Serving as District 96 president these past six months has been a challenging test of my strength.
Thank you to those who have encouraged me to stay focused. The balance between transparency, accountability and legal requirements can be difficult for an elected official. My respect continues to grow for those that choose to serve.
I have always been committed to making a difference in our community. In that commitment, I have:
- Served on the D96 School Board since 2009, including as President since 2011.
- Served as Central School PTO President, 1st VP and Parliamentarian.
- Volunteered with People Care, driving elderly citizens to their appointments since 2007.
- Organized Diane and Melissa Foundation fundraisers to provide music scholarships to Riverside-Brookfield High School students.
- Coached many Riverside sports for Riverside Parks and Rec.
- Solid, respectful relationships are key to success, and I have worked hard to build my relationships with fellow board members, community stakeholders, PTA/O leaders, teacher’s union representatives, administrators and many teaching staff.
- The district knowledge and board experience I have gained over the last four years will be particularly valuable as D96 transitions a new superintendent. This experience will be vital as we continue to oversee:
- Important curricular reviews in Quest/Gifted, Special Education and World Language.
- Completion of the district’s largest capital improvement project in 50 years.
- Increased community involvement and communication through parent and staff collaborative efforts.
- Pressing financial implications that come with enrollment growth, changing demographics and pension reform.
- Implementing Common Core standards and new teacher evaluation legislation.
It has been an honor and privilege to serve this district. It takes a dedicated and experienced school board to make a school district great. I ask for your vote on April 9 along with supporting Jennifer Leimberer and Lisa Gaynor. Vote 1, 2, 3 for experience and proven dedication.