Two teens robbed at gunpoint in Brookfield

Brookfield police, aided by a helicopter from the Chicago Police Department, combed the forest preserve area along Salt Creek north of the village for about two hours during the early morning hours of Oct. 28, looking for two armed-robbery suspects.

The search proved fruitless, but Brookfield police continue to investigate the incident, which reportedly occurred just after 1 a.m. on that date near the intersection of Garfield and Park avenues.

According to police, two teenage boys – an 18-year-old from Brookfield and a 17-year-old from Chicago – were walking southbound on Park Avenue, when they were approached by two other males described as being in their late teens. One was wearing a skeleton mask.

One of the offenders reportedly pointed what appeared to be a black revolver at the 18-year-old and told both of the victims to get on the ground. The offenders took the teens’ backpacks and went through their pockets, taking a cellphone, before fleeing northbound on Park Avenue.

They were last seen headed toward the forest preserve area. The victims ran south to Broadway Avenue, where they called police.

Police reported finding the backpacks and some of the items that were inside of them farther north on Park Avenue. Officers set up a perimeter around the forest preserves and searched the woods.

While they did not find the suspects, police did come across a 53-year-old homeless man who was reportedly living in the woods. He was charged with criminal trespass by the Forest Preserve District police.

Police called off their search sometime after 3 a.m.

Brookfield convenience store robbed

Three men, one of them brandishing a kitchen knife, robbed a Brookfield convenience store on Oct. 23.

The men, all of whom wore hooded sweatshirts, walked into Brook Food and Liquor, 9016 47th St. just after 8:30 p.m. According to police, the man armed with the knife jumped over the counter and took an undetermined number of cigarette packs and cash.

All three then left the store and fled on foot northeast toward Plainfield Road through the parking lot of the strip mall where the business is located.

No employees were injured during the robbery. Police are investigating whether the robbery might be connected to a similar incident last week at the 7-Eleven store at First Avenue and Plainfield Road in Lyons.

Brookfield police called in the Illinois State Police to assist in processing the crime scene.

Election sign shenanigans

How can you tell there’s an election around the corner? Someone’s been making mischief with election signs, particularly ones touting Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney, in the front yards of Riverside homes.

On Oct. 25, Riverside police received nine calls from residents on the north end of the village, most complaining that their Romney signs had been taken and replaced with Barack Obama signs.

The sign-changers hit homes in the 300 block of Bartram, 300 block of Herrick, 300 block of Eastgrove, 400 block of Kent, the 100 and 200 blocks of North Delaplaine, the 200 block of Longcommon and one block that was not specified. In addition, political signs were reportedly taken from the front lawns of two homes on Uvedale Road.

Can’t outrun warrants

Riverside police arrested a 38-year-old Lyons man and charged him with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest after he reportedly made a suggestive comment to a 17-year-old girl who was pumping gas at Minuteman, 3346 Harlem Ave. about 8 p.m. on Oct. 22.

The man was sitting in the back seat of a taxi when he made his comment to the girl, who reportedly was frightened and ran into the gas station mini-mart to get away. The incident was reported to police, who were able to track the taxi’s customer to his home in Lyons.

Police reportedly saw the man through the window of his home, but he refused to speak to officers, who were let into the residence by a family member. The man tried to barricade himself inside a room and then hid behind a water heater and refused to come out.

Eventually, police used a stun gun to subdue him and arrest him. There were also four outstanding warrants for the man’s arrest. The man told police he knew he had warrants and didn’t want to go to jail. He also reportedly told police he had never been hit with a Taser before and that the experience “was crazy.”

These items were obtained from police reports filed by the Riverside, North Riverside and Brookfield police departments, Oct. 22-28, and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Unless otherwise indicated, anybody named in these reports has only been charged with a crime. These cases have not been adjudicated.

-Compiled by Bob Uphues