Man who stabbed brother tossed from truck

A Chicago man who was thrown out of a moving truck on Harlem Avenue in Riverside last week faces one charge of felony aggravated domestic battery for allegedly stabbing his brother in the leg with a box cutter — after the brother reportedly teased him about sleeping with his girlfriend.

Riverside police responded to the intersection of Harlem Avenue and Addison Road on July 27 at about 3:50 p.m. after receiving a call that someone had been thrown from a truck.

They found Larry Brown, 53, with blood on his shirt and hands and holding a napkin to his head. He reportedly told police that his 55-year-old brother had kicked him out of the white box truck, which was headed for a storage facility.

After sending out a description of the truck and its occupants, police noticed a white box truck traveling northbound, which Brown identified as the one from which he’d been tossed.

An officer talked to the driver, a 52-year-old Romeoville man, who directed the officer to the rear compartment of the truck. Sitting in a chair, with his bleeding leg swaddled in plastic wrap and a shirt, was Brown’s brother.

According to the police report, all three men indicated that Brown had stabbed his brother with a box cutter after his elder brother remarked that Brown’s girlfriend had been over at his house the previous night.

The driver of the truck reportedly told police that the two brothers had been “having relations” with the same woman for years.

Brown, upset at his brother, reportedly pulled a box cutter from his pocket and stabbed his brother in the right leg twice before his brother opened the door and kicked him through the opening.

Paramedics transported Brown’s brother to MacNeal Hospital where it took a total of 11 staples to close the wounds.

Aggravated battery

A 41-year-old Brookfield man faces a felony charge for aggravated battery to a police officer, in addition to three counts of aggravated assault, two counts of domestic battery and possession of cannabis with intent to deliver after he reportedly went berserk while police arrested him at his home on July 22 at 3:15 a.m.

An officer on patrol initially observed a white pickup truck with its lights on idling in front of a fire hydrant in the 4300 block of DuBois Boulevard. After learning the truck was registered to an address on the block, the officer went to the door to find its owner.

There he was met by a 35-year-old woman who showed the officer in the home. There the officer reported finding Phillip M. Davis sitting at the kitchen table packing cannabis into a pipe. There were several bags of cannabis in front of him, police said.

After also learning that Davis had punched the woman and an 18-year-old male inside the house earlier, the officer attempted to arrest Davis, who reportedly became combative. While pushing him into a squad car, Davis reportedly kicked an officer in the face twice. Another officer reported injuring his arm in the scuffle.

Davis reportedly continued to verbally threaten officers after being detained and allegedly tried to destroy items in the holding cell at the Brookfield police station before reportedly trying to hang himself with his underwear.

Davis was taken to MacNeal Hospital for observation, during which police posted a guard by Davis’ side.

According to police, Davis admitted mixing alcohol and prescription drugs prior to the incident at his home and said he didn’t recall much of what had happened.

Davis remains in Cook County Jail with bond set at $35,000, awaiting a July 30 court date. 

Looking for a girlfriend

Riverside police charged a 34-year-old Lyons man with two counts of disorderly conduct and minor drug offenses after he spooked two parents as he wandered through Riverside, according to police, “looking for a girlfriend.”

A man called police at about 7:15 p.m. on July 26 after he saw a man staring at his 17-year-old daughter as she sat in the front yard of her home in the area of South Cowley Road and East Quincy Street. The father confronted the man, who mumbled something before continuing north on Cowley.

While looking for the man, police received another call from a woman who stated a man had walked up to her 6-year-old daughter who was seated in the car. His behavior prompted the woman to call 911.

At Cowley and Addison, police located the man, who ran from the area and was tackled by police.

Once in custody, the man reportedly told police that he was walking from Lyons to Riverside in search of a “nice girl.” Eventually, the man said he intended to make his way to Oak Park, said police, because that village has “different types of girls there.”

Police reported recovering a small amount of cannabis, a cannabis grinder and a half empty bottle of scotch from the man. 

Charged with bike theft

After a string of bike thefts in Riverside in the past month, Riverside police arrested two people last week suspected of stealing or planning to steal bikes.

On July 21, police arrested an 18-year-old Cicero man and charged him with trespassing after he was observed riding his bike in and out of driveways in the 100 block of Bloomingbank Road at about 3 p.m.

And on July 22, Riverside police charged a 19-year-old Brookfield man with theft for allegedly stealing a bicycle from the rack outside Riverside-Brookfield High School at about 11:35 that morning.

School and police officials were able to identify a suspect by looking at footage from a surveillance camera in front of the school. The suspect had been sent home from a summer school class for a discipline-related problem and stole the bike to ride home, police said.

  • Brookfield police reported last week that a pro-style racing bicycle valued at $7,500 was stolen from the garage of a home in the 9500 block of Henrietta Avenue during the overnight hours of July 25-26.

Police observed that someone forced the locked service door open, damaging the door frame in the process. The bike had been secured to a rack on the back of a vehicle in the garage by straps, which had been cut.

