Dueling pianos in Brookfield
The Brookfield Recreation Department caps its Outdoor Concert Series with the Dario Radio Dueling Pianos on Friday, Aug. 11 at 7 p.m.
The high-energy show, driven by audience requests, goes heavy on both music and comedy.
Concerts are held at the band shell in Kiwanis Park, Arden and Brookfield avenues. In case of inclement weather, the concert will be held next door, inside the Brookfield Village Hall, 8820 Brookfield Ave. Free.
End of summer bash
North Riverside Recreation hosts an Adults' End of Summer Bash at the Village Commons, 2401 Desplaines Ave., on Tuesday, Aug. 15 from noon to 1:30 p.m.
Dress in your best Hawaiian shirt or beach attire (you can leave the Speedos and bikinis at home) and enjoy pulled pork sandwiches and several fun sides for lunch. Afterward there will be special games.
The fee is $9 ($11 non-residents). Register by calling 708-442-5515.
Mysteries of Riverside revealed
Join Riverside resident and scholar Jim Petrzilka on Thursday, Aug. 10 at 7 p.m. in the Great Room of the Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, for his presentation "Riverside: The History and the Mysteries."
Petrzilka will explain how it all started and how Riverside evolved through the years, why the village is world famous and what mysteries lie within its borders.
Brookfield resident and music historian Ian Tiele presents "The Detroit Sound: The History of Motown Records" on Wednesday, Aug. 9 at 7 p.m. at the Brookfield Public Library, 3609 Grand Blvd.
Experience the Motown sound through a fun musical montage. Register to attend by visiting www.brookfieldlibrary.info or by calling 708-485-6917.
Time travel to Scotland
Chicago Scots present the Scottish American History Forum Movie Night on Tuesday, Aug. 15 with the episode one from the first season of the historical time travel series Outlander, which tells the story of a World War II era nurse who is magically transported to 1743 Scotland, where she meets a Highland warrior.
The movie nights are held the third Tuesday of each month in the Heritage Hall of The Scottish Home, 2800 Desplaines Ave. in North Riverside. A light supper begins at 6 p.m., followed by the movie at 6:30. Free, but donations are welcome. RSVP to 708-447-5092.
• The Frederick Law Olmsted Society invites the public to join in at its next landscape workday on Aug. 12 from 9 a.m. to noon for a weeding expedition along Riverside Road in Riverside. Bring work gloves and a water bottle. All other supplies and snacks provided. Look for the Riverside Public Works truck.
• The Brookfield Chamber of Commerce will be collecting school supply donations to help the less fortunate start the school year with the tools they need through Aug. 18 at First National Bank of Brookfield, 9136 Washington Ave.; Edward Jones Investments, 9136 Broadway Ave.; and the Brookfield Farmers Market (Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Brookfield Village Hall, 8820 Brookfield Ave).
The chamber will also host its next business luncheon on Aug. 10 at noon at Mary's Morning Mix-Up, 9110 Broadway Ave.
• Enjoy string quartet music from composers from Haiti, Colombia, Egypt, Nigeria, Taiwan and the Chickasaw Nation during a performance by the Crossing Borders Music Collective on Aug. 12 at 7:15 p.m. at Plymouth Place's Dole Hall, 315 N. LaGrange Road in LaGrange Park. And open to the public, but reservations requested by calling 708-354-0340 or emailing email@example.com.
• Brookfield Public Library, 3609 Grand Blvd., hosts an exhibition of work by artist Jason Michael West through the month of August.
The library also hosts "Going Incognito: Protecting Your Internet Privacy" on Aug. 10 at 7 p.m. and "Make Your Own Flower Crown" on Aug. 14 at 7 p.m. using silk flowers. Registration required for both programs at www.brookfieldlibrary.info or 708-485-6917.
• The Brookfield Farmers Market continues on Aug. 12 from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the west parking lot of the village hall, 8820 Brookfield Ave. The market will be held rain or shine every Saturday morning through Oct. 14.
• The Riverside Farmers Market continues on Aug. 9 and 16 from 2:30 to 7 p.m. in Centennial Park at Longcommon Road and Forest Avenue. The market runs every Wednesday afternoon/evening through Oct. 11.
• North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., continues its youth services programs for those registered in the library's Summer Reading Program with Stories & Play (5-under), Aug. 10 at 10:30 a.m.; Lego Master Builders (1st grade+), Aug. 11 at 3:30 p.m.; Big Builders/DIY Wind Chimes (ages 7 ), Aug. 9 at 3:30 p.m.
The library also welcomes Chef Michael Niksic who will share ice cream recipes during "Creating Ice Cream Dreams" on Aug. 16 at 6:30 p.m. Free. To sign up call 708-447-0869 or visit www.northriversidelibrary.org/events.
• The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo every Monday night. Doors open at 5 p.m. and games start at 7 p.m. minimum cash payout of $2,275 a night, plus pull tabs, lightning, tic-tac and raffles.