Man charged with Riverside cigarette heist

A man charged with the theft of $5,000 in cigarettes from a delivery truck outside a Riverside gas station earlier this month is suspected of several other similar thefts in the west suburbs, Riverside’s police chief announced on Oct. 25.

Jesus A. Sanchez, 34, of Chicago was charged with one count of felony theft after he allegedly stole full boxes of cartons of cigarettes from the back of a truck that was making deliveries to a gas station in the 3300 block of Harlem Avenue on Oct. 16 at 9:20 a.m.

According to police, the truck driver had opened the rear of his truck, which was parked on East Quincy Street, and walked to the store with boxes of cigarettes. While the driver was away from the truck, said police, Sanchez jumped into the back of the truck, stole boxes of cigarettes and ran westbound on Quincy to a 2008 Kia Sorento waiting for him on Delaplaine Road.

A witness observed what was happening and yelled at Sanchez, according to police. Sanchez reportedly dropped the boxes and fled in the car over the tracks toward East Burlington Street. The witness also took a photo of the vehicle and its license plate.

Police eventually tracked Sanchez to an address in the 5100 block of South Drummond Street in Chicago, where he was arrested without incident. Police learned that Sanchez followed the truck from Milwaukee and Belmont avenues in Chicago to Riverside.

According to Weitzel, Sanchez “is also a suspect in several other west suburban communities for cigarette thefts and those cases are open and still ongoing.”

Good thing it wasn’t the real deal

A local hospital contacted Brookfield police on Oct. 20 to report that they had a 12-year-old boy in their emergency room who had a pellet from a pellet gun in his left forefinger.

Police spoke to the boy, who told then he was at a friend’s house and was looking in a drawer when he found a pellet gun. As he was examining the gun, it fired and the pellet hit him in the finger.

The boy did not have permission to play with the gun, according to police, and the boy’s friend was not aware that he had found the gun in the drawer prior to it going off.

Police spoke to the 12-year-old about the dangers of playing with firearms. The gun owner’s father told police the gun would be placed in a more secure location.

According to police, there were no firearms violations.

Handgun, jewelry taken in burglary

A handgun and about $15,000 in jewelry were among the items reported missing from a North Riverside residence reported burglarized sometime on Oct. 20.

Police were called to the home in the 2200 block of Park Avenue by a resident who said the break in occurred between 11:15 a.m. and 7:45 p.m. The offender(s) reportedly gained entry by putting a lawn chair under a window and climbing in through the window.

The bedrooms were ransacked and the offender(s) removed a jewelry box, a digital camera and a .40-caliber Springfield XD handgun, a laptop computer and two video game consoles.

  • North Riverside police responded to the west parking lot at the North Riverside Park Mall, 7501 Cermak Road, on Oct. 19 about 7:50 p.m. to investigate a burglary to a 1994 Toyota Camry.

The 42-year-old male victim said he had been shopping for about 45 minutes. When he returned to his vehicle, the passenger side door lock had been forced open and a computer bag containing a checkbook and a jacket had been stolen.

  • A 36-year-old Chicago man called police on Oct. 23 to report that his 2004 Ford Explorer, which was parked in the upper parking deck near JC Penney at the North Riverside Park Mall, 7501 Cermak Road, had been burglarized.

The man was away from his vehicle for about 45 minutes. When he returned about 6:45 p.m., he noticed the driver’s side door had been tampered with and that his Pioneer touchscreen radio, valued at $700, had been removed.

Pizza delivery driver attacked

A 74-year-old delivery man from a Berwyn pizzeria told North Riverside police on Oct. 24 that he was attacked by about nine male subjects in the foyer of an apartment building in the 8000 block of Edgewater Road at about 9:20 p.m.

The victim told police he went into the foyer to make the delivery, but the person who ordered it was apparently intoxicated and didn’t come out to get his pizza. When the man turned to leave, one of the group of males said, “We’ll take the pizza” and pushed the man from behind. The victim stumbled forward and his elbow struck a pane of glass in the exterior door, cutting his elbow.

 The report did not state that the pizza was stolen. The group fled the area after the man was pushed, according to police. The foyer was dark and the man said he could not describe the subjects in the foyer.

Not on my beat

Brookfield police reported that a 30-year-old Lyons woman was possibly soliciting customers for sex in the 8800 block of Ogden Avenue on Oct. 23 about 8:50 p.m.

The officer observed the woman walking back and forth on the block several times and that she walked up to a car stopped at a stop sign and talked to the driver for several seconds.

The officer spoke with the woman and asked if she was soliciting for prostitution. She denied it, though she reportedly told police she had been arrested for that offense in the past.

The woman reportedly agreed to a search of purse and police reported it contained condoms and lubricant. She was sent on her way.

