A man who previously admitted committing more than 35 burglaries in Riverside, and who was out on parole for those offenses, is back in jail after being arrested in Riverside for possessing a bicycle stolen in River Forest.

Earl I. Toomer, 21, of Chicago, is being held at Cook County Jail with bond set at $10,000. He had a June 28 preliminary scheduled at the Maybrook courthouse.

A Riverside police officer reported confronting Toomer about 1:10 a.m. on June 25 as he rode a bicycle from driveway to driveway near the intersection of Nuttall and Loudon roads. Toomer was dressed in dark clothing and, according to Police Chief Thomas Weitzel, “was definitely out looking to victimize Riverside residents.”

In the past several weeks, Riverside residents have reported several garage and residential burglaries. Toomer, in 2013, was charged with seven counts of burglary for offenses committed in Riverside and North Riverside. At the time of his arrest, he reportedly confessed to more than 35 burglaries from vehicles in the village.

He subsequently pleaded guilty to those charges and was sentenced to three years in prison. Toomer was paroled in September 2015.

When police checked the serial number of the bicycle Toomer was riding, they learned it had been reported stolen out of River Forest on June 23. The bike was described as a high-end Specialized Myka bike valued at more than $800. The bicycle was turned over to its owner.

Toomer, who was charged with one count of theft, was also in possession of an iPod mini, a senior citizens’ public transportation free-ride pass, and a set of keys that did not belong to him, according to police.

Riverside police sought felony charges due to Toomer’s background and the fact he was on parole. However, the Cook County State’s Attorney declined to file felony charges. The Illinois Department of Corrections also reportedly declined Riverside’s request that a parole violation be issued.

“The fact that Mr. Toomer is out of prison after his felony convictions for burglary in 2013 and returned to Riverside to continue to commit crimes is indication of a true repeat offender,” Weitzel said. “I am very disappointed that felony charges were rejected and that the Illinois Department of Corrections would not file a parole violation at this time.”


  • Riverside police reported that two homes near each other in the 200 block of Scottswood Road, Riverside, were burglarized last week. Both incidents were reported to police on June 23.

In the first incident, the homeowner stated that someone entered his garage by pushing in a side window that was taped to the window frame. Missing from the garage were a Nishiki boys bicycle, a set of Titleist golf irons, two TaylorMade fairway woods, a Callaway driver, a Ping putter, a power washer and a power drill. The burglary took place sometime after June 17, according to the police report.

In the second incident, someone entered a residential garage sometime after June 19. Entry was made by the offender using a garage door opener found in a vehicle on the property.

Several items were taken from the garage and from the vehicle.

  • A resident of the 9100 block of 26th Place, Brookfield, called police on June 21 to report that his cargo van was burglarized overnight.

According to the report, someone opened unsecured rear cargo doors and stole multiple power tools, rolls of wire and copper tubing valued at about 1,200 in total.

  • A resident of the 8600 block of Riverside Avenue in Brookfield contacted police on June 25 to report that her son’s bicycle had been stolen from the family’s garage three weeks earlier. The bike was left out in the yard near the driveway.

It was described as a dirt bike, all chrome, with GT Magnum rims and was worth about $400.

‘Arrrrmy training, sir’

Brookfield police responded to the area near 31st Street and Salt Creek after someone called 911 to report a suspicious man wearing camouflage and carrying a 5-foot-long tube.

Police stopped a subject matching that description in the 3300 block of Prairie Avenue and asked him what he was doing. The 21-year-old Brookfield resident told police that he was leaving soon for Office Candidate School with the U.S. Marine Corps and is in training, which is why he was wearing camouflage clothing, carrying a rucksack and a 20-pound metal tube.

Woman scammed of $1,220

A 33-year-old Brookfield woman last week reported being the victim of a scam after someone responded to a for-sale ad she posted on the online auction website eBay.

About five days after the victim posted an ad for a refrigerator, which she was trying to sell for $455, she received a text message from someone about the item.

The prospective buyer told the victim she would be receiving a cashier’s check that included the sale amount plus additional money for shipping expenses. A short time later, the victim received a check for $1,700 and was told to cash it and then wire the difference back to the buyer.

The victim cashed the check against her checking account and then wired the “buyer” $1,219.61 via Western Union. The victim became suspicious when she received a second check for $1,700 and instructions to wire back the $455 purchase price since the buyer was no longer interested in the refrigerator.


  • The owner of The Friendly Barber, 9108 31st St. in Brookfield, called police on June 20 to report someone had removed an 8-foot tall barber pole that stood in front of the business.

According to the police report, the owner saw the pole at 8 a.m. that day, but it was gone by noon. Police noted that the large metal base of the pole, also painted red and white, was about 100 years old.

  • A 24-year-old Riverside man called police to report that his bicycle, which had been locked next to the commuter parking machine at the Riverside Train  Station, 90 Bloomingbank Road, on June 20 was gone when he returned to claim it on June 23.

The bike was described as a woman’s tan 10-speed with a white seat, black handlebar tape and a red cup holder.

Parkway tree cut down

Brookfield police responded to the 4200 block of Raymond Avenue on June 26 after a receiving a report of a parkway tree that had been cut down overnight. About one foot of the tree’s trunk remained in the ground when police arrived, and marks on the trunk indicated that it had been cut down intentionally, according to police.

Felony DUI

Guadalupe Hernandez, 38, of Chicago, faces felony drunken-driving charges after being stopped by Brookfield police for driving erratically while eastbound on Ogden Avenue near Maple Avenue on June 25 at about 11 p.m.

A 911 caller reported that a 2003 Mazda had almost crashed into oncoming traffic, and a responding officer reported seeing the vehicle swerving between lanes. The driver, identified as Hernandez, reportedly was extremely intoxicated and was unable to complete sobriety tests.

Police also learned Hernandez’s driver’s license had been revoked for a prior drunken driving conviction and that he’d been arrested three other times for driving on a revoked license.

These items were obtained from police reports filed by the Riverside, North Riverside and Brookfield police departments, June 20-26, and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Unless otherwise indicated, anybody named in these reports has only been charged with a crime. These cases have not been adjudicated.