Former North Riverside Police Chief Anthony Garvey.

Funeral arrangements for former North Riverside Police Chief Anthony Garvey have been set.

Visitation will be Friday, June 14 from 3 to 8 p.m. and on Saturday, June 15 from 9 to 9:30 a.m. at Hitzeman Funeral Home, 9447 31st St. in Brookfield.

A funeral Mass will be celebrated on Saturday, June 15 at 10 a.m. at St. Louise de Marillac Church, 1144 Harrison Ave. in LaGrange Park, followed by interment at Queen of Heaven Cemetery in Hillside.

Memorial donations are appreciated to the family for the education of his children, Kevin M. Garvey and Karen H. Garvey.

Former North Riverside Police Chief Anthony Garvey was found dead inside his garage, Tuesday morning, apparently of a self-inflicted gunshot wound, Brookfield Police Chief Steven Stelter has confirmed.

Garvey, 48, reportedly was dressed in his police uniform and had gone into the garage as if he were leaving for work. Police received a 911 call at 7:40 a.m. and reported finding Garvey on the floor of the garage with a weapon nearby.

As of noon Tuesday, according to Stelter, police had not found a suicide note.

A police officer in North Riverside for 24 years, Garvey was named North Riverside’s chief of police in 2005 and served in that role for eight years. Hubert Hermanek Jr., who was elected mayor in April, replaced him in favor of Lane Niemann in May. He stayed on the force at the rank of commander.

Hermanek and Garvey had known each other for many years. Both were police officers on the force at the Brookfield Zoo before Garvey joined North Riverside and Hermanek pursued a career as an attorney. On Tuesday afternoon, Hermanek released a statement expressing his grief.

“Not only is North Riverside losing a valuable member of the community, but I am personally mourning the loss of a longtime friend of over 30 years,’ Hermanek stated. “My deepest sympathy and prayers are extended to his family at this difficult time.”

The West Suburban Chiefs of Police Association, of which Garvey was scheduled to become president in September, also released a statement, which was posted on its Facebook page.

“We have lost a dear friend and a valued colleague,” the statement read. “Tony took his own life this morning and our grief and confusion at this time are little compared to what his family must be feeling. Our hearts and prayers go out to them.” 

Garvey was also very involved at Riverside-Brookfield High School, where he was president of the RBHS Booster Club. He was the brother of Michael Garvey, former Brookfield village president and current trustee.

Stelter said Garvey’s body will be taken to the Cook County Medical Examiner for an autopsy. He stated that Brookfield police do not consider the incident suspicious.

9 replies on “Former North Riverside police chief found dead”