Riverside police: RBHS shooting rumor is false

Someone phoned bogus tip to radio station

Updated:

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Print

By Bob Uphues

Editor

UPDATED: March 2, 2017 at 12:02 p.m.

A rumor that two students had been shot and killed at Riverside-Brookfield High School and that the school is on lockdown is false, said Riverside Police Chief Thomas Weitzel, whose detectives have pinpointed the origin of the rumor, which had begun to spread on the morning of March 2.

Weitzel said he first heard about the rumor from a producer at WBBM radio, who called at 10:10 a.m. on March 2 to confirm an anonymous tip that had been left on the radio station's "news tip" voicemail.

After being contacted, Weitzel called the school's public safety liaison, Lane Niemann, who said there had been no such incident and that the school was operating normally.

Weitzel said the rumor was beginning to spread and that someone he described as a "concerned parent" had walked into the Riverside police station to ask about it. Riverside police responded to the high school as a precaution.

"It's completely false," he said.

What happened, Weitzel told the Landmark, is that a student at RBHS received a text message on her phone regarding a March 2 shooting that left two people dead at Central Michigan University.

The student forwarded the message to her father, who, according to Weitzel, misread the text and believed it involved RBHS. The father contacted another relative, who apparently phoned the radio station, said Weitzel.

"It just shows you how quickly things get out of control," Weitzel said.

Contact:
Email: buphues@wjinc.com Twitter: @RBLandmark

Reader Comments

No Comments - Add Your Comment

Note: This page requires you to login with Facebook to comment.

Comment Policy

Facebook Connect

Quick Links

Sign-up to get the latest news updates for Riverside and Brookfield.


            
SubscribeClassified
MultimediaContact us
Submit Letter To The Editor
Place a Classified Ad

Classified Ad