War is hell
Join Brookfield author Mark Farina as he tells the true story of his father-in-law, a Chicago man who became a B-17 co-pilot during World War II, from training to combat to the crew's struggles as prisoners of war after being shot down over Europe, as well as the discovery 60 years later of details his surviving family and fellow crew members never knew.
The talk takes place Wednesday, March 21 at 7 p.m. in the Public Meeting Room of the Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road.
Landscape workday kickoff
The Frederick Law Olmsted Society kicks off its 2018 schedule of landscape workdays by inviting volunteers to help weed Harrington Park, located at South Delaplaine and Gage roads, on March 17 from 9 a.m. to noon.
Bring work gloves and a water bottle. All other supplies and snacks provided. Service hours available. Supervised kids welcome. Come for as long as your schedule allows.
Look for the Riverside Public Works dump truck.
Mexican folk dancing
LaGrange-Brookfield School District 102 invites the community to a Mexican Folkloric Dance Performance featuring students from Congress Park, Forest Road and Park Junior High schools in the auditorium of Park Junior High, 325 N. Park Ave. in LaGrange Park, on March 15 at 7 p.m.
The event also features performances by students from Chicago's Mariachi Embajador de Mexico.
LTHS stages 'The Odyssey'
The Lyons Township High School Theater Board presents Homer's "Odyssey," adapted from a translation by Robert Fitzgerald and directed by LTHS faculty member Ann Dudek.
The story involves the adventures of an ancient Greek warrior, Odysseus, during a 10-year journey on his way back home after the Trojan War.
Shows are Friday, March 16 Saturday, March 17 at 7 p.m. and Sunday, March 18 at 3 p.m. in the North Campus Reber Center, 100 S. Brainard Ave. in LaGrange.
Tickets at the box office are $10 ($5 children/seniors). Free with LTHS ID.
Adopt-A-Spot in Brookfield
Brookfield Adopt-A-Spot, sponsored by the Brookfield Beautification Commission, will hold its annual kickoff on Saturday, March 17 from 9 to 11 a.m. at the Brookfield Village Hall, 8820 Brookfield Ave.
The program lets families, individuals and groups to care for a local spot over the course of a year. Set your own schedule; just visit your spot once a month to pick up trash, weed, etc.
Call 708-485-1167 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
'Little Women' turns 150
To commemorate the 150th anniversary of the book "Little Women," historian Leslie Goddard presents a historical portrayal of author Louisa May Alcott.
Register to attend online at www.brookfieldlibrary.info or by calling 708-485-6917.
• Chicago Scots host dinner and a movie with a screening of "Tunes of Glory," starring Alec Guinness and John Mills on March 20 from 6 to 9 p.m. in the Heritage Hall of Caledonia Senior Living and Memory Care, 2800 Desplaines Ave. in North Riverside. Free. No RSVP required. Donations welcome.
• Hitzeman Funeral Home hosts the adult continuing education seminar "The Benefit of Pre-Planning and Pre-Funding Funerals" on March 14 at 7 p.m. on the South Campus of Lyons Township High School, 4900 S. Willow Springs Road in Western Springs. To register, call 708-579-6573.
• North Riverside Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., hosts Remodeling 101 with Larry Rych and Stephanie Bullwinkel of Imperial Kitchens and Baths on March 21 at 6:30 p.m. Free. To sign up, call 708-447-0869 or visit www.northriversidelibrary.org/events.
• Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., presents the art exhibition "Strike/Slip" featuring the work of John Grod, Stacy Isenbarger, Harold Jeffries and Jennifer Mannebach in the Freeark Gallery of Art from March 11 through April 14. Gallery hours are Tuesday through Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m.
• Through March 16, Kuratko-Nosek Funeral Home, 2447 Desplaines Ave., is collecting new toys and crafts to be delivered to children at St. Jude Children's Hospital as part of the Honoring Wonderful Lives program. Drop off gifts daily between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. Call 708-447-2500 for more info.
• Riverside School District 96 on March 14 at 6:30 p.m. hosts a Strategic Plan Update in the Learning Resource Center at Hauser Junior High. Learn about district accomplishments and plans for the future. RSVP to Margie at 708-447-5007 or email@example.com.
• Brookfield Public Library, 3609 Grand Blvd., hosts Braided Hex Nut Bracelets on March 17 at 3 p.m. Learn to make a simple but elegant bracelet. Register by calling 708-485-6917 or online at www.brookfieldlibrary.info.
• North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., hosts Messy Mornings for Munchkins (ages 2+), March 20 at 10:30 a.m. and Lapsit Storytime (babies/toddlers with adult) on March 15 at 10:30 a.m.; and Crafts & Cookies (2nd grade ) on March 16 at 3:45 p.m.
• Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, hosts a Medicare Information Seminar on March 17 at 10 a.m. in the Public Meeting Room. Learn about Medicare changes, how to select supplemental plans and about the Part D drug program.
• Riverside Parks and Recreation, 10 Pine Ave., is a pop tab collection site for Ronald McDonald House Charities during the month of March. Pop tabs, which lead to financial contributions to the charity, will be donated at the end of the month.
• The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo every Monday night. Doors open at 5 p.m. and games start at 7 p.m. minimum cash payout of $2,275 a night, plus pull tabs, lightning, tic-tac and raffles.
• Lyons Township High School invites the public to use the indoor track at the South Campus fieldhouse, 4900 S. Willow Springs Road in Western Spring on school days from 6 to 7 a.m. through March. No admission charge.