Riverside police last week charged a Lombard woman with eight separate charges including battery of a police officer and paramedic after an incident that played out in the parking lot of the Riverside Psychiatric and Counseling Associates, 7234 Ogden Ave. at 12:47 p.m. on March 29.

According to police, Artesta Lewis, 53, walked into a therapy session taking place at the office, demanding that the doctor prescribe medications for her. About an hour earlier, the woman had appeared at the doctor’s former office in Downers Grove, causing a scene there, but left before police had arrived.

Police said that Lewis’ doctor, who hadn’t seen her in over a year, told them that Lewis had been calling his office for the past three weeks, harassing staff and demanding prescriptions. When the doctor told Lewis she wouldn’t be getting any prescriptions, Lewis reportedly caused another scene in the outer lobby of the building, prompting staff to call police.

At that time, according to the report, the woman climbed into her GMC van, locked the doors and started driving back and forth in the parking lot, striking other vehicles parked there.

An officer blocked the driveway leading out of the lot, approached the van and ordered Lewis out. Lewis then began driving in circles in the lot and the officer injured his hand after attempting to grab onto the side mirror of the van.

After repeatedly refusing orders to leave the van, an officer smashed the passenger-side window of the van and officers physically removed Lewis. Paramedics summoned to the scene placed Lewis in an ambulance, where she allegedly kicked one of the paramedics. Lewis was transported to MacNeal Hospital in Berwyn, where she was treated until April 12, when she was released into police custody.

Riverside police charged Lewis with two counts of battery, two counts of obstructing an officer, three counts of disorderly conduct and one count of resisting arrest. She was released after posting bond and is scheduled to appear in court on April 21.


A resident of the 3200 block of Arthur Avenue, Brookfield, reported that just after 8:30 a.m. on April 12, she was awakened by a loud crash and that moments later a white male, about 5 feet, 5 inches tall, with a grown out crew cut and wearing a white T-shirt opened her bedroom door and looked in.

When the woman asked who he was, the man shut the door and ran down the stairs. The woman then ran to a neighbor’s house to phone police, who couldn’t find anyone in the area. According to the report, a window on the south side of the house was broken and hanging by pulley cords. A fence normally attached to the house was also broken away.

The woman reported that a computer CPU and possibly a laptop computer were missing from the home.

Brookfield police reported that sometime during the overnight hours of April 4-5, someone broke into the Brookfield VFW Hall, 8844 Ogden Ave., and made off with $6,000 in cash. According to the report, the hall was closed at 11 p.m. on April 4. At 8:30 a.m. the next morning the north alley door was open and crash bar pulled out from it. Police also discovered pry marks on the door frame. A broken roll of quarters was found on the floor next to a copy machine, and entry was made to the office safe and lock boxes.

Hit and run

Riverside police charged Berwyn resident John P. Zeman, 29, with leaving the scene of a personal injury accident, after he allegedly drove his 1995 Chevy into a 2001 Kia at the intersection of 26th Street and Harlem Avenue and fled the scene just after 7 p.m. on April 14.

The victim, a 44-year-old Chicago woman, who suffered cuts and bruises in the crash, got the license plate number of the vehicle that had struck her car. Police tracked that license to an address in the 6800 block of Windsor Avenue in Berwyn, where Zeman was arrested just after 9 p.m.

In addition, Zeman was cited for driving on a suspended license, driving an uninsured vehicle and failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident.

Attempted scam

Brookfield police are warning residents of someone apparently attempting to perpetrate a scam by posing as a sewer inspector. Just before 4:30 p.m. on April 12 a man described as white, between 35 and 40 years old, about 5-8 to 5-10, with a chubby build and wearing a white T-shirt, appeared at the door of a house in the 3100 block of Oak Avenue.

He told the 92-year-old resident of the home that there were problems with the sewers in the area and that he needed to check the water pressure inside her house. The woman refused to let the man in, despite repeated requests by the man to do so.

When a neighbor drove up in the alley and saw the man on his neighbor’s doorstep, the man immediately walked to a waiting silver late model Chevy Trailblazer, which was driven by another man, got in and left the area.

These items were obtained from police reports filed by the Riverside and Brookfield police departments from March 29 through April 16 and which represents a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Unless otherwise indicated, anyone named in these reports has only been charged with a crime. The cases have not yet been adjudicated.

?”Compiled by Bob Uphues