When Solomon Aguilera steps into Room 107 at the Maybrook courthouse on March 25, it will be just four days short of a year since he was charged with killing 57-year-old Angelina Meza and severely injuring two others in a head-on car crash on First Avenue in Riverside.

Facing 14 felony counts including reckless homicide and aggravated driving under the influence, Aguilera was expected to accept a plea deal back in December 2009 that would send him to prison for about 10 years. But in three consecutive court appearances, Aguilera has instead had his case continued.

“It suggests problems between Aguilera and his attorney,” said Cook County Assistant State’s Attorney Jamie Santini, who is prosecuting the case.

With several of Meza’s relatives sitting in the court room, Aguilera, 28, appeared before Judge Carol Kipperman on Feb. 25 only to ask for another continuance in his case. One of those in the courtroom was Meza’s sister, 63-year-old Margarita Rios, who suffered serious injuries in the March 29, 2009 crash and spent six months in the hospital. David Meza, brother to both women, was also seriously injured in the crash.

Several members of Aguilera’s family also attended the brief hearing last week.

Santini said that both sides met with Kipperman late last year and that the details of the plea agreement are final. So far, however, Aguilera has hesitated to accept the deal.

Asked what was holding up a decision, Aguilera’s attorney, Susana Ortiz declined to elaborate.

“I can’t comment at this time,” Ortiz said. “It really wouldn’t be appropriate.”

Santini said that he’s fairly certain that Aguilera will agree to the plea deal on March 25. If he does, Aguilera will also be sentenced by Kipperman. Because of the type of offense, Aguilera would have to serve 85 percent of his sentence.

Police have testified that Aguilera’s blood-alcohol level was three times the legal limit at the time of the crash and lab results reportedly revealed he also had cocaine in his system.

In addition, Aguilera’s driver’s license had been revoked prior to the crash for two previous DUI convictions, according to police.