Two homes within a few blocks of each other were burglarized during the daytime hours of Feb. 16, according to Brookfield police.

The two break-ins, one in the 3600 block of Arthur Avenue and the other in the 3800 block of Harrison Avenue happened between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m., police said, and involved forcing open the rear doors to the homes.

Police were called to the 3800 block of Harrison Street at about 3:15 p.m. by a witness reporting that two unknown people were seen leaving the property at about 11 a.m. At the time, the witness didn’t observe that the rear glass door to the home had been shattered, so no call was made to police at that time.

After getting the homeowner’s permission, police searched the home and found several rooms ransacked. Among the items missing from the home were pieces of jewelry, police said.

While officers were processing that scene, police were dispatched to the 3600 block of Arthur Avenue for a similar burglary.

According to police, the rear glass door had been shattered and police observed numerous cabinets and closets appeared to have been disturbed. Jewelry was also missing from that home. Police said gift cards were also missing from one of the houses, but did not specify which one.

Attempted burglary

On the morning of Feb. 18, police responded to a residence in the 3600 block of Prairie Avenue after a resident reported that someone had attempted to break in to his apartment. 

At about 6 a.m., the resident noticed that a window screen appeared to be damaged and observed fresh pry marks on the apartment’s entry door and door frame. The resident reported hearing a noise coming from the kitchen area at about 1 a.m. and that sometime between 1 and 5 a.m. the resident heard someone walk quietly down the main stairwell of the apartment building and leave the building.

Police confirmed seeing fresh pry marks on the apartment door and said the screen appeared to have been damaged by someone’s shoes, which left an impression in the dirt on the window. 

Egging spree

Someone appears to be on an egging spree in Brookfield. Brookfield police have reported 32 such incidents in the past month – 20 of which happened overnight on Feb. 19-20.

Brookfield residents south of Burlington Northern-Santa Fe Railroad tracks woke up on Feb. 20 to find that someone had thrown eggs at their vehicles, which were parked on the street along Maple, Forest, Deyo, Madison, Raymond, Sunnyside and Ogden avenues.

Many of the vehicles had been hit with multiple eggs, according to police.

Car strikes tree in Riverside

Riverside police said alcohol may or may not have been a factor in an incident early on Feb. 19 where a blue minivan left the roadway in the 3500 block of Harlem Avenue and struck a tree, slighting injuring the driver.

Police responded to the scene at about 5:10 a.m. and found the driver out of his vehicle. The driver, a 29-year-old Chicago man, told police that a northbound vehicle entered the southbound lanes of traffic, forcing him to make a quick evasive maneuver and lose control of the van.

An officer reported a very faint odor of alcohol, but said the driver, a musician who had played with his band earlier that night, passed field sobriety tests. Police said the man admitted to being tired.

He was cited for improper lane usage, failure to reduce speed to avoid a crash, damage to village property and having no proof of insurance. 

Just getting some rays

Brookfield paramedics transported a 59-year-old Brookfield man to the hospital after he was found to be highly intoxicated while sunning himself in the unseasonably warm temperatures at Ehlert Park on Feb. 18 at about 4 p.m.

Someone called to complain of a man taking his shirt on and off and drinking something from a bag. Police responded to the scene and found the man sitting on some bleachers; he appeared to be intoxicated. The man told police he was “just sitting in the sun and getting some rays.”

The man fell over when police asked him to stand, and he had to be caught to prevent him from hitting his face on the ground, according to the police report. Due to his high level of intoxication, paramedics took the man to LaGrange Memorial Hospital.

These items were obtained from police reports filed by the Riverside, North Riverside and Brookfield police departments, Feb. 13-Feb. 20, and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Unless otherwise indicated, anybody named in these reports has only been charged with a crime. These cases have not been adjudicated.­

Compiled by Bob Uphues