Marco A. Bailon, the 41-year-old Franklin Park man accused of broadsiding a motorcycle while making a U-turn on Cermak Road near Desplaines Avenue in North Riverside in August pleaded guilty on Oct. 19 to leaving the scene of a personal injury accident and is in Stateville Correctional Center in Joliet serving a three-year prison sentence.

Bailon also pleaded guilty to drunk driving and received an additional sentence of 12 months conditional discharge from Judge Tomas Tucker, who heard the case at the Maybrook courthouse.

Police reported that Bailon’s blood-alcohol level was more than twice the legal limit when he decided he was lost while trying to drive home from his mother’s house on Chicago’s Southwest Side on the evening of Aug. 15.

While westbound on Cermak Road, Bailon made a U-turn at Forest Avenue into a group of eastbound motorcycles. One motorcyclist was able to swerve out of the way, but Bailon’s gray 2001 Chevy Monte Carlo struck a motorcycle driven by a 28-year-old Chicago man, throwing him onto the parkway.

The victim suffered serious injuries to his back and abdomen and was hospitalized for nearly a week.

Bailon fled the scene of the crash on Forest Avenue, where he left his damaged car on a driveway apron. North Riverside police found him hiding under a box truck that was parked in an alley about 200 feet away.

Inside Bailon’s car police found an empty pint bottle of rum and a water bottle containing an alcoholic beverage. At the time he was charged with two felonies, one for driving under the influence and one for leaving the scene. He was also charged with misdemeanor DUI and several traffic offenses.

Sixth DUI for Chicago man

Riverside police charged Chicago resident Mieczyslaw B. Galka, 57, with DUI – his sixth such arrest – on Nov.1 after Lyons police sent out a message at about 9 p.m. warning of a reckless driver heading northbound on First Avenue from Ogden Avenue.

A Riverside police officer located Galka just north of Forest Avenue and pulled him over. Galka reportedly appeared extremely intoxicated and failed field sobriety tests. Police also reported finding an open bottle of vodka in Galka’s vehicle. He refused to submit to breath, blood and urine tests for blood-alcohol levels.

Police charged Galka with felony DUI and driving on a revoked license and cited him for several traffic offenses.

According to Riverside police, Galka had five previous arrests for DUI, three for which he received court supervision. In November 2008, he was convicted of DUI and sentenced to two years in prison. Galka was released from Vienna Correctional Center on Oct. 28, 2010.

At a hearing at the Maybrook courthouse last week, a judge set Galka’s bond at $150,000 and Galka remains in Cook County Jail awaiting his next court date, which has not been set.