Police charged a 41-year-old Brookfield woman with drunken-driving and child endangerment after an officer reported seeing her driving at high speed around the Memorial Circle at Eight Corners in Brookfield on June 17 at 11:25 p.m.

The officer reported that the vehicle, a 2014 Mercedes-Benz, had completed two laps around the circle before the driver noticed him, slowed down and headed south on Grand Boulevard.

As the officer pulled the vehicle over, the driver reportedly stopped and then backed the Mercedes into the front of the police patrol SUV. Three juveniles between ages of 16 and 17 were passengers in the Mercedes.

The woman reportedly told police she was having a pool party at her house and had gone out for some soda. Her blood-alcohol content reportedly was .121, which is more than the legal limit of .08.

Police also contacted the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services, which assigned a case worker to follow up. In addition to DUI and endangerment, police cited the driver for driving too fast for conditions and illegal screeching of tires.

Fleeing suspect crashes

Alberto Juanche, 24, of Berwyn, was charged with aggravated fleeing and eluding, leaving the scene of an accident, driving on a revoked license and other offenses on June 17 after allegedly trying to evade police and crashing his 2004 Nissan Maxima into a parked vehicle just after midnight.

 According to the police report, an officer observed two vehicles racing each other while crossing the BNSF Railroad tracks southbound on Harlem Avenue. The Nissan reportedly was traveling at about 50 mph and headed into Berwyn to flee police, crashing into a vehicle at the corner of 35th Street and Home Avenue.

The driver fled the scene on foot, but police traced the vehicle’s registration to Juanche, whose license was revoked due to a prior DUI arrest. Juanche also reportedly left the keys and his sandals behind in the vehicle.

Police arrested him a short time later at his home after talking to a witness who gave police description of the person seen fleeing the scene of the crash.

Felony theft

  • An 18-year-old employee of J.C. Penney at the North Riverside Park Mall, 7501 Cermak Road, who was charged with stealing more than $5,000 from his cash register, said he did so because drug dealers had threatened his family, according to police.

The employee, said police, removed money on 12 occasions between May 17 and June 7 after pressing the “no sale” command on the register to open the cash drawer. The employee told police that he would give the money to his brother to pay a drug dealer so his family wouldn’t be hurt.

Store loss prevention agents were alerted by the company’s corporate office about possible thefts, and learned the same employee was present every time a cash drawer came up short. Video surveillance cameras reportedly caught the employee’s actions on film.

  • Stacey Cox, 49, of Chicago was charged with felony theft after he allegedly walked into the Bankers Life Insurance office, which is located on the sixth floor of the building at 7222 Cermak Road, North Riverside, and grabbed a cellphone that was left charging at the front welcome desk.

Cox reportedly entered the business at about 12:50 p.m. where he was confronted by an employee who was in another room in the office but heard some rustling noises at the welcome desk.

According to the police report, Cox ran from the office but he was chased by another employee, who demanded to see what Cox took. Cox reportedly produced that employee’s cellphone.

After handing over the phone, Cox fled from the building but was apprehended by police at about 2:10 p.m. at the corner of 26th Street and Desplaines Avenue. In addition to theft, police also charged Cox with criminal trespassing.

Garage burglary

  • A resident of the 9100 block of Sheridan Avenue, Brookfield, called police on June 16 to report that several saws were missing from his detached garage. There were no signs of forced entry to the garage and the homeowner said the last time he recalled seeing the tools was on June 1.

Vehicle break-ins

  • Police responded to the 3300 block of Elm Avenue, Brookfield, on June 16 after a resident called to report that her 2005 Hyundai had been burglarized. The vehicle had been left unlocked and the break-in occurred overnight. The vehicle’s radio was missing from the dashboard.
  • North Riverside police were dispatched to the 8100 block of 30th Street on the morning of June 18 after a resident called to report that his 2011 Ford van had been burglarized.

