Five properties on Brookfield’s south end were tagged with gang-related graffiti on Sunday and Monday, police have reported.

On Sunday just after 11 a.m., Brookfield police received word that a pair of businesses in the 8900 block of 47th Street had gang graffiti written on their front windows in what appeared to be white shoe polish.

Then on Monday, just after midnight, a Brookfield police officer on patrol reported that two overhead garage doors and a fence were tagged with gang graffiti in white spray paint.

Vehicle break-ins

Sometime during the overnight hours of July 13 and 14, someone entered a 2006 Jeep parked in the driveway of a home in the 9100 block of Burlington Avenue, Brookfield, and removed from the dashboard a Tom Tom global positioning system unit valued at $300.

A 37-year-old Chicago man reported to North Riverside police that between 6:15 and 6:45 p.m. on July 16, someone broke into his 2000 Chevy van and removed several tools.

The victim parked the van in the lot at the North Riverside Plaza in the 7300 block of 25th Street while he was working at one of the businesses there. When he returned, police reported, the lock on the rear door had been removed. A tool bag containing 25 assorted hand tools and a Makita cordless drill was missing.


A 43-year-old North Riverside man reported to police on July 14 that while he was paying for gas at the BP station at 26th and Desplaines on the night of July 13, someone entered his 2007 BMW and made off with his briefcase.

According to the report, the victim did not notice the briefcase was gone until the following morning and that it must have been pilfered around 9:15 p.m. July 13, while he was away from his car at the gas station. The briefcase reportedly contained a laptop computer, external hard drive and various work papers.

A woman who lives in the 2500 block of Forest Avenue, North Riverside, reported to police on July 13 that jewelry and a digital camera were taken from her home, most likely during a large party of the Fourth of July.

The victim stated that about 100 people were in and out of her home between the hours of 10 a.m. July 4 and 5 a.m. July 5. Taken from one of the bedrooms was a white gold ring with diamonds and emeralds in the shape of a heart and a Nikon Coolpix S60 camera.


Brookfield police charged Chicago resident Michael T. Hett, 40, with driving under the influence after stopping him for a series of traffic offenses on July 17.

Police said that just before 11 p.m., Hett’s 1999 Acura made a wide left turn from Sunnyside Avenue onto eastbound Ogden Avenue, nearly striking the south curb, and then crossed the center line twice before it was stopped at Anna Avenue in Lyons.

Hett’s blood-alcohol level was listed at .175, which is more than twice the legal limit of .08. In addition to DUI, he was cited for five offenses related to traffic and vehicle equipment.

A 53-year-old Chicago man faces felony DUI charges after Riverside police stopped him for alleged erratic driving on Harlem Avenue on July 19 around 10:15 p.m.

According to the police report, a motorist called to report a reckless driver in a red Jeep Cherokee. An officer located the vehicle, reporting that it was drifting from lane to lane in the 3500 block of Harlem Avenue.

During the traffic stop at 39th Street, police reported seeing an open beer can in the center console cup holder and learned that Aviles’ driver’s license was suspended and that he was wanted on two warrants, including one for DUI.

The Cook County State’s Attorney approved upgrading the DUI charges to felony status.

A Chicago man whose blood-alcohol level was reportedly almost five times the legal limit was charged with DUI by Brookfield police who found him sleeping in his car just after 3:30 p.m. on July 19.

Police were called to the 3500 block of Maple Avenue to respond to a complaint of possible intoxicated motorist inside a 2006 Chevy Cobalt. Police found the vehicle, which was running and the key in the ignition, parked there.

Inside was Martin X. Gallegos, 39, who appeared to be sleeping. Police reported that he appeared intoxicated and refused to take field sobriety tests. At the police station, he did take a breath test, which registered Gallegos’s blood-alcohol level at .388.

These items were obtained from police reports filed by the Riverside, North Riverside and Brookfield police departments from July 13 through July 20 and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Unless otherwise indicated, anybody named in these reports has only been charged with a crime. These cases have not been adjudicated.

– Compiled by Bob Uphues