Author event at Mollie's
Mike Houlihan, Chicagoland radio personality, former Chicago Sun-Times columnist the author of the new book on Chicago politics titled "Nothin's on the Square" will appear for an author event at Mollie's Public House, 31 Forest Ave. in Riverside, on Saturday, Dec. 23 from 4 to 7 p.m.
Houlihan's book recounts 82 days on the 2015 Chicago mayoral campaign, and gives a "warts and all" glimpse into the bare-knuckle world of campaign politics that featured a race between incumbent Rahm Emanuel against Jesus "Chuy" Garcia.
Books will be available for purchase and signing.
Ascension Church celebrates Christmas
Ascension Lutheran Church, 400 Nuttall Road in Riverside, invites the community to celebrate Christmas at services on both Dec. 24 and Dec. 25.
On Dec. 24 there are two special Christmas Eve services at 5 p.m. and 10 p.m. The earlier service tends to draw a younger, less formal crowd.
Then on Christmas Day, Dec. 25, the church hosts a Festival of Lessons and Carols at 10 a.m. The carols some familiar, some not-so-familiar have been arranged by Hal Hopson, who has also updated the traditional nine lessons.
After the 10 a.m. Christmas Day service, dinner will be provided for those who wish to partake. Just call the church at 708-447-2600 so they can set a place for you.
The church is located across the street from Ames School.
Ready, set … 2018
Get you kids ready to ring in the New Year by reserving a spot for the Riverside Parks and Recreation Department's annual Kiddie New Year's Party, on Friday, Dec. 29 from 10:30 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. at the department's headquarters in the shadow of the water tower, 10 Pine Ave.
The cost per child is $15 ($20 non-residents). Sign up at the water tower or online at www.riversideil.us/446/Register-Online.
Jazz piano at Plymouth Place
Jeremy Kahn, a highly esteemed Chicago jazz pianist, is by back by popular demand on Thursday, Dec. 21 at 7:15 p.m. in Dole Hall at Plymouth Place, 315 N. LaGrange Road in LaGrange Park.
The concert is free and open to the public, but reservations are requested. For more information, contact 708-482-6805 or email to rlopienski@plymouth place.org.
• The Brookfield Windy City travel baseball team is collecting winter outerwear -- hats, gloves, coats, boots, scarves and hoodies -- for those in need. Donations will benefit the Humble Hearts organization. Drop off items by Dec. 21 at 3712 Forest Ave. in Brookfield. Any donations after Dec. 21 will be delivered to Humble Hearts on Jan. 10.
• Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., presents the work of artist Natalie Jacobson in "Seeing Things: The difference between you and me" in the Freeark Gallery of Art through Jan. 13, 2018. Free. Gallery hours Tuesday thru Saturday (except major holidays) from 1 to 5 p.m. www.riversideartscenter.com.
• Brookfield Zoo, 3300 Golf Road in Brookfield, continues with Holiday Magic the week of Dec. 26-31. The zoo is open from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. each day of the event, with lights festivities beginning at 4 p.m. Each night features live music and entertainment, ice carving demonstrations, costumed characters, a model train display, pictures with Santa and Mrs. Claus and more. Regular admission and parking rates apply. www.CZS.org/HolidayMagic or 708-688-8000.
• Brookfield Public Library, 3609 Grand Blvd., hosts a Self-Publishing Class on Dec. 14 at 7 p.m. Frank Murray, head of reference and electronic services will help you learn how to turn typed pages into a finished e-book. Free. To register, call 708-485-6917 or visit www.brookfieldlibrary.info.
• Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, hosts Remembering Marshall Field's and Christmas in the Great Room on Dec. 20 at 7 p.m. Leslie Goddard will trace the store's traditions, from the Walnut Room Christmas tree to the toy department to catalogs. Registration required by calling 708-442-6366.
• North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., presents Also at the library this week: Messy Mornings for Munchkins (ages 2+), Dec. 26 at 10:30 a.m. and a Stuffed Animal Sleepover and Breakfast Bash (kids 3 ). Drop off your stuffed animal on Dec. 21 between 10 a.m. and 8 p.m. at the lower-level Help Desk, and come back Dec. 21 at 10:30 for breakfast and a slide show of all the animals' wacky overnight adventures. Call 708-447-0869 for more info.