Let's get funky
North Riverside recreation promises a night of high-energy dancing to the classic Motown, R&B, funk and soul of R-Gang, who headline the next outdoor concert on Thursday, June 28 from 7 to 9 p.m. at the gazebo behind the North Riverside Village Commons, 2401 Desplaines Ave.
One of the best dance bands in the Chicago area, R-Gang brings a party to their shows. Bring your friends and family and enjoy the night's special concessions, including $1 nachos and Sugar Pie Country Punch.
Calling all Parrot Heads
You may not be able to visit the Caribbean, but the Brookfield Recreation Department would like to let you pretend you've gotten away to the tropics on Friday, June 29 at 7 p.m. when they present their next outdoor concert featuring Pirates Over 40.
The concert takes place at the band shell in Brookfield's Kiwanis Park, 8820 Brookfield Ave. bring a chair and a blanket and enjoy Pirates Over 40 play blend of tropical and yacht rock, including a healthy dollop of Jimmy Buffett
Food will be available for purchase. In case of inclement weather, concerts are held in the lower level of the Brookfield Village Hall, next door.
RAC annual Members Show
Riverside Arts Center, 32 E, Quincy St. presents its annual Members Exhibition and RAC Kids Show in the Freeark Gallery and FlexSpace gallery from July 1 through July 28.
The show features work in a variety of media and celebrates the creations of the center's talented members and students.
The exhibitions kick off Sunday, July 1 with an opening reception from 3 to 6 p.m. Admission to the reception and gallery are free. Gallery hours are Tuesday through Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m., except major holidays.
Join the landscape crew
The Frederick Law Olmsted Society will host its next Landscape Workday on Saturday, June 30 from 9 a.m. to noon at Big Ball Park, Delaplaine and Longcommon roads. Volunteers will be mulching.
Bring work gloves and a water bottle. All other supplies and snacks provided. Come for an hour or three, whatever your schedule allows. Supervised children welcome. Look for the public works dump truck.
• Riverside Township hosts its monthly free blood-pressure testing for seniors on July 2 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Riverside Township Hall, 27 Riverside Road in Riverside. Call 708-442-4400 for more info.
• The Riverside's Farmers Market continues every Wednesday from 2:30 to 7 p.m. through Oct. 10, in Centennial Park, 10 Pine Ave. Weekly scavenger hunt for kids, live music and more.
• The Brookfield Farmers Market is held every Saturday from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. through Oct. 13 in the parking lot of the village hall, 8820 Brookfield Ave. Weekly special events and live music.
• The Compassion Factory Art Gallery, 9210 Broadway Ave. in Brookfield, continues its exhibition featuring the work of two artists, Andrea Johnson and Heidi Burtner through July 7. Free and open to the public on Thursdays from 4 to 9 p.m.; Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and first Fridays from 7 to 10 p.m.
• Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., presents Mara Baker's show "A Mountain One Fence High – A Ribbon Two Yards Wide" in the outdoor Sculpture Garden through July. Admission is free. Gallery hours are Tuesday through Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m.
• Brookfield Public Library, 3609 Grand Blvd., invites you to a Brookfield 125 Digitization Party on June 28 at 7 p.m. Scan and digitize your historic photos for a new online database. On July 3, at 4 p.m. kids in grades K-2 can enjoy Castles and Catapults, listen to a medieval story and learn to make things fly. Registration required at 708-485-6917 or online at www.brookfieldlibrary.info.
• North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., hosts a Senior Drop-in on June 29 from 10 a.m. to noon in the Meeting Room. Play cards and socialize every Friday. For adults, there's Make a July 4 Holiday Paper Wreath on July 2 at 6:30 p.m. Free. To sign up call 708-447-0869. For kids, there's Stories & Play (thru age 5) on June 28 at 10:30 a.m.; Saturday Stories & Snacks (ages 2-5) on June 30 at 10:30 a.m.; Bingo/Loteria (all ages) on June 29 at 4 p.m.; and Wii Play Games and Watch Movies (teens/tweens) on June 30 from 1 to 3 p.m.
• The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo every Monday night. Doors open at 5 p.m. and games start at 7 p.m. minimum cash payout of $2,275 a night, plus pull tabs, lightning, tic-tac and raffles.