Auto theft

A 58-year-old Brookfield man called police on the morning of Oct. 19 to report that his gray 1999 Chevy Suburban was stolen from behind his garage in the 3100 block of Raymond Avenue overnight.

The man said that a former employee of his may have taken the vehicle. In June the victim agreed to sell the SUV to the employee and the employee possessed the vehicle until July when he was arrested in Cicero.

The victim retrieved the vehicle on July 31 after it was impounded and retook possession since the employee was no longer paying him as agreed. The employee was terminated from his job on Oct. 13, according to the police report, and was told to come and retrieve personal belongings from the vehicle.

On Oct. 19 the vehicle was missing.

Domestic battery

Riverside police charged a 35-year-old Cicero man with misdemeanor domestic battery and resisting arrest after he allegedly choked his soon-to-be ex-wife during an altercation inside the woman’s home in the 400 block of Desplaines Avenue on Oct. 13 at 4 a.m.

Police also indicated that the man tried to sexually assault the victim, severely beat her and put a bed linen around her head in order to suffocate her. The man fled from the residence before police arrived, but they found him about an hour later with the assistance of a Berwyn K-9 unit hiding in some bushes in the backyard of a home in the 100 block of Northgate Road.

The man reportedly refused to surrender and was only apprehended after police released the dog, which bit the offender before he surrendered. He was taken to MacNeal Hospital for treatment of the dog bite wounds.

However, the victim reportedly refused to prosecute the offender and the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office declined to press felony charges against him.

Alleged drug house targeted

North Riverside police and officers from the West Suburban Drug and Gang Enforcement (WEDGE) task force executed a search warrant at a residence in the 1500 block of Euclid Avenue, Berwyn, on Oct. 23 and arrested Salvador Covarrubias, 26. He was charged with four felony drug counts, including possession of between 15 and 100 grams of cocaine, manufacture/delivery of between 15 and 100 grams of cocaine (a Class X felony), possession of between 30 and 500 grams of cannabis and manufacture/delivery of between 30 and 500 grams of cannabis.

In all, police reported recovering 164.4 grams of cannabis and 36.9 grams of cocaine from the residence. Police detained Covarrubias during a traffic stop near the house. Police pulled him over because they had prior knowledge that Covarrubias’ driver’s license was suspended.

In addition to the drugs, police also seized a computer, a 50-inch and 42-inch TVs, three iPads, two cellphones and $475 in cash.

Not your house

A Brookfield woman called police on Oct. 25 at about 3:50 a.m. to report that when she walked into her house and panicked when she realized there was a strange man was inside her apartment in the 3900 block of Vernon Avenue.

The woman told police she had arrived home from work and left the front door open after she went inside. She let her dog out into the backyard and stayed with the dog for about 10 minutes before going back inside. When she walked back into the apartment the man was standing inside the front door.

The subject, who appeared to be intoxicated, fled out the front door when the woman started yelling at him, and police located him in front of a residence elsewhere on the block.

Apparently, the man entered the wrong apartment by mistake, police reported. He was charged with criminal trespassing.

Hounded by the Census

A 75-year-old Brookfield woman called police on Oct. 21 in order to get rid of a woman who reportedly was a U.S. Census employee. The census employee was at the residence because the occupant refused to answer the census survey, according to police.

The census employee reportedly knocked on both the front and back doors and was yelling she was from the U.S. Census, which frightened the resident.

The employee reportedly had proper identification, but police told her not to come back again, per the resident’s request.

Only 24 cans

Brookfield police and paramedics responded to the 4000 block of Prairie Avenue for a subject lying on the ground next to a bicycle on Oct. 21 at about 9:50 p.m.

The victim, a 52-year-old LaGrange man, appeared highly intoxicated and reportedly told police had had drunk 24 cans of beer before getting on his bike to ride home. The man was transported to LaGrange Memorial Hospital due to his condition.

Decorations stolen

A resident of the 9400 block of Monroe Avenue, Brookfield, called police on Oct. 24 to report that three lighted skulls, a lighted orange pumpkin and a hanging electric skull were stolen from the front of his house during the past 24 hours.

Lighten up, Francis

Brookfield police escorted a 54-year-old Clarendon Hills man off of a Metra commuter train at the Prairie Avenue stop in Brookfield on Oct. 23 at about 10:15 a.m. after he reportedly threatened to “kill” a 2-year-old girl who was talking and giggling a few rows behind him.

The responding officer reported that the man appeared to be intoxicated and was angry because the little girl was preventing him from falling asleep.

These items were obtained from police reports filed by the Riverside, North Riverside and Brookfield police departments, Oct. 13-25, and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Unless otherwise indicated, anybody named in these reports has only been charged with a crime. These cases have not been adjudicated.