Illegal U-turn leads to 1st Ave. crash

A car making a U-turn to avoid traffic on First Avenue in Riverside ended up careening into the forest preserve area east of First Avenue just south of Waubansee Road after it was struck by another vehicle on Oct. 23 at about 8:30 a.m.

A 21-year-old Homer Glen man told police he was driving a 2002 Buick northbound on a curving section of First Avenue approaching Waubansee Road when he struck a silver 2010 Toyota that made a U-turn in front of him.

The impact drove the Toyota into the woods on the east side of the street. The 67-year-old LaGrange Park man driving the Toyota reportedly told police he was stuck in traffic on his way to work and made the U-turn to avoid the backup.

He was taken by paramedics to Loyola University Medical Center in Maywood for treatment of undisclosed injuries. He was also ticketed for improper U-turn, improper lane usage, failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident and for having no proof of insurance.

The driver of the Buick was not injured.

  • A 52-year-Brookfield man was taken to Loyola University Medical Center in Maywood for treatment of minor injuries and observation after he apparently blacked out while driving a 1995 Volvo into the fence along the west border of Brookfield Zoo near the intersection of Garfield and Prairie avenues on Oct. 24 at about 9:55 p.m.

According to police, the man stated he was southbound in the 3100 block of Prairie Avenue when lost consciousness. The car drifted left and crashed into the fence on the east side of the street. The driver told police he didn’t remember what had happened. Neither drugs nor alcohol was a factor in the crash, said police. Rather, it may have been related to a medical condition.

The driver wasn’t ticketed. No village property was damaged, although the fence did sustain damage.


Police were dispatched to a home in the 3500 block of Woodside Avenue, Brookfield, on Oct. 21 at 2:40 p.m. after the homeowner called to say it had been burglarized.

According to the police report, the break-in occurred between 4:30 a.m. and 2:15 p.m. The homeowner reported that two glass containers that held loose change were on the floor of an upstairs bedroom and that another container that held quarters was empty.

Entry to the home was gained through a first-floor window where two lawn chairs had been stacked. The window was shattered and glass covered the carpet. The offender apparently exited through a basement door, which was found open.

  • A 51-year-old Forest Park man contacted North Riverside police on Oct. 21 to report that the previous night his car had been broken into. The vehicle was parked in the lot at Big Corner Tavern, 8405 Cermak Road, on Oct. 20.

When he returned to his vehicle, he observed that the center panel around the gear shifter had been damaged. The vehicle had been left unlocked, according to the police report.

Caught in the act

An employee of the Shell gas station, 3100 Maple Ave. in Brookfield thwarted an attempt to steal boxes of cigarette cartons from his vehicle, which was parked in the lot of the business on Oct. 22 at about 3:20 p.m.

The employee carried one box of cigarettes from his unlocked car into the business. After placing the box on the counter, he turned around to get another from his car when he observed someone standing in the door way of the business, blocking his view of the car.

But at one point the unknown person in the doorway bent down, allowing the employee to see another man open the door of his car and remove a box of cigarettes.

The employee ran toward the car, causing the man with the cigarettes drop the box and run away westbound on 31st Street. The case is still under investigation, according to police.


Packing heat

An employee at Jewel/Osco, 7201 24th St. in North Riverside reportedly faces possible termination from his job after he allegedly was seen packing a semiautomatic pistol along with 11 clips of ammunition under his shirt while working in the store on Oct. 25.

A store security employee contacted North Riverside police, who responded to the business at about 9 p.m.

The employee, a 34-year-old Cicero resident, reportedly told police he was armed because he had been “mugged several times” in the past. While the employee had a valid concealed-carry permit, the company’s policy is to prohibit employees from carrying firearms while working.

 Another package stolen

A resident of the 3000 block of Harlem Avenue, Riverside, called police on Oct. 20 at about 5:30 p.m. to report that a package delivered to her residence had been taken from outside her front door.

The woman said she received an email at 10:41 a.m. stating the package, a shirt from a woman’s intimate apparel store, had been delivered. When she got home at about 3:30 p.m., the package was missing.

She further informed police that this was the fifth time in the past eight months that a package delivered to her residence has gone missing after being delivered.

 Bad for business

An employee at Flur Bakery, 1 Riverside Road in Riverside, called police on Oct. 22 at about 9:50 a.m. to ask them to remove a 56-year-old LaGrange man from the store.

