La Grange School District 102, in collaboration with Helping Hand, is conducting screenings for children birth to age 5 for children living within district boundaries. The purpose of the preschool screening is to assess those children whose parents have concerns about delays in their child's development in any of the following areas: vision, hearing, speech and language, fine and gross motor skills, or cognitive development. This is not a general developmental screening nor does it replace a child's routine visits to the doctor. Children from birth to 2 years, 10 months will be screened by Helping Hand, which works in collaboration with District 102. Children age 2 years, 10 months to age 5 will be screened by District 102.
Parents will be required to complete a questionnaire for each child prior to scheduling a screening. Based on the results, parents will be notified if their child should attend a screening. To request a questionnaire, please call Doreen Robinson at 708-215-6826.
All screenings will be held at Barnsdale Road School, 920 Barnsdale Road, La Grange Park, unless noted: Sept. 25, Nov. 6 (held at LaGrange Community Center, 200 S. Washington, La Grange), Dec. 18, Jan. 29, Feb. 26, Apr. 9.
Depending on the results of the screening, a child could potentially be considered for the following:
- Early Intervention Services (Birth to 3) – determined by Helping Hand and provided by public agencies not related to District 102 services
- Vision and hearing referrals to a child's private practitioner (Ages 3-5)
- Fine and gross motor recommendation for home activities
- Pre-Kindergarten At-Risk Programs – programs providing school for children ages 3- 5 determined to be at-risk for achieving educational success.
- Early Childhood Special Education – screening team will refer children identified as experiencing significant developmental delays for further evaluation to determine eligibility for special education services.
With over 3,100 elementary students in six schools, La Grange School District 102 serves portions of the communities of La Grange, La Grange Park and Brookfield.
*Submitted by the LaGrange School District 102.