Birthday celebrant pulls a no-no

A 51-year-old Lyons man capped off his birthday celebration on April 30 by walking into the Riverside police station and getting himself arrested.

Police charged Vance Nono with domestic battery, battery to a police officer, resisting arrest and driving under the influence of alcohol after he walked into the Riverside police station around 7:55 p.m. and reportedly got into a fight with his girlfriend in the lobby of the building.

The altercation capped off a day of drinking, according to police, in honor of Nono’s 51st birthday.

According to police, Nono walked into the police station to lodge a complaint against his girlfriend just as Riverside police broadcast a message to officers to be on the lookout for a blue Toyota.

A Riverside police dispatcher happened to be driving on Nuttall Road and noticed the Toyota following her. The reason she noticed, according to police, was that the car was weaving in and out of traffic and the driver was allegedly striking the female passenger in the face and chest.

The Toyota ended up in the police department parking lot and the driver, Nono, walked into the station to lodge a complaint against his passenger, a 46-year-old Morton Grove woman. Police said Nono appeared highly intoxicated and that the woman obviously had been battered.

Nono, said police, began drinking champagne and rum at home before heading to a Forest Park restaurant where he drank more rum. After dinner, he headed to a North Riverside bar for more drinks, police said.

He was on his way home to Lyons, when he ended up driving behind the police dispatcher. Police said Nono was combative with officers at the police station. According to police, Nono has been arrested numerous times in the past for battery, theft and fighting with police. 

Facebook to the rescue

Brookfield police cited a 22-year-old resident of the village for leaving the scene of an accident after his 1996 Buick LeSabre allegedly sideswiped a 2010 Chevy Silverado that was parked in the 3600 block of Madison Avenue during the overnight hours of April 28-29.

The owner of the truck called police about 6:40 a.m. when he went out and saw that a crumpled silver car door was wedged between the SUV’s driver’s side door and running board. Police put out a bulletin for officers to be on the lookout for a vehicle without a door.

The SUV owner’s wife took the extra step of posting a photo and a message on the Brookfield Connections Facebook page that morning. Within an hour, someone posted a message saying a car missing a door was spotted near the intersection of Gerritsen and Elm avenues. She contacted police, who located the vehicle and its owner, who told officers he didn’t recall striking anything the night before, but admitted he had been “very tired” and might have fallen asleep at the wheel.

Wrong turn

A 26-year-old Chicago woman faces drunken driving charges after she allegedly drove her 1996 Chevy Cavalier onto the Burlington Northern-Santa Fe Railroad tracks at Harlem Avenue, forcing the railroad to stop all train traffic until the car could be cleared from the tracks.

A Riverside police officer reported that he was driving southbound on Harlem Avenue at the tracks when he saw the Cavalier with its left-turn signal on heading northbound approaching the grade crossing.

In his rearview mirror, the officer noticed the vehicle make a sharp left turn onto the tracks and head west, striking the rails and loose ties along the right of way. The officer was able to stop the vehicle and reported that the driver appeared intoxicated. A breath test later reportedly revealed the woman’s blood-alcohol level to be .209, which is more than twice the legal limit of .08.

The woman reportedly told the officer that she made the turn to get money from an ATM machine. There is a bank on the north side of the tracks.

Unplug the jukebox, will you?

The Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office on Monday charged Helver Morales, 25, of Cicero, with felony aggravated battery for allegedly breaking a beer bottle across the face of a 26-year-old Chicago man at Bar-Tini Lounge, 2433 Desplaines Ave. in North Riverside around 1:20 a.m. on May 5.

According to police, Morales chose some music on the juke box. The victim got up and walked to the bathroom, reportedly unplugging the juke box along the way. Morales then followed the victim into the bathroom and allegedly struck him with the bottle, which caused a large cut above the victim’s left eye. 

It wasn’t the cat

A resident of the 2300 block of Hainsworth Avenue, North Riverside, called police on May 3 to report that two German shepherd dogs from next door managed to get into a birdcage that was left on the back porch of her house. One parakeet was missing — there were feathers all over the yard — while another was standing, injured, on the ground near the fence.

A police officer who responded to the scene left a note for the dogs’ owner to contact them.

Federal agent tackles suspected thief

A 20-year-old Cicero man faces two counts of misdemeanor theft after he allegedly stole several UPS packages off of a front porch in the 200 block of Northwood Road, Riverside, at about 4:45 p.m. on April 29.

A homeowner called police after she observed someone take packages from the porch and then run northbound. However, the offender didn’t know that an off-duty federal agent also witnessed the alleged theft and ran down the suspect, holding him until police arrived.

