Chicago police announced Wednesday that that have arrested a man suspected of being involved in a murder in Brookfield.

According to a press release issued by Chicago police, Jermaine Douglas, 25, of the 7100 block of Whipple St., is charged with felony counts of unlawful use of a weapon, for being an armed habitual criminal, and aggravated fleeing and eluding police.

He reportedly is under police guard at Christ Hospital in Chicago, where he was taken after he plowed his vehicle into several others at the intersection of 87th Street and Ashland Avenue after a chase involving Chicago police and FBI agents.

Police reported seeing a vehicle fitting the description of one wanted in connection with the Brookfield homicide. Officers pulled over the vehicle, driven by Douglas, in the 1700 block of 65th Street. Douglas sped away from the scene and led police on a high-speed chase that ended when Douglas crashed into at least three other vehicles, injuring several people, including Douglas.

Chicago police reported recovering a handgun at the scene. Chicago police also reported issuing a warrant for Douglas’ arrest but did not provide any details about that warrant.

Chicago police did not reveal any details regarding the Brookfield incident, but local police since January have been actively investigating the shooting death of 33-year-old Michael Smith, who was gunned down while sitting inside his car outside his Forest Avenue home on Jan. 27.

Smith, who worked for a security company, reportedly had testified in a criminal court case earlier that day and was pulling up to the curb in front of his residence when a blue vehicle pulled up alongside.

Someone inside the blue vehicle fired several rounds at point-blank range into Smith’s car, killing him. Brookfield police reported recovering the blue vehicle two days later in Chicago.

Brookfield police were tight-lipped about Douglas’ arrest, saying only that the department does have an active homicide investigation under way.

“We don’t want to compromise the investigation that’s active and pending,” said Brookfield Deputy Police Chief Edward Petrak.