Families rock at Brookfield Library
Families are in for a special after-hours treat on Friday, July 6 at 6:30 p.m. when Brookfield Public Library, 3609 Grand Blvd., hosts award-winning musician and author Jim Gill.
A singer, songwriter and children's book author, Gill has released seven CDs of music for children that are favorites in family rooms, classrooms and playrooms. Get ready to clap, dance and sneeze along to Gill's distinctive music.
Admission is free, but registration is required online at www.brookfieldlibrary.info, by calling 708-485-6917, ext. 140 or in person at the Youth Services desk.
'Summer Nights' return
Brookfield Zoo, 3300 Golf Road in Brookfield, gears up for its annual series of Summer Nights concerts, starting this weekend with a pair of area favorites.
Each evening kicks off at 4 p.m. on the East Mall with kids games and activities, and more family entertainment follows at 5:30 p.m. Then, at 7 p.m., the music starts and concert-gores can relax and listen on their blankets and lawn chairs.
On Friday, July 6, the zoo presents classic rock cover band ARRA, and on Saturday, July 7, they bring the original rock and classic covers of 7th Heaven.
Summer Nights concerts are included with regular zoo admission and parking charges. Visit www.CZS.org for more information.
It's a bird, it's a plane it's …
North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., continues its Wednesday Movie Matinee series on Wednesday, July 11 at 2 p.m. with the 1978 film "Superman," starring Christopher Reeve, Margot Kidder and an all-star cast.
The blockbuster film was nominated for three Academy Award, and its groundbreaking special effects earned a special achievement award. Admission is free. Just drop in.
New play at 16th Street Theater
16th Street Theater, 6420 W. 16th St. in Berwyn, presents the premiere of Aline Lathrop's "The Hero's Wife," directed by Anne Filmer and Miguel Nunez from July 12 through Aug. 18.
"The Hero's Wife" features Alex Fisher and Aaron Christensen and tells the story of a Navy SEAL and his wife and their complex relationship, which differs from day to night.
Tickets ($22 general admission) can be purchased online at www.16thstreettheater.org or by phone at 708-795-6704. Free parking available.
Piano jazz at Plymouth Place
Plymouth Place, 315 N. LaGrange Road in LaGrange Park, presents a concert of jazz favorites by pianist Jeremy Kahn on Thursday, July 5 at 7:15 p.m. in Dole Hall.
Kahn has played around the world with dozens of jazz popular music greats, including Dizzy Gillespie, Max Roach, Charlie Haden and Aretha Franklin.
• North Riverside Recreation hosts a free concert featuring the band Shout Out at the gazebo behind the North Riverside Village Commons, 2401 Desplaines Ave. on July 5 at 7 p.m. Concession specials are snow cones and Sunshine Slammers. Concert will be held indoor in case of inclement weather.
• Hitzeman Funeral Home, 9445 31st St. in Brookfield, hosts is next grief support gathering on July 10 at 6:30 p.m. The theme for this gathering is "How to Utilize Your Support System." RSVP by July 6 to firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 708-485-2000. Refreshments follow.
• Riverside Arts Center, 32 E, Quincy St. presents its annual Members Exhibition and RAC Kids Show in the Freeark Gallery and FlexSpace gallery through July 28. Also, Mara Baker's show "A Mountain One Fence High – A Ribbon Two Yards Wide" is in the outdoor Sculpture Garden through July. Admission to gallery is free. Hours are Tuesday through Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m., except major holidays.
• The Riverside's Farmers Market continues every Wednesday from 2:30 to 7 p.m. through Oct. 10, in Centennial Park, 10 Pine Ave. Weekly scavenger hunt for kids, live music and more.
• The Brookfield Farmers Market is held every Saturday from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. through Oct. 13 in the parking lot of the village hall, 8820 Brookfield Ave. Weekly special events and live music.
• The Compassion Factory Art Gallery, 9210 Broadway Ave. in Brookfield, continues its exhibition featuring the work of two artists, Andrea Johnson and Heidi Burtner through July 7. Free and open to the public on Thursdays from 4 to 9 p.m.; Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and first Fridays from 7 to 10 p.m.
• North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., hosts a Senior Drop-in on July 6 from 10 a.m. to noon in the Meeting Room. Play cards and socialize every Friday. For kids, there's Open Play Drop-in (ages 2-5) on July 5 at 10:30 a.m.; Love2Read (grades K-1) on July 7 at 2 p.m.; Bilingual Storytime (ages 2+) on July 11 at 10:30 a.m.; Mini Crafters (ages 3-6) on July 10 at 10:30 a.m. (mosaic mural); Mega Crafters (ages 7 ) on July 5 (red, white and blue coloring) and July 11 (DIY kites); and Coding Club (teens/tweens) on July 9 at 6 p.m.
• The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo every Monday night. Doors open at 5 p.m. and games start at 7 p.m. minimum cash payout of $2,275 a night, plus pull tabs, lightning, tic-tac and raffles.