Have breakfast, meet Santa
• The Riverside Junior Woman's Charity hosts a Jingle, Jolly, Gingerbread Breakfast with Santa on Saturday, Dec. 9 at the Riverside Township Hall, 27 Riverside Road.
Tickets are $10 per child and seating is limited. Choose seating times at 8 a.m. or 10 a.m. In addition to breakfast, professional photos with Santa are included.
Register at JingleJollyGingerbread.cheddarup.com.
• The Congress Park School PTO will host a Winter Wonderland and Pancake Breakfast in the gym of the school, 9311 Shields Ave. in Brookfield, on Saturday, Dec. 9 from 8 to 11 a.m.
Tickets are $4 and include an all-you-can eat breakfast of pancakes, sausage, juice and milk. Holiday crafts will be available, and for $5 kids can make crafts for holiday gift giving. Santa will also be visiting from 9 to 11 a.m.
• North Riverside Parks and Recreation hosts Breakfast with Santa from 9 to 10:30 a.m. at the Village Commons, 2401 Desplaines Ave. For $6 you can eat breakfast (three pancakes, two sausage, juice/coffee), play games, make a craft and visit with Santa and Buddy the Elf.
Each child (children 2 and under free) receives a gift from Santa. Bring your camera. Pre-registration only. Call 708-442-5515.
Solo show at Riverside Arts Center
Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., presents the work of artist Natalie Jacobson in her solo show "Seeing Things: The difference between you and me" in the Freeark Gallery of Art from Dec. 10 through Jan. 13, 2018.
Jacobson's work "explores the states between inside and outside by focusing on the thingness of a painting. While hinting at pictorial space [she] look[s] for ways to erode the hierarchy of supports, surface and picture plane by using all components to create an image."
An opening reception will be held Dec. 10 from 3 to 6 p.m. Admission is free. Gallery hours are Tuesday through Saturday (expect major holidays) from 1 to 5 p.m. Visit www.riversideartscenter.com for more information.
It's movie time
• Get into the holiday spirit at Brookfield Public Library, 3609 Grand Blvd., on Dec. 9 at 1 p.m. and enjoy the modern classic film Elf, starring Will Ferrell.
Register to attend online at www.brookfieldlibrary.info or by phone at 708-485-6917. Free. All ages with adult.
• Or if your tastes run more toward science fiction, you can attend a screening of Star Wars: The Force Awakens on Dec. 7 at 6:30 p.m. in the Public Meeting Room of the Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road.
The film is rated PG-13 and is free to attend. Just drop in.
• North Riverside Parks and Recreation continues its Free Popcorn and a Movie series on Dec. 8 at 1 p.m. at the North Riverside Village Commons, 2401 Desplaines Ave., with the 2017 remake of the film Going in Style, starring Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine and Alan Arkin.
Aging, lifelong buddies desperate to pay bills turn to bank robbery as a retirement plan. Free. Register to attend by calling 708-442-5515.
Holiday music offerings
Listen to the sounds of the season at three special events during the coming week.
• Enjoy the Mater Christi Youth Choir and the Riverside-Brookfield High School Madrigal Singers at the Holiday Open House at the North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave. on Saturday, Dec. 9 from noon to 3 p.m.
The event is sponsored by the Friends of the North Riverside Library. Refreshments will be served
• On Sunday, Dec. 10 at 3 p.m. in the Great Room of the Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, enjoy holiday and jazz favorites by the Hauser Junior Jazz Band.
• Also on Dec. 10 at 4 p.m., Sts. Peter and Paul Lutheran Church, 250 Woodside Road in Riverside, hosts a Festival of Carols by Lux Cantorum, Chicago's premier sacred music ensemble.
Tickets are $15 in advance (by Dec. 8) or $20 at the door. Free for children 10-under. Purchase at luxcantorum.org by clicking the link on the home page.
What the Dickens?
The North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., presents "The Essential Christmas Carol" on Wednesday, Dec. 13 at 6:30 p.m.
Professional storyteller William Pack performs a reading of A Christmas Carol and will also recreate the kind of magic lantern slide show popular during Charles Dickens' lifetime.
Free. To sign up call 708-447-0869 or visit www.northriversidelibrary.org/events.
• Brookfield Zoo, 3300 Golf Road in Brookfield, continues its Holiday Magic weekends on Dec. 9-10, 16-17 and the week of Dec. 26-31. The zoo is open from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. each day of the event, with lights festivities beginning at 4 p.m. Each night features live music and entertainment, ice carving demonstrations, costumed characters, a model train display, pictures with Santa and Mrs. Claus and more. Regular admission and parking rates apply. www.CZS.org/HolidayMagic or 708-688-8000.
• Lyons Township High School Theater Board presents Almost, Maine by John Cariani on Dec. 8 and 9 at 7 p.m. and Dec. 10 at 3 p.m. in the North Campus Reber Center, 100 S. Brainard Ave., LaGrange. Tickets at the box office are $10, $5 for children and seniors and free with an LTHS student ID.
• North Riverside Parks and Rec hosts Holiday Shop and Drop on Dec. 9 from 5 to 9 p.m. Drop the kids off while you have a night of shopping or just a night out. Camp counselors will entertain kids with fun, games, pizza and activities. Register ($25/$15 each additional child) by calling 708-442-5515.
• Brookfield Public Library, 3609 Grand Blvd., hosts Small Business Lunch & Learn featuring Joseph Skibbie, discussing search engine optimization to build your online business presence on Dec. 8 at noon. Create Holiday Winter Collages with artist Georgia Velisaris on Dec. 9 at 2 p.m. Advance registration required. Call 708-485-6917 or visit www.brookfieldlibrary.info.
• Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, host a Medicare Information Seminar on Dec. 13 at 6:30 p.m. in the Public Meeting Room.
• North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., presents Also at the library this week: Messy Mornings for Munchkins (ages 2+), Dec. 12 at 10:30 a.m.; Lapsit Storytime (babies and toddlers with adult), Dec. 7 at 10:30 a.m.; Pajama Storytime (all ages with adult), Dec. 12 at 6:30 p.m.; Legos Club Mega Build Challenge (1st grade ), Dec. 8 at 3:45 p.m.; Frosty's Winter Wonderland featuring Dave Herzog's Marionettes and Santa (all ages) on Dec. 6 at 6:30 p.m. Call 708-447-0869 for more info.