Police were called to the 300 block of Southcote Road in Riverside on Jan. 14 about 3:40 p.m. to break up a fight in the snow between a 33-year-old woman and a 19-year-old woman, both from Berwyn.

According to the police report, the 33-year-old woman was out looking for her 32-year-old husband, who told her he was at work, but was actually driving in his car with the 19-year-old, with whom the man’s wife suspected he was having an affair.

The wife pinged her husband’s cellphone at a location in Riverside and went looking for him, taking her two children along with her. She located her husband’s car near 26th Street and Westover Avenue and began arguing with him.

When her husband let the 19-year-old out of the vehicle at Uvedale and Southcote, the wife reportedly got out of her car and began fighting with the younger woman. The three all work at the same business, according to police.

The 19-year-old woman told police she did not want to press charges and the older woman was released without being charged.

And stay out

A 49-year-old North Riverside auto mechanic found himself on the receiving end of a punch in the face on Jan. 15, when the grandson of a 74-year-old Cicero man got upset over an incident involving the mechanic and his grandfather two days earlier.

The elderly man reportedly hangs out at the service station and, despite being told not to, often parks his car in front of the mechanic’s bay, blocking it. On Jan. 13, the fed-up mechanic allegedly threw a tire at the older man, bruising his hand. No charges were filed, but the victim notified police.

Two days later the victim’s 48-year-old grandson showed up at the garage, allegedly punched the mechanic and threatened him harm if he didn’t stop “messing” with his grandfather.

The mechanic didn’t press charges, but the grandfather was notified he was no longer welcome at the garage.

Missing man found in Riverside

A 23-year-old Naperville man, reported missing, was found by police, unharmed, in Riverside about 9:45 a.m. on Jan. 15.

According to the police report, the man was upset over the death of a family member, and Naperville police had tracked his cellphone to the area near Lawton and Riverside roads. Police located the man sitting in his vehicle, which was parked near the swinging bridge.

He was transported to MacNeal Hospital in Berwyn for evaluation.

In through the front door

Riverside police walked a 22-year-old Chicago man suspected of drunken driving through the front door of the police station and into the booking room after an officer stopped the man’s 2002 Chevy Trailblazer directly in front of the police station at 31 Riverside Road on Jan. 11 about 1:55 a.m.

The vehicle was initially seen stopped at the downtown train crossing, waiting for a train. When the train cleared, the vehicle didn’t move for a time and then began heading south very slowly, impeding traffic, according to police.

After stopping the vehicle, the police officer determined the driver was impaired, placed him in handcuffs and walked him into the station, which was just a few feet away.

Police also cited two passengers in the vehicle for illegal transportation of open alcohol. 

What is with the tires?

Police were dispatched to the 4200 block of Forest Avenue on Jan. 16 after a resident called to complain that eight tires had been dumped in the alley behind her garage. The tires, some of which were leaning against the garage door, were dumped in the alley sometime between 4:30 and 6:30 p.m., according to police.

Police moved the tires out of the way of the garage door and contacted public works to remove them.

In the past month or so, police have responded to several similar complaints in the same area, but police have not determined who is responsible.

Oh, honey, there’s this guy …

Brookfield police detained a 20-year-old Elmwood Park man wanted on a warrant out of Winnebago County after an anonymous witness called police at about 6:50 p.m. on Jan. 16 to report a subject sitting on the roof of a property in the 4600 block of DuBois Boulevard.

When police arrived, an officer reported seeing the subject climb through a rear window of one of the apartment units. An officer went to the rear door and knocked. The subject opened the door and told the officer that he was staying the night at a “buddy’s” house and gave the officer a name, which resembled but didn’t match the name of the man who lived in the apartment.

After finding the man had a warrant, police arrested him. They also made contact with a woman inside the apartment, who was the wife of the arrested man’s “buddy.” She said she was never notified by her husband, who was out of town, that he allowed someone to enter their apartment through a window.

Police reached the woman’s husband who essentially confirmed the Elmwood Park man’s story, but didn’t have an answer as to why he didn’t tell his wife, according to police.

Wires, explained

A Brookfield man called police on Jan. 12 at about 3:10 p.m. after he observed someone running a cable across the 9300 block of Burlington Avenue. The mysterious cable-runner then got into a blue Toyota and left the area eastbound.

Police located a vehicle matching that description in the 9100 block of Roach Avenue. The driver, a 52-year-old Bartlett man, confirmed laying down the wires, explaining he had been employed by the village of Brookfield’s engineering firm, Hancock Engineering, to lay the wires to get traffic count information, which is used to classify roadways and make them eligible for grant funding for improvements.

Wrong treat

Brookfield paramedics responded to a Brookfield residence on Jan. 17 about 5:15 p.m. after a dog, described as a boxer/pitbull mix, bit its 81-year-old owner, who had attempted to toss a cookie to it.

The bite reportedly caused a large open wound on the woman’s arm and paramedics applied a tourniquet before transporting her to LaGrange Memorial Hospital for treatment.

Trouble with alcohol

  • A 46-year-old Brookfield man, reportedly intoxicated, called 911 on Jan. 12 about 10:50 p.m. and requested that the fire department respond to his home to help him get inside.

By the time police and fire personnel arrived, the man had made it safely into his home and their assistance wasn’t needed.

  • The owner of a Brookfield liquor store called paramedics after a man who entered the store around 4:35 p.m. on Jan. 11 collapsed and couldn’t get back up. According to the police report, the subject, who reportedly admitted to having drunk several alcoholic beverages, was standing at the register when he collapsed.

An ambulance transported him to the hospital for treatment.

  • A 35-year-old Cicero man has been charged with drunken driving, aggravated battery to a police officer, aggravated assault to a police officer, criminal damage to property, possession of cannabis and several traffic violations after being stopped for speeding on Harlem Avenue near Ogden Avenue by Riverside police on Jan. 17 at about 1:15 a.m.

A police officer determined the driver, later identified as Carlos J. Rodriguez, was impaired and arrested him. While in the squad car heading to the police station, Rodriguez became combative, started banging his head on the cage separating him from the officer and made verbal threats.

At the police station, Rodriguez allegedly punched police officers and damaged equipment, including the lights in his holding cell and booking area.  

These items were obtained from police reports filed by the Riverside, North Riverside and Brookfield police departments, Jan. 11-17, and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Unless otherwise indicated, anybody named in these reports has only been charged with a crime. These cases have not been adjudicated.