfieldlibrary.info.
Get your color on
The Adult Coloring Club continues at the North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., on Tuesday, Nov. 28 at 6:30 p.m.
Coloring pages and colored pencils will be provided, but feel free to bring your own. Drop-in only. Call 708-447-0869 or visit online at www.northriversidelibrary.org/events for more info.
That same night, Nov. 28, Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, hosts Keep Calm and Color to provide anyone 16 or older with a way to cheer up, chill out and be creative. Coloring pages, pencils, pens and crayons are provided, but bring your own if you wish.
The program is supported by a grant from Riverside Township. For more information, call 708-442-6366.
LTHS welcomes future frosh
Lyons Township High School's South Campus, 4900 S. Willow Springs Ave. in Western Springs, will roll out the red carpet for eighth-grade students and their parents at an LTHS Future Freshman Night on Tuesday, Nov. 28 at 7 p.m.
Academic division chairs, counselors and administrators, including Superintendent Tim Kilrea and Principal Brian Waterman, will share information and present an overview of expectations for incoming students.
Explore the South Campus and also learn about LTHS summer school program, boosters and parent-teacher council.
For more information, call 708-579-6300.
• The Comboni Missionaries of LaGrange Park, hosts their 51st Annual Dinner Dance on Nov. 25 at 6:30 p.m. (dinner at 7 p.m.) at Porretta Banquets, 3718 N. Central Ave. in Chicago. This year's dinner honors Rose Mary Ranallo. Tickets are $75. Reserve by calling 708-354-1999 or emailing email@example.com.
• For the month of November officers from the Brookfield Police Department will be growing beards to raise money and show support for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. Show your support for both the police department and St. Jude's by donating to the Beards and Badges effort at fundraising.stjude.org/brookfieldPDbnb.
• Brookfield Public Library, 3609 Grand Blvd., hosts a Brown Bag Movie day on Nov. 24 at noon. Bring your lunch and enjoy a movie. All ages with adult. Drop-in only.
On Nov. 25 at 3 p.m., join in a library tradition at the library's Candle in a Teacup craft event. Bring your own teacup or mug to make a soy candle. All ages with adult. Advance registration required. Call 708-485-6917 or visit www.brookfieldlibrary.info.
• Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., continues its exhibition Twist Affix, featuring the work of Aimee Beaubien in the Freeark Gallery of Art through Dec. 2.
The center's FlexSpace Gallery, is home to the exhibit "The Pen" featuring the work of artist Liz McCarthy through Dec. 9. Admission is free. Gallery hours are Tuesday through Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m. Visit www.riversideartscenter.com for more information.
νAnyone needing help learning to use their smartphone, computer, tablet or other device can get help at Teens Teach Tech on Nov. 29 from 3:15 to 4:15 p.m. at Hauser Junior High, 65 Woodside Road in Riverside, Room 107. Contact Nicole O'Connell with questions at 708-837-2833 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., presents Also at the library this week: Messy Mornings for Munchkins (ages 2+), Nov. 28 at 10:30 a.m.; Crafts & Cookies (2nd grade ) on Nov. 17 at 3:45 p.m.; Family Bingo and Loteria Familia (ages 3 ) on Nov. 25 at 2 p.m.; BBC Hollydays Gingerbread House Craft (ages 6 ) on Dec. 2 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., but you must register by Nov. 27. Call 708-447-0869.
• Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, hosts Knitting and Needlework Drop-in on Nov. 27 at 7 p.m. Bring your needles, crochet hooks or any yarn project. Share ideas and conversation. Children under 12 welcome with adult.
• The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo every Monday night. Doors open at 5 p.m. and games start at 7 p.m. minimum cash payout of $2,275 a night, plus pull tabs, lightning, tic-tac and raffles.