Web Extra!

Careless smoking reportedly caused a fire that damaged a Brookfield home this afternoon. Fire Chief Patrick Lenzi said that firefighters were able to contain the blaze to a bedroom on the upper floor of a two-story brick house in the 4100 block of Park Avenue, although smoke damaged much of home’s interior.

The home’s owner called 911 just after 2:20 p.m. today. Firefighters from Brookfield, Lyons, Riverside, LaGrange, McCook, LaGrange Park, Pleasantview and Forest View responded to the secene. The fire was struck within minutes, Lenzi said.

No one was injured, but it was unclear whether the house would be immediately inhabitable. ComEd cut power to the house, Lenzi said. A village building inspector was expected to visit the home this afternoon.