Riverside Garden Walk
The Frederick Law Olmsted Society invites you to join landscape architect Scott Mehaffey in a guided sidewalk tour of some of Riverside's outstanding front yard gardens during Garden Walk 2017 on Sunday, July 9 from 2 to 4 p.m.
Get tips for your own home garden, enjoy the scenery or marvel at some Riverside architectural treasures, including Victorian, Prairie style and mid-century modern homes, as you wander the curving streets of the National Historic Landmark village.
Participants are asked to gather at the downtown Riverside train station, 90 Bloomingbank Road. Be prepared for an hour-and-a-half to two-hour tour. Bring a water bottle and your burning questions about landscape design.
Tickets are free, but the tour is limited to 30 people. Two tickets, maximum, per person. To register for the event, visit online at www.olmstedsociety.org.
Satisfy your Soul
Brookfield's Recreation department turns up the heat on Friday, July 7 from 7 to 8 p.m. when it presents Chi-Town Soul to headline its next installment of the Outdoor Summer Concert Series at the Kiwanis Park band shell, Arden and Brookfield avenues.
Bring a blanket or lawn chair and enjoy old-school R&B, soul and disco. In case of inclement weather, the concert will be held next door at the village hall, 8820 Brookfield Ave.
Wastin' away in North Riverside
North Riverside Parks and Recreation invites anyone who likes a little tropical rock –including hits by Jimmy Buffett, punctuated by an eclectic mix of classic rock and oldies – to its next free Concert in Park featuring Pirates Over 40 on Thursday, July 6 from 7 to 9 p.m.
The concert will be held at the Village Commons, 2401 Desplaines Ave. Bring a lawn chair and enjoy the music and concessions, which will include snow cones for kids and "Pineapple Paradise" drinks for adults.
Chicago by Design
North Riverside Public Library, 2401 Desplaines Ave., hosts "Chicago by Design: Architectural Vistas for a Visitor's Eyes" on July 12 at 6:30 p.m.
The presentation, by David Clark, author of Exploring Route 66 Chicagoland, highlights structures seen along Jackson Boulevard from its time as a central thoroughfare for railroad travelers to its designation as Route 66.
To sign up, call 708-447-0869 or go online at www.northriversidelibrary.org/events.
• The Brookfield Farmers Market continues on June 17 from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the west parking lot of the village hall, 8820 Brookfield Ave. The market will be held rain or shine every Saturday morning through Oct. 14.
• The Riverside Farmers Market continues on Wednesday, June 21 from 2:30 to 7 p.m. in Centennial Park at Longcommon Road and Forest Avenue. The market runs every Wednesday afternoon/evening through Oct. 11.
• Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., hosts its annual RAC Members Exhibition and RAC Kids Show through Aug. 5. An artists' reception, which open to the public, will be held Saturday, July 15 from 3 to 6 p.m. Free. Gallery hours are Tuesday through Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m.
• Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, hosts a Mixed Perennial/Tree/Shrub Design workshop on July 8 at 2 p.m. in the Public Meeting Room. Learn the basics from drawing a mixed garden plan. Materials provided.; Jaymie Middendorf moderates a discussion of Dark Matter, this summer's Millennial Book Club selection on July 12 at 7 p.m. in the Quiet Reading Room.
• North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., hosts the following events for those registered in its Summer Reading Program: Stories and Play (toddlers thru 5), July 6, 10:30 a.m.; Read Along with Ms. Nikki (grades 2-4), July 6, 3:30 p.m.; Family Bingo/Loteria Familia (family), July 8, 2 p.m.; Junior Builders (DIY Airplane/3-6 with adult), July 11, 10:30 a.m.; Big Builders (DIY Minecraft Selfie/7-up), July 12, 3:30 p.m.; Wii Games and Watch Movies (6th-12th grades), July 5 and 10, 6 to 8 p.m.; Just Craftin' Around (Make Your Own Chalkboard/6th-12th grade), July 11, 6 to 8 p.m.; Animanga Club (6th-12th grade), July 12, 6 to 8 p.m.
The Brookfield Chamber of Commerce hosts is monthly business luncheon on June 8 at noon at Irish Times, 8869 Burlington Ave., in Brookfield.
• Lyons Township High School football parents, alumni, coaches and fans are invited to participate in the first annual LT Football Golf Outing on Friday, July 14 at 1 p.m. at Waters Edge Golf Course in Worth. The cost is $125 per player, which includes golf, a cart, buffet dinner and LT football shirt. For non-golfers, a $50 buffet dinner and football shirt are available. To sign up, pay online at www.lths.net/webstore, email to email@example.com or call 847-224-5392.
• The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo every Monday night. Doors open at 5 p.m. and games start at 7 p.m. minimum cash payout of $2,275 a night, plus pull tabs, lightning, tic-tac and raffles.