Holy hot rods!
• The Riverside Garage and Riverside Chamber of Commerce will host their second Cruise Night of the summer on Thursday, July 13 from 6 to 9 p.m. on East Burlington Street in downtown Riverside.
Stroll among the dozens of classic cars, listen to live music and enjoy food and beverages. Free.
• On Sunday, July 16 head to the 3700 block of Grand Boulevard in Brookfield for the Brookfield Chamber of Commerce's Classic Car and Bike Show from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Admission is free for spectators, who can enjoy food, music and prizes in addition to a downtown's worth of classic vehicles and motorcycles.
Hitting the high notes
• There will be plenty of live music to choose from in the next week, starting on Thursday, July 13 from 7 to 9 p.m. when North Riverside Parks and Recreation presents Rock, Paper, Scissors – a trio that produces full band sounds with classic music from the '50s, '60s, '70s and '80s.
The concert will be held at the Village Commons, 2401 Desplaines Ave., and the special concessions that night include cotton candy for the kids and $2 beers for adults.
In addition, North Riverside's Summer Craft Fair will take place at the same time and place. Free.
• On Friday, July 14 head over to the band shell in Kiwanis Park, Arden and Brookfield avenues in Brookfield, for the bluegrass, Americana and classic rock of Kaldi Jones. The concert is from 7 to 8:30 p.m.
In case of inclement weather, the concert will be held next door in the Brookfield Village Hall, 8820 Brookfield Ave. Free.
Brookfield Library art exhibit
Brookfield Public Library, 3609 Grand Blvd., invites the community to a special after-hours reception on Friday, July 14 at 6 p.m. to launch an exhibit by artist Jason Michael West. Attendees will have the opportunity to meet Rios and tour the exhibit, which will be on display through August.
For more information visit www.brookfieldlibrary.info.
Walk through the woods
Join John Kolar, an Olmsted Society member and site steward for the Forest Preserve District of Cook County, on a tour of the Waubansee Preserve on Saturday, July 15 from 3 to 4:30 p.m.
The Waubansee Preserve is located two blocks south of Forest Avenue and a half block west of First Avenue (enter Waubansee Road from First Avenue and park on the south side of the street).
Once owned by the Riverside Improvement Company the preserve contains remnants of pre-settlement flora and fauna of the region
LaGrange Craft Fair
Anyone looking for an artful way to spend the weekend can do so at the 43rd Annual LaGrange Craft Fair on July 15-16 on LaGrange Road between Burlington and Cossitt and on Harris Street from LaGrange to Ashland.
Nearly 200 artisans from throughout the Midwest will sell one-of-a-kind items, from original paintings to yard art to clothing, jewelry and soap. The fair takes place on July 15 from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. and on July 16 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Free parking is available in the garage behind the village hall.
• Evan and Sam Axelson will be outside Riverside Foods, 48 E. Burlington St. on Tuesday July 18 from 5 to 8 p.m. with their Lemonade for Cancer stand to raise money for the H Foundation to help prevent childhood cancer. Last year the boys raised $3,600, which went to the Lurie Cancer Center at Northwestern Memorial Hospital.
• The Brookfield Farmers Market continues on June 17 from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the west parking lot of the village hall, 8820 Brookfield Ave. The market will be held rain or shine every Saturday morning through Oct. 14.
• The Riverside Farmers Market continues on Wednesday, June 21 from 2:30 to 7 p.m. in Centennial Park at Longcommon Road and Forest Avenue. The market runs every Wednesday afternoon/evening through Oct. 11.
• Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., hosts its annual RAC Members Exhibition and RAC Kids Show through Aug. 5. An artists' reception, which open to the public, will be held Saturday, July 15 from 3 to 6 p.m. Free. Gallery hours are Tuesday through Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m.
• Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, hosts a presentation on Trail Degradation and Ecotourism with Joanne Dooley on July 18 at 7 p.m. in the Public Meeting Room.
• North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., hosts wargamer Glenn Domingo, who will present "Miniature War Games" and a demonstration of his fast-paced Ships of the Line naval game on July 18 at 6:30 p.m. Call 708-447-0869 to sign up.
Also, for those registered in its Summer Reading Program: Stories and Play (toddlers thru 5), July 13, 10:30 a.m.; Stories and Snacks (ages 2-5) on July 15 at 10:30 a.m.; Read Along with Ms. Nikki (grades 2-4), July 13, 3:30 p.m.; Lego Master Builders (1st grade+), July 14, 3:30 p.m.; Junior Builders (CD Wind Spinners/3-6 with adult), July 18, 10:30 a.m.; Big Builders (3D Paper House/7-up), July 19, 3:30 p.m.; Wii Games and Watch Movies (6th-12th grades), July 18, 6 to 8 p.m.; Just Craftin' Around (DIY Stress Ball and Magic Ball/6th-12th grade), July 15, 6 to 8 p.m.
• The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo every Monday night. Doors open at 5 p.m. and games start at 7 p.m. minimum cash payout of $2,275 a night, plus pull tabs, lightning, tic-tac and raffles.