The incident happened overnight, according to the police report, and there were no apparent signs of forced entry. Among the items taken from the van were a laptop computer, a Milwaukee cordless power tool set, a Milwaukee backpack containing hundreds of dollars in miscellaneous tools, keys and a personal data assistant.

  • A resident of the 2500 block of First Avenue, North Riverside, called police at about 5:10 a.m. on June 19 after seeing two subjects rummaging through his Dodge Ram truck, which was parked in the alley.

The subjects fled in a small vehicle. Two garage door openers were taken from the truck.

  • North Riverside police responded to the 2300 block of 2nd Avenue on the night of June 19 after a resident reported that someone had entered his work van by punching out the passenger door lock.

The victim told police he’d parked the van on the street on June 18 at 8 p.m. When he returned to the vehicle the following day, the door had been forced open and numerous tools were missing from the front compartment. The lock on the rear door was also damaged, but entry was not made to that area of the vehicle.   

Packages missing

A resident of the 7200 block of Ogden Avenue, Riverside, called police on June 18 to report that two packages delivered to her home were missing. One of the packages contained graduation photos of the victim’s son and the other contained a pair of “retro Jordan” gym shoes.

The photos were supposed to arrive on June 11 and the shoes, valued at about $210, were reportedly confirmed as delivered at about 10 a.m. on June 14.

Ump walks off

A 59-year-old River Forest man umpiring a baseball game at Ehlert Park in Brookfield reportedly walked off the field in the middle of a game after fans got “verbally aggressive towards him” over what they perceived to be a bad call.

The umpire called police at about 11:30 p.m., apparently after the game was over, but while he was still at the field. An officer arrived and talked with the umpire and a witness, who said fans were upset because the umpire walked off the field after being heckled, but that he returned a few minutes later and the game continued.

Police stood by until everyone left the field.

Secret rooftop party place

The owner of a business in the 9100 block of 47th Street, Brookfield, called police on June 13 after a worker from a roofing company doing repairs informed him that people had been holding parties up there.

The business owner told police he found empty beer bottles, condoms and other items on the roof, which was probably accessed at night by people climbing on pallets stacked next to the building.

Not exactly an emergency

Brookfield police responded to a residence in the 4600 block of Vernon Avenue on June 14 at 10:45 p.m. after receiving a 911 call from a 52-year-old man. Once at the location, police learned the man’s friend had accidentally locked his cellphone and the only way the phone could be used was to call 911.

What the man wanted was for police to call him a cab to go to a 24-hour Walmart so he could buy a new phone. Police called the man a cab but informed him that dialing 911 was supposed to be for actual emergencies.

You can’t do that

A resident of the 4000 block of Sunnyside Avenue, Brookfield, called police to report that someone had stolen firewood from his property three times in the past month. The victim contacted police after seeing what appeared to be his firewood next to an apartment building in the 9000 block of Windemere Avenue.

Police interviewed a resident of that building who said a friend had taken the wood from the yard, thinking it to be OK because the yard wasn’t fenced in. The officer explained that the wood was on private property and not there for the taking.

The wood was returned to its owner, who declined to file charges.

Brookfield bat patrol

A resident of the 3800 block of Grove Avenue, Brookfield, phoned police on June 19 to ask for assistance in removing a bat, which was flying around in an upstairs bedroom. An officer arrived on the scene and was able to catch the bat and remove it from the home without further incident.

Intoxicated subject in alley

Brookfield paramedics transported a 28-year-old Brookfield man to Loyola University Medical Center after he was found next to some garbage cans in the alley east of the 3300 block of Park Avenue passed out, lying on his back with his pants around his ankles.

The subject, who did not appear to be injured, reportedly was extremely intoxicated and was unable to tell police how he got there.

These items were obtained from police reports filed by the Riverside, North Riverside and Brookfield police departments, June 13 to 19, 2016 and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Unless otherwise indicated, anybody named in these reports has only been charged with a crime. These cases have not been adjudicated.