According to the police report, the man comes into the store “fairly regularly” but has bad hygiene and smells so bad that other customers leave the store. The employee asked police to have the subject leave and issue him a trespass warning.

After speaking with police who advised him of the situation, the man reportedly said that he would not be back.


  • A 68-year-old Cicero man called police on Oct. 23 at about 3:20 p.m. to report his bicycle had been stolen.

The victim told police he rode his bike to Jewel/Osco, 7201 24th St., at about 1:10 p.m., leaving his bike unlocked outside the west entrance. When he returned to his bike at about 3 p.m., it was gone.

Surveillance camera footage showed that at about 1:45 p.m., a man wearing a black leather jacket and a handbag took the bike and left the area.

  • North Riverside police were flagged down in the east parking lot at Kohl’s, 2200 Harlem Ave., on Oct. 25 at midnight by an 18-year-old Chicago woman who reported something stolen from her car.

The woman directed police to a 2013 GMC SUV, which had been parked in the lot since 4 p.m. When she returned to the vehicle at 11:20 p.m., she noticed that the engine sounded very rough. Police looked under the vehicle and observed that the catalytic converter had been removed.


Lyons resident Norberto F. Frausto, 35, faces felony drunken driving charges after being pulled over in North Riverside for speeding on Oct. 22 at about 1:30 a.m.

Frausto reported was driving his 2001 Dodge Intrepid 57 mph while eastbound in the 8300 block of Cermak Road. During the traffic stop, Frausto handed a police officer an Indiana driver’s license with another name. He also failed all field sobriety tests, said police.

An FBI fingerprint inquiry identified Frausto’s real name and informed police that his driver’s license had been revoked for DUI twice and that he had been arrested for driving while revoked four times.

In addition to felony DUI, Frausto was charged with felony possession of a fraudulent ID, obstructing police, driving while revoked and traffic offenses.

  • North Riverside police charged a 20-year-old North Riverside man with drunken driving after he allegedly drove his 2007 Infiniti G35 into two parked cars near the intersection of 24th Street and 5th Avenue at about 5:05 a.m. on Oct. 26.

The driver suffered minor injuries and was taken to Loyola University Medical Center in Maywood for treatment. In addition to DUI, he was also cited for traffic offenses.

 Really drunk

  • Riverside police responded to the vicinity of Ogden Avenue and Miller Road on Oct. 20 at about 12:10 a.m. after an off-duty police officer called to report a man down near the roadway.

Police located a 38-year-old Wheaton man who had fallen off his bike. According to police, the man was so intoxicated he didn’t know his middle name or phone number. He was complaining of back and shoulder pain and was transported to MacNeal Hospital by paramedics.

  • A 30-year-old Brookfield man was arrested for drunken driving on Oct. 26 at about 7:50 a.m. after he allegedly drove his silver 2007 Pontiac G6 into a 2007 Cadillac Escalade parked in the 3600 block of Maple Avenue.

The driver, whose face was covered in gray makeup, reportedly told police he had been at a party the previous night in North Riverside and that he didn’t know where he was going.

The man’s blood-alcohol level was reported to be .176, which is more than twice the legal limit of .08. In addition to DUI, he was also cited for two traffic offenses.

  • Brookfield police charged a 55-year-old Elmwood Park man with drunken driving after an officer found him passed out behind the wheel of a 2009 Chevy Cobalt in the 8800 block of Southview Avenue on Oct. 21 at about 4:20 a.m.

The officer reported knocked on the window of the car, which was running but in park, for about 15 to 20 seconds with no success. The officer then opened the unlocked car door and shook the man for another 30-45 seconds before the man, who appeared very intoxicated, woke up.

The driver reportedly failed all field sobriety tests and was unable to give a breath sample that registered with the machine at the police station.

 Fowl play

A resident of the 4400 block of Deyo Avenue walked into the Brookfield police station on Oct. 22 at about 5:20 p.m. with a rooster that she found wandering around in her backyard.

Police made plans to take the bird to the Chicago Ridge Animal Care Facility.


These items were obtained from police reports filed by the Riverside, North Riverside and Brookfield police departments, Oct. 20-26, and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Unless otherwise indicated, anybody named in these reports has only been charged with a crime. These cases have not been adjudicated.

—Compiled by Bob Uphues