New exhibit at RAC
Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., presents its latest exhibition "Strike/Slip" featuring the work of John Grod, Stacy Isenbarger, Harold Jeffries and Jennifer Mannebach in the Freeark Gallery of Art from March 11 through April 14.
The show kicks off with an opening reception on March 11 from 3 to 6 p.m. The event is free and open to the public. Gallery hours are Tuesday through Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m.
Closed Sundays, Mondays and major holidays.
Polish poetry primer
In honor of Casimir Pulaski Day, the Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, hosts Malgorzata "Margo" Dzwonowski, who will introduce you to some of Poland's finest poets on Sunday, March 11 at 2 p.m. in the Quiet Reading Room.
Among the poets featured will be Czeslaw Milosz, who won a Nobel Prize for literature in 1980, and Wislawa Szymborska, who won the Nobel Prize in 1996. Poems will be read in Polish and English.
Breakfast in Hollywood
The Hollywood Citizens Association will be serving up hot cakes and more on Saturday, March 10 from 8 a.m. to noon at their annual Pancake Breakfast.
Enjoy pancakes, sausage, fruit, juice and coffee while chatting with neighbors and taking a shot at winning some raffle prizes. Afterward, stop by the Hollywood School Science Day.
Tickets are $5 per person and kids under 3 eat for free. Profits support the Hollywood House and its mission as a community and school resource.
Prairie State celebrates 200
The North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., presents the adult program "Prairie State Primer" on Wednesday, March 14 at 6:30 p.m.
John Lynn, who has spent 30 years driving, biking, walking, paddling and photographing the state, will talk about the history of Illinois, which celebrates its 200th birthday this year.
The program is free. To sign up, call 708-447-0869 or visit online at www.northriversidelibrary.org/events.
Let's go, batter up …
Baseball season is almost upon us and Brookfield Public Library, 3609 Grand Blvd., is marking the occasion by inviting Chicago Cubs fans to a special presentation by Bruce Bohrer, author of "Best Seat in the House: Diary of a Wrigley Field Usher."
Bohrer will share highlights from his years working at the historic ballpark. Register to attend by calling 708-485-6917 or online at www.brookfieldlibrary.info.
• From March 12-16, Kuratko-Nosek Funeral Home, 2447 Desplaines Ave., is collecting new toys and crafts to be delivered to children at St. Jude Children's Hospital as part of the Honoring Wonderful Lives program. Drop off gifts daily between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. Call 708-447-2500 for more info.
• Riverside School District 96 hosts Kindergarten Registration Night on March 8 at 6 p.m. (last name A-L) and 7:15 p.m. (last name M-Z) in the auditorium of Hauser Jr. High, 65 Woodside Road in Riverside. Learn about the program, meet administrators and teachers and register your student. Parents only.
On March 14 at 6:30 p.m., District 96 hosts a Strategic Plan Update in the Learning Resource Center at Hauser Junior High. Learn about district accomplishments and plans for the future. RSVP to Margie at 708-447-5007 or email@example.com by March 9.
• Joe's Saloon, 9220 47th St. in Brookfield, hosts an evening of live music and dancing with the "Prince of Polka" Eddie Kolasa Jr. and the Chicago Polka Band on March 11 from 3 to 7 p.m. No cover.
• The St. Barbara Council of Catholic Women hosts a flea market featuring gently used household items on March 10 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Parish Center, 4015 Prairie Ave. in Brookfield. Lunch available for purchase.
• Brookfield Public Library, 3609 Grand Blvd., hosts a Mixed Media Art Workshop, a special hands-on session hosted by artist Keri Borkowicz on March 10 at 3:30 p.m. Learn to paint a mixed-media tree similar to her work on display at the library. Register by calling 708-485-6917 or online at www.brookfieldlibrary.info.
• North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., hosts Messy Mornings for Munchkins (ages 2+), March 13 at 10:30 a.m. and Lapsit Storytime (babies/toddlers with adult) on March 8 at 10:30 a.m.; Tales & Treats (ages 2-5) on March 10 at 10:30 a.m.; Legos Club Mega-Build Challenge (1st grade ) on March 9 at 3:45 p.m.; Improv Comedy Class (1st grade ) on March 13 at 3:45 p.m.; St. Patrick's Day Extravaganza (6th-12th grades), March 10 from 1 to 3 p.m.
• Riverside Parks and Recreation, 10 Pine Ave., is a pop tab collection site for Ronald McDonald House Charities during the month of March. Pop tabs, which lead to financial contributions to the charity, will be donated at the end of the month.
• The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo every Monday night. Doors open at 5 p.m. and games start at 7 p.m. minimum cash payout of $2,275 a night, plus pull tabs, lightning, tic-tac and raffles.
• Lyons Township High School invites the public to use the indoor track at the South Campus fieldhouse, 4900 S. Willow Springs Road in Western Spring on school days from 6 to 7 a.m. through March. No admission charge.