  • A resident of the 9000 block of Sherman Avenue, Brookfield, contacted police at about 8 a.m. on July 28 to report that her Schwinn bike valued at $500 had been stolen from outside her garage.

  • A resident of the 100 block of Northgate Road, Riverside, called police on July 27 at about 10:15 p.m. to report that his child’s white Schwinn bicycle had been taken from the driveway of his home.


Drag racing

Riverside police charged a 22-year-old Chicago man with reckless driving and speeding after a police officer reported observing two vehicles racing each other at 82 mph while eastbound on Ogden Avenue approaching Harlem Avenue at about 2 a.m. on July 27.

The officer was able to locate one of the vehicles, a white 1997 Ford Thunderbird, at Wisconsin Avenue and Ogden Avenue in Berwyn, where he arrested the driver, whose driver’s license was also determined to be suspended.


  • An employee of a property management company called Brookfield police on July 23 after he noticed that an air-conditioning condenser unit, which had been located in the rear yard of a vacant home in the 3800 block of Raymond Avenue, was missing.

  • The owner of a chiropractic office in the 9100 block of Ogden Avenue, Brookfield, called police on July 25 at about 8:30 p.m. to report that someone had stolen a check from the premises and attempted to cash it for $400 in Westchester.

At about 11 a.m., a young man walked into the office and asked to use the bathroom. Someone in the waiting room pointed out the direction of the bathroom and the young man left a short time later.

At 1 p.m., the owner of the business received a call from his wife, asking if he was attempting to cash a $400 check in Westchester. The man’s bank had called his home to report the action. The check was canceled and the man’s bank account information changed.

  • A resident of the 3200 block of Harrison Avenue, Brookfield, called police on July 22 at about 7:20 a.m. to report that sometime during the overnight hours someone had taken two purple lawn chairs from the front lawn.

  • A 69-year-old resident of the 3600 block of Forest Avenue, Brookfield, called police at about 8:15 a.m. on July 25 to report that her Chicago Sun-Times newspaper, which she had observed on the parkway in front of her house earlier that morning, was gone.

Garden center burglarized

An employee of Clover’s Garden center, 7401 25th St. in North Riverside, contacted police on July 26 at about 9:25 a.m. after noticing that a bag filled with cash and loose change was missing from the front counter area of the business, which is located in the parking lot of a shopping center.

There were no signs of forced entry to the garden center, which is surrounded by a chain-link fence. 

Cyclist injured in crash

A 13-year-old Riverside boy suffered minor injuries after he was struck by a car while riding his bike on East Quincy Street from Riverside Road on July 28 at about 1:15 p.m.

According to police, the boy was trying to catch up with friends who had already cleared the intersection when he was struck by a 2000 Honda driven by a 44-year-old Riverside man.

The driver of the vehicle was ticketed for improper turn, failure to yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk and failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident.

The boy was treated at the scene by paramedics and was not hospitalized.

Flew the coop

A 52-year-old woman went to the Brookfield police station on July 23 at about 10:10 p.m. to drop off a chicken she said had been wandering around her property in the 8900 block of Southview Avenue for the past few days.

Earlier in the day in response to the woman’s complaint, police had provided her with an animal carrier to trap the bird.

Police transported the chicken to the Animal Welfare League in Chicago Ridge the following day. 

Bloody knife found

A 44-year-old Riverside Lawn man went to Riverside police after he reportedly found a silver pocket knife with a three-inch blade that appeared to be covered with blood and another unknown substance stuck in a log in the forest preserve area across the Des Plaines River from the Riverside Public Library.

The man had placed the knife in a plastic bag and handed it over to police, who turned the knife over to Cook County Forest Preserve District Police. 

Bullet found on patio

North Riverside police responded to the 2500 block of 8th Avenue on July 22, two days after an 83-year-old resident of the block reported hearing several “pops” that sounded like gunfire.

On July 22, the resident was walking around his property when he noticed some holes next to his side and front windows. In addition, he found what appeared to be a fired bullet on his patio.

Police determined that the holes in the house had been drilled for awnings that had since been removed. However, they did confirm the bullet appeared to be from a rifle and showed signs of impacting on a flat surface as it had struck the ground after falling out of the sky.

Plus, a crappy tip!

North Riverside police responded to Famous Dave’s, 7201 25th St., on July 24 at 12:25 p.m. after the manager determined that a $100 bill used to pay a check was counterfeit.

The waitress told police that the counterfeit note was left as payment by a group of three women for a food bill totaling $98. The waitress provided the table with the check and left to attend to other tables.

When she returned, the women were gone and the counterfeit bill was left as payment. The bill was sent to the U.S. Secret Service.

These items were obtained from police reports filed by the Riverside, North Riverside and Brookfield police departments, July 20-28, and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Unless otherwise indicated, anybody named in these reports has only been charged with a crime. These cases have not been adjudicated.

Compiled by Bob Uphues