Riverside police were forced to shut down First Avenue between Ogden Avenue and Parkview Avenue for 51 minutes following a four-car crash that injured three people just before 11:30 a.m. on May 15.

According to the report, based on conflicting statements given by those involved and by witnesses, police were not able to press charges against anyone involved in the crash.

Drivers of the two vehicles involved in the initial crash?”a 2004 Nissan driven by a 22-year-old Addison man and a 1994 Galbreath semi-tractor trailer driven by a 38-year-old Waukesha, Wis. man?”have accused each other of crossing the double yellow line and striking the rear portion of their vehicles.

In any event, the crash sent the 2004 Nissan, which was traveling southbound, spinning out of control and into two vehicles in the northbound lanes of traffic. Neither of the drivers of the two other vehicles involved had seen the initial impact, and both were unable to provide police with additional information.

The driver of the 2004 Nissan was transported to Loyola University Medical Center for treatment of minor injuries and released. The truck driver was not injured.

Meanwhile, the 57-year old woman driving a 2005 Chevy Cavalier, which was heavily damaged when the Nissan struck it, had to be extricated from the vehicle by Riverside Fire Department personnel. She was also transported to Loyola for treatment of a broken ankle, according to police.

The Nissan also struck a 1998 Mazda driven by a 61-year-old Orland Park woman. She was treated for minor injuries at MacNeal Hospital in Berwyn.

Police also interviewed two other witnesses at the scene, but neither saw the initial impact. Police, however, continue to investigate and have asked that anyone who was an eyewitness to the incident call the Riverside Police Department at 447-2127.


 Riverside police charged a 28-year-old Chicago man with domestic battery and resisting arrest after he allegedly battered his girlfriend during an altercation just before noon on May 25 in an apartment in the first block of Forest Avenue.

Police received a call from the victim’s sister, who reported that during a phone call she heard the victim arguing with her boyfriend. Police responded to the apartment and learned that the man, who was the victim’s boyfriend, had grabbed her by the hair and yanked her to the floor.

During the arrest, the man began to resist police and eventually toppled over on top on one of the responding officers, who injured his wrist in the process. The man was held on $25,000 bail.

 Brookfield police charged Bolingbrook resident LaShawn P. Rainey with battery and other offenses after an incident that played out just before 8 a.m. on May 25 in the 4500 block of Sunnyside Avenue.

According to the police report, when officers arrived at the scene, they were met by a male victim who stated that Rainey had fled the scene after breaking the windshield of a vehicle by jumping on it and throwing a backpack into it. The victim also said Rainey had struck him.

Police apprehended Rainey nearby and charged him with battery, criminal damage to property and telephone harassment. They also found that there were several outstanding warrants for Rainey’s arrest, including four from DuPage County, where he was wanted for battery and for failing to appear in court on two cannabis possession charges, driving on a suspended license and attempting to obstruct police. He was also wanted on a warrant by Will County Sheriff’s police for failure to appear in court in connection with multiple traffic offenses.


 Riverside police charged Brookfield resident Matthew L. Williams, 31, with aggravated driving under the influence after an officer clocked Williams’ vehicle traveling 52 mph in a 35 mph zone while westbound on 26th Street and Westover Avenue just before 4:30 a.m. on May 23.

Williams reportedly continued southbound on Desplaines Avenue, where an officer reported numerous lane violations, including driving south in the northbound lanes of traffic.

After reportedly failing field sobriety tests, a breath test revealed a blood-alcohol level of .221, which is almost three times the legal limit. A felony DUI charge was approved by the Cook County State’s Attorney after police found that Williams had two prior convictions for drunk driving in 1996 and 1998 in Virginia. His bond was set at $100,000.

 Riverside police charged Brookfield resident Norma M. Mucci, 37, with driving under the influence after her 1999 Honda was reported traveling 18 mph in a 40 mph zone in the vicinity of First Avenue and 31st Street.

Police reported that Mucci appeared intoxicated and that she failed field sobriety tests. She was also cited for an illegal turn.

These items were obtained from police reports filed by the Riverside and Brookfield police departments from May 15 through May 25 and which represents a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Unless otherwise indicated, anyone named in these reports has only been charged with a crime. The cases have not yet been adjudicated.

?”Compiled by Bob Uphues