Brookfield National Night Out
The Brookfield Chamber of Commerce will host National Night Out in appreciation of the Brookfield police and fire departments on Tuesday, Aug. 1 from 5 to 7 p.m. at Ehlert Park, 4400 Elm Ave.
Personnel from both the police and fire departments will be on hand to discuss crime prevention and fire safety, and there will be opportunities to view police and fire vehicles up close.
The event also features giveaways and tables set up with information on topics such as identity theft, cyber-bullying, elder safety and more. Don't miss this opportunity to meet and greet local first responders.
Movie in the Park
North Riverside Parks and Recreation invites families to Village Commons at 2401 Desplaines Ave. for a free Movie in the Park on Thursday, July 27 at 8:15 p.m.
Bring your lawn chairs and blankets and join your neighbors in watching the 2016 animated film Sing, featuring the voices of Matthew McConaughey, Reese Witherspoon, Seth MacFarlane and Scarlett Johansson.
Movies are screened right behind the Village Commons. Be sure to check out the concession. The special will be Drum Stick cones. Rain date is Aug. 2.
Picnic time? Czech!
The Czech American Congress will host its annual picnic and festival on Sunday, July 30 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Ehlert Park, 4400 Elm Ave. in Brookfield.
The festival features a polka band, arts and crafts, and Czech food, including sausages, potato pancakes, bakery and ice cream, as well as beverages will be available for purchase. The festival will also feature a performance by the United Moravian dance group.
Admission is free and all are welcome. Bring your folding chairs and enjoy the fun.
Shake, rattle and roll on over to the North Riverside Village Commons, 2401 Desplaines Ave., on Aug. 1 from 1:30 to 3 p.m. for a special '50s-themed Bingo.
Wear your Fifties attire and enjoy a sweet treat and refreshments while trying your luck. The fee is $5 ($6 non-residents) and pre-registration is required by calling 708-442-5515.
Rock out with The Millennials
The Brookfield Recreation Department continues its Outdoor Concert Series with the classic rock of The Millennials on Friday, July 28 at 7 p.m.
The Millennials "bring a fresh new style, covering rock 'n' roll classics from Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, Guns N' Roses, Foo Fighters, Tom Petty, Aerosmith and many others" while "mixing in popular dance tracks keeping everyone entertained."
Concerts are held at the band shell in Kiwanis Park, Arden and Brookfield avenues. In case of inclement weather, the concert will be held next door, inside the Brookfield Village Hall, 8820 Brookfield Ave. Free.
• The Brookfield and Riverside Chambers of Commerce will host special after-hours event at Brookfield Zoo, 3300 Golf Road, on July 27 from 6 to 8 p.m. at the Bramsen Animal Ambassador Building. Visit with animal ambassadors while enjoying drinks and appetizers with chamber members. RSVP at Jennifer.Baader@czs.org
• The Frederick Law Olmsted Society hosts a guided walking tour of Riverside's north division on July 30 from 2 to 4 p.m. Meet at the Riverside train station, east side of the platform. Tickets are $15 ($10 seniors 62+ and FLOS members). Custom tours available. Call 708-442-7675 or email email@example.com.
• Join John Kolar, Olmsted Society member and site steward for the Forest Preserve District of Cook County, for a guided tour of Zoo Woods on July 29 at 3 p.m. Zoo Woods is located south of 31st Street on the east side of First Avenue. Park at the north end of the U-shaped lot. Free. Bring a water bottle and wear long pants.
• Brookfield Public Library, 3609 Grand Blvd., hosts an exhibition of work by artist Jason Michael West through the month of August. For more information visit www.brookfieldlibrary.info.
• The Brookfield Farmers Market continues on June 17 from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the west parking lot of the village hall, 8820 Brookfield Ave. The market will be held rain or shine every Saturday morning through Oct. 14.
• The Riverside Farmers Market continues on Wednesday, June 21 from 2:30 to 7 p.m. in Centennial Park at Longcommon Road and Forest Avenue. The market runs every Wednesday afternoon/evening through Oct. 11.
• Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., hosts its annual RAC Members Exhibition and RAC Kids Show through Aug. 5. Gallery hours are Tuesday through Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m.
• Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, hosts Riverside author Ben Sells for a presentation and signing of his book The Tunnel Under the Lake on July 27 at 7 p.m. in the Great Room. The book tells the story of engineer Ellis Chesbrough, who designed the two-mile tunnel that brought fresh water to Chicago residents in 1867.
• North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., continues its Wednesday Movie Matinee with the Alfred Hitchcock classic Rear Window, starring Grace Kelly and James Stewart, on Aug. 2 at 2 p.m. Free. Drop-in only.
• The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo every Monday night. Doors open at 5 p.m. and games start at 7 p.m. minimum cash payout of $2,275 a night, plus pull tabs, lightning, tic-tac and raffles.