Cops search for Brookfield home invasion suspect

Brookfield police say they’re actively looking for a 23-year-old Aurora man who allegedly broke into his pregnant 41-year-old ex-girlfriend’s residence during the early morning hours of Sept. 26 and then brutally beat her, causing her to miscarry.

The Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office on Oct. 10 ruled that the fetus’ demise had resulted from the “assault of mother.”

Meanwhile, the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office has approved one count of home invasion and one count of aggravated battery for the suspect, who had not been apprehended as of Tuesday morning.

A Cook County judge has issued an arrest warrant for the suspect.

According to Brookfield police, the two had been dating for about seven months and the victim was pregnant by the suspect.

On Sept. 25, the woman reportedly broke off the relationship after learning that her boyfriend was seeing another woman.

The woman went to bed that night and was awakened about 3 a.m. by the suspect, who was standing in her bedroom doorway, police said. The suspect started yelling at the victim and reportedly began punching her in the head, pulling her out of bed, punching her in the stomach and choking her. The suspect finally left after the victim said she’d give him money to leave. He reportedly asked for a credit card, which she gave him, according to police.

The suspect reportedly returned to the residence and got into a confrontation with the victim’s 16-year-old daughter. He later tried to apologize to the victim before leaving the residence, police said.

The victim called police about 11:25 a.m. and reportedly told officers she had locked the residence prior to going to bed and that the suspect likely entered the home through a front window.

Riverside, North Riverside burglary arrests

Riverside’s police chief expressed outrage Saturday after learning that two men charged recently with multiple vehicle burglaries in Riverside and North Riverside were back on the street after a Cook County judge set what he considered very low bonds.

On Oct. 7, Riverside police arrested Miguel Gomez, 20, and Jean Carlos Deleon, 21, both of Cicero, as they were walking in the 300 block of Herrick Road about 1:30 a.m. Both were dressed completely in black with hooded sweatshirts obscuring their faces, police said.

Officers stopped the duo in response to a recent rash of vehicle burglaries in the area.

An officer searched the two and reportedly found a computer cord with initials on it. The officer recalled a burglary the previous week in the 500 block of Uvedale Road where the victim’s initials matched those on the computer cord. Police also reported finding sunglasses taken in a separate burglary.

Further investigation revealed that the two had been burglarizing vehicles and garages in Riverside during the past two weeks, police said. Their pattern was to walk from Cicero to Riverside after 1 a.m. and look for unlocked vehicles and garages.

The two reportedly would then pawn stolen items for cash. At the time of his arrest, Deleon was wearing an electronic monitoring bracelet on his ankle for a prior offense, police said.

For the Riverside incidents, the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office approved three charges of felony burglary against Gomez and one count of felony theft against Deleon.

In addition, Gomez was charged with three other vehicle burglaries in North Riverside, which were reported on Oct. 5 in the 2300 block of Burr Oak, the 2200 block of Northgate and the 7600 block of 26th Street.

In each case, the vehicles were unlocked and items such as a Bluetooth device, phone cords, a small flashlight, a bottle of cologne and cash were taken.

Despite being charged with six counts of burglary, Gomez was released from custody on a personal recognizance bond. Deleon’s bond was set at $1,000, meaning he needed to post $100 to be released.

Chief Thomas Weitzel said he sent a letter of complaint to presiding Judge Cheyrl D. Ingram against Judge Ann Finley Collins, who presided at the bond hearing.

“I don’t feel that everyone needs to be locked up in every instance, but one individual committed six felonies and received no bond,” Weitzel said. “And the violation for electronic monitoring is $100? He’s committing felony crimes while on electronic monitoring.

“It’s deplorable.”

Bullet strikes Riverside home

A resident of the 100 block of Northgate Road, Riverside, called police on Oct. 11 at about 8 p.m. when he walked into his home after being on vacation and noticed what looked like a bullet hole in the kitchen window and a broken light fixture.

Police responding to the home reported finding what appeared to be a bullet fragment on the kitchen floor. An officer also observed a hole in a post on the back deck. Evidence technicians determined that the holes in both the deck post and the window were from a single gunshot fired from the backyard of the residence. A short time later, police recovered a spent shell casing in the yard.

Neighbors interviewed by police said they did not hear any gunshots.

Phone scams

  • Brookfield police reported that on Oct. 7 a 55-year-old Brookfield man was scammed out of $3,666 after receiving a call from a subject claiming that the victim’s credit score qualified him to $9,200 in grant money.

The victim sent three Moneygrams to the offender from a nearby Walmart to pay for “taxes” and other unspecified charges related to the grant. After wiring the money, the victim was told his grant would be delayed because he didn’t have his middle initial printed on the Moneygram form.

After speaking to friends, the victim realized he had been the victim of a scam and called police.

  • A 58-year-old Brookfield woman called police on Oct. 9 to report that she had been the victim of a telephone scam.

The victim said she had received a pop-up message on her smartphone advising she wouldn’t be able to access her phone unless she called a telephone number. The woman called and was advised by an unknown person that in order to fix the phone, the victim needed to give them “remote access,” which the victim did.

The victim also provided the unknown person her Social Security number, electronic signature and several credit card numbers, including the number of a Discover card belonging to her 90-year-old mother. The offender then charged $400 on the Discover card.

Brookfield vehicle break-ins

  • A resident of the 3200 block of Prairie Avenue, Brookfield, contacted police on the morning of Oct. 7 to report that during the overnight hours, someone entered her unlocked 2007 GMC Yukon, which was parked on the street, and removed a couple of movies and a phone charger.
  • A resident of the 8500 block of Rockefeller Avenue, Brookfield, called police on Oct. 6 at about 11:40 p.m. to report that her unlocked 2009 Nissan had been burglarized within the past five minutes.

The victim stated that her dog began barking loudly near the front windows of the residence. When she looked outside, she saw the dome light on inside the vehicle and a subject wearing a black hooded sweatshirt in the driver’s seat.

She went outside and started yelling at the subject, who exited her vehicle and entered a dark-colored SUV, which left the area eastbound.

Thought it was trash

Brookfield police responded to the 4400 block of DuBois Boulevard on Oct. 11 at 1:55 p.m. after a resident called to report two subjects trying to steal a pair of snowmobiles parked behind his home.

Before police arrived, both offenders had left the scene, and the snowmobiles were not stolen. Police observed that the snowmobiles, which appeared to be older and non-working, were sitting on the garage apron to the alley.

Police advised the complainant that in the future he may want to keep the snowmobiles in his fenced-in yard instead of on the garage apron to avoid the items being mistaken for trash.

Stove ‘exploding’

A 22-year-old woman called Brookfield’s 911 dispatch center on Oct. 9 at about 9:25 a.m., reporting that her “stove is exploding.”

Emergency personnel arrived at the scene in the 9400 block of Jackson Avenue and talked to the woman, who was a cleaning lady. The woman reported that she started cleaning the stove and one of the burners’ ignitions started to spark.

Firefighters unplugged the stove, shut off gas to the residence and contacted the owner of the residence to advise her to have the stove checked by a technician.

These items were obtained from police reports filed by the Riverside, North Riverside and Brookfield police departments, Oct. 5-11, and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Unless otherwise indicated, anybody named in these reports has only been charged with a crime. These cases have not been adjudicated.