Boy recovering after being struck by car

An 8-year-old Riverside boy who was seriously injured after being struck by an alleged drunken driver on Sept. 14 has been released from the hospital and is on the road to recovery, said Police Chief Thomas Weitzel.

Weitzel characterized the boy’s recovery as “miraculous.”

“He took a complete 180-degree turn around,” said Weitzel on Monday. “He responded very well to the treatment at Loyola.”

The boy had been riding his bicycle in the driveway of his Eastgrove Road home when he pedaled into the street and was struck by a vehicle driven by 66-year-old Lyons resident Cynthia Grosse, according to police.

The boy was unconscious and bleeding when emergency personnel arrived. He was taken to Loyola University Medical Center, where he was placed in a medically induced coma to reduce swelling on his brain.

At the time, Weitzel described the boy’s injury as a “severe brain injury.” But the boy was released from the hospital Saturday and was recovering at home.

Grosse, who has a Florida driver’s license, reportedly was driving back to Lyons from Oak Park, where she had visited a friend at an elder-care facility. According to police, Grosse admitted to drinking while in Oak Park. Prior to driving to Oak Park, she worked as a caretaker for an elderly patient at a LaGrange Park facility. Police say Grosse admitted to drinking alcohol while on the job there as well.

In addition, police recovered evidence inside her vehicle indicating that she continued to drink while she was driving. Police reported recovering open containers of beer inside the vehicle, including at least one plastic cup filled with beer. Grosse reportedly failed field sobriety tests at the scene.

Because the only witnesses to the crash were the boy’s two siblings, ages 11 and 6, police obtained four search warrants in order to collect physical evidence from the vehicle. The Illinois State Police Crime Lab is also doing tests to determine Grosse’s level of intoxication at the time of the incident.

The Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office charged Grosse last week with aggravated driving under the influence causing great bodily harm, a Class 4 felony. She was also cited for failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident, and illegal transportation of open alcohol.

Her bond was set at $350,000 and she remains in custody at Cook County Jail, awaiting an Oct. 13 court date.

According to police, Grosse was charged with DUI in Cook County in 1986.


Concrete guys without permit

Police responded to the 9110 block of 26th Street, Brookfield, after a concerned resident observed an older man in the company of two younger men doing concrete work out of a rented U-Haul pickup truck.

A police officer spoke to the older man, a 77-year-old resident of the block, and asked him what was going on. The man said the two had advised him they could do some simple concrete work for $800.

The officer told the man the men were possibly perpetrating a scam and overcharging him. Then the officer met with the two concrete finishers and learned they were working without a permit. They stopped working and said they would not charge the resident for the work already completed.


Thanks, jerk

  • A 34-year-old Brookfield man called police on Sept. 18 at about 12:15 p.m. to report that someone had just stolen a child’s wagon from the south side Ehlert Park in Brookfield.

The man said he left the blue, car-shaped wagon valued at about $80 on the parkway at Elm Avenue and Gerritsen avenues while he walked his son to the swing sets in the park.

When he checked a short time later, the wagon was gone. Police checked the area for the wagon without success.

  • A 31-year-old Brookfield woman called police on Sept. 14 to report that someone stole the driver’s side front and rear Futura Scrambler tires from her 2000 Jeep, which was parked in the rear lot of her apartment building. Both axles were sitting on rocks in place of the tires.


Purse picked

A 60-year-old Chicago woman called North Riverside on Sept. 19 at about 4:45 p.m. after someone stole the wallet out of her purse while she was shopping at Burlington Coat Factory, 2208 Harlem Ave.

The victim stated that while she was shopping she noticed a black woman with a thin build and about 40 years old, wearing a thin hooded green jacket and Capri jeans always standing near her.

At one point, she noticed her purse was open and her Steve Madden Wallet, containing cash, credit cards, driver’s license and other ID, was missing. The alleged offender was seen on surveillance camera video leaving the store and getting into a silver SUV, possible a Dodge Nitro.


Aggravated DUI

Kenneth Rasmussen, 51, of Brookfield, was charged with felony drunken driving after he allegedly drove his 2015 Hyundai Sonata into a 2011 Honda Pilot, which was parked in the 4300 block of Arthur Avenue, and then fled the scene.

Police reportedly found Rasmussen’s car abandoned about a block away from the scene of the crash and discovered him hiding in some bushes in the 4200 block of Arthur Avenue.

In addition to DUI, Rasmussen was cited for driving on a suspended license, having no vehicle insurance, leaving the scene of an accident and other offenses.


Don’t beep at me, pal

A 60-year-old FedEx driver who wanted to turn right on red at the corner of Harlem and Cermak on Sept. 19 made another motorist so angry by honking his horn that the offended motorist followed the delivery driver into local business to berate him.

The FedEx driver told police he was on westbound Harlem Avenue waiting to turn onto northbound Harlem Avenue. A dark colored SUV was in front of him but would not turn right on red, even though a sign stated it was allowed after a full stop.

The delivery driver honked his horn to no avail. When the light changed, the delivery driver went to a business in the 2100 block of Harlem Avenue to make a delivery and the SUV was right next to his truck. When he got out of his truck, an unknown man confronted him and bumped him as he made his way to the door of the business.

The man followed the driver into the business, continued to make “derogatory comments” and bumped him again as he left the business. The incident didn’t escalate and the delivery driver was advised by a supervisor to contact police to document it.


Randomly naked

North Riverside police responded to the parking lot at Tony’s Finer Foods, 7401 25th St., on Sept. 17 at about 11 p.m. after a security guard reported seeing a completely naked man sitting in a parked silver Honda.

The security guard told police said he was ending his shift and was getting ready to drive home when he saw a suspicious vehicle in the northwest corner of the lot. When he approached he saw a naked man lying in the rear seat of the vehicle.

When the security guard confronted him, the naked man reported exited the vehicle and challenged the security guard to a fight, swinging at him and pushing him several times.

The naked man then got back into his car and drive away southbound on Harlem Avenue.



  • Riverside police reported that two vehicles were broken into during the overnight hours of Sept. 13-14.

A resident of the 3000 block of Harlem Avenue told police someone entered his 2006 GMC, which was parked in the garage, and removed loose change from the vehicle. There were no signs of forced entry to the garage.

A resident of the 3100 block of Harlem Avenue reported that someone entered his unlocked 2010 Lincoln, which was parked outside the garage in the rear of the property, and removed his wallet and checkbook.

  • Riverside police responded to the 400 block of Shenstone Road on the morning of Sept. 15 after a homeowner reported that, during the overnight hours, someone broke a window of the garage and removed a green Mongoose mountain bike valued at $250.
  • A resident of the 4600 block of Grove Avenue, Brookfield, reported to police that during the overnight hours of Sept. 14-15, someone entered her unlocked 2010 Toyota, which was parked in a rear lot, and removed $160 from the center console.


Phone scam

An 81-year-old Riverside woman was scammed out of about $3,700 after receiving a phone call on Sept. 17 from someone saying her grandson had been involved in an accident and needed $1,800 for attorney’s fees. The same man called later, saying another $1,865 was needed.

The woman wired two payments to Jackson, New Jersey, before learning that her grandson was not involved in any incidents and that the call was a scam.

These items were obtained from police reports filed by the Riverside, North Riverside and Brookfield police departments, Sept. 14-20, and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Unless otherwise indicated, anybody named in these reports has only been charged with a crime. These cases have not been adjudicated.