The alleged offender reportedly told police he was riding his bike around the village looking for anything to steal. Police also reported recovering several stolen items, including prescription drugs.

At the time of his arrest, the suspect was out on bond for an unrelated retail theft reportedly committed in Berwyn on April 26. The man has eight prior arrests and convictions for theft and battery, police said.

The federal agent who subdued the man, according to police, is a Riverside resident who works as an investigator in the Office of the Inspector General for the U.S. Department of Education. 

$50,000 in jewelry taken from car

A 55-year-old jewelry wholesaler from Naperville contacted North Riverside police on April 29 at about 4:10 p.m. to report that someone had smashed out the window of his 2009 Toyota Rav 4 and removed three jewelry display containers that held about 1,000 pieces of jewelry worth approximately $50,000.

The victim told police he had just made a sale at a retail business inside the North Riverside Park Mall and then stopped in at the Chase Bank branch at 1730 Harlem Ave. to make a deposit.

When he returned to his vehicle after making his deposit at the bank, the rear driver’s side window had been smashed and the jewelry containers removed. Security cameras showed the victim enter the bank. A short time later, a silver SUV pulled up to the victim’s vehicle. Two subjects exited the vehicle and burglarized it before fleeing eastbound toward Harlem Avenue.

  • North Riverside police reported on May 3 that a 25-year-old Forest Park woman parked her 2007 Mitsubishi in the south lot at Chili’s, 7225 Cermak Road, at 7:30 p.m. When she returned to the unlocked vehicle at 9:15 p.m., she discovered that a pair of Dolce & Gabbana sunglasses, a Galaxy tablet and some prescription flu medication were missing from the glove box.

  • A couple who lives of the 3200 block of Elm Avenue, Brookfield, reported on May 3 at 8:40 a.m. that, during the overnight hours, someone had entered their 2009 unlocked Jeep and stole a blue and black Under Armor baseball bag containing two bats, four baseball gloves, a black helmet and an athletic supporter and a purple and gray North Face backpack containing college books, notebooks and a calculator.

Go away

Brookfield police on May 3 warned a 65-year-old Western Springs man that if he didn’t stay away from a condominium complex in the 3600 block of Forest Avenue, he’d be charged with trespassing.

According to police, last week’s incident was at least the seventh time in the past four years that residents of the complex had complained about the man bothering people there.

At about 7:50 p.m. on May 3, the owner of a unit in the complex called police after the man rang the bell and banged on the door of her condo unit on two occasions. The condo owner told police it was the same man she shooed away from her door on April 13.

Police reported that the man appeared to be intoxicated and said he just wanted to say “hi” to the condo owners. The officer told the man that the condo owners didn’t know him or want him around, and that he’d have to leave immediately. Police called a taxi to take the man back to his home.

Road rage

A 28-year-old Oak Park man got a scare on May 2 at about 7:35 a.m. as he was driving southbound on Desplaines Avenue near 26th Street. After changing lanes, the driver immediately noticed a silver vehicle behind him, with the driver flashing the lights and honking the horn.

The silver vehicle quickly sped up, changed lanes and passed the victim’s vehicle, before stopping in front of the victim and putting the car in park. The male offender got out of the silver vehicle and demanded the victim get out of his vehicle and fight. The offender then reportedly grabbed the victim’s shirt through the open car window and threated him harm.

The victim said he was calling police and the offender ran back to his car and sped away southbound on Desplaines Avenue.

Stolen vehicle

North Riverside police responded to the North Riverside Park Mall, 7501 Cermak Road, on May 2 after a 28-year-old Cicero man notified them that someone had taken his blue 2001 Jeep Cherokee from the Sears north parking lot.

The victim told police he parked his Cherokee at about 7 p.m. When he returned at about 7:30 p.m., the vehicle was gone. 

Lock your bikes, folks

  • A 23-year-old Chicago woman contacted North Riverside police after her bike was stolen from outside CVS, 7200 Cermak Road on April 28 at about 1:20 p.m. The woman said she left her bike outside for a few minutes while she went in the store. When she came out, the bike was gone.

  • A juvenile left his bike unlocked outside of Riverside Foods, 48 E. Burlington St. in Riverside, for about 10 or 15 minutes on April 29. When he exited the store, the red and silver Schwinn mountain bike was gone. 

These items were obtained from police reports filed by the Riverside, North Riverside and Brookfield police departments, April 28-May 5, and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Unless otherwise indicated, anybody named in these reports has only been charged with a crime. These cases have not been adjudicated.

Compiled by Bob Uphues