Gunfire was reported early Friday morning in both Riverside and North Riverside, according to police, who are continuing to investigate the incident.

Riverside police confirmed that at least four shots were fired in the 100 block of Northgate Avenue at about 2:50 a.m., when they received several 911 calls of gunfire coming from that area.

Shortly after Riverside police were dispatched to respond to the incident, North Riverside police responded to the 2900 block of Groveland Avenue for a report of shots fired there.

No one appears to have been wounded by any gunshots and police could not find evidence that the shots had struck any buildings. Police also did not locate any suspects in either village.

However, police reported finding four .45-caliber shell casings on the street and parkway area along Northgate Road between Desplaines and Westover avenues.

Riverside Police Chief Thomas Weitzel said just one North Riverside resident called about hearing gunshots, and that the shots the North Riverside caller heard may have been fired in Riverside. The 2900 block of Groveland Avenue is within a half mile of where the shell casings were recovered.

The North Riverside witness reported seeing a black SUV leaving the area around the time the shots were fired. Police stopped a black SUV and searched it, but there was no evidence the vehicle was involved, Weitzel said.

A resident of the 100 block of Northgate Avenue contacted by the Landmark on Friday afternoon said he heard two separate bursts of gunfire some time after 2 a.m. The man was up reading at the time and a sliding glass door to his home was open when he heard a “pop, pop, pop about five times.”

About five or six seconds later, he heard four more pops, although they sounded different than the first set, the resident said.

North Riverside Police Chief Anthony Garvey was not immediately available for comment.

In a press release Weitzel said, “The case is still being investigated at this time. However, officers have re-canvassed the area, walked the area on foot checking for additional evidence, checking on red light cameras in the area and are working with North Riverside police jointly on this investigation.”