Solar eclipse watch party in LaGrange
The will mark the solar eclipse with a watch party for all ages in front of the LaGrange Village Hall, 53 S. LaGrange Road, from noon to 2 p.m. on Monday, Aug. 21.
“Moon at Noon” will feature live music near the fountain, a craft area for kids, an open-air painting party (fee applies) at Bottle and Bodega and other merchant tie-ins. The LaGrange Public Library, 10 W. Cossitt Ave., will live stream the eclipse from southern Illinois and visitors can have their photos taken with the eclipse on the green screen from noon to 1 p.m. in Studio 10 West.
Visitors may pick up a pair of NASA-approved solar eyeglasses in front of the village hall while supplies last.
Movies in the Park
Enjoy watching a movie in a park setting? You have your pick of two films in two different parks on two different days this week in Riverside and Brookfield.
On Thursday, Aug. 17 you can head over to the Big Ball Park (Delaplaine and Longcommon) in Riverside for a screening of The Mighty Ducks, sponsored by state Rep. Mike Zalewski.
The movie is free to attend and the movie will start at dusk.
On Friday, Aug. 18 you can enjoy the animated film Moana at Ehlert Park, Congress Park and Elm avenues in Brookfield. The film is free to attend and begins at dusk. Snacks will be available for purchase.
Back to School Party and Supply Drive
State Rep. Michael Zalewski will host his annual Back to School Party and Supply Drive on Saturday, Aug. 19 from 10 a.m. to noon at the splash pad pavilion at Ehlert Park, Congress Park and Elm avenues in Brookfield.
Enjoy a morning of family fun and don’t forget to bring new pens, pencils, notebooks, folders and other school supplies, which will be donated to families in need.
Anyone who would like to donate before the event may drop off new school supplies in the lobby of the Riverside Police Department, 31 Riverside Road, 24 hours a day leading up to the event.
For more information call 708-442-6500 or email info@RepMikeZalewski.org.
Moravian Societies picnic
The United Moravian Societies will host their annual picnic on Sunday, Aug. 20 from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. at Kiwanis Park, Arden and Brookfield avenues in Brookfield.
The event will feature games for kids, music by DJ Speedster, Czech and Slovak food, bakery and imported beer. Bring your family, friends and lawn chair. The picnic is free to attend and all are welcome.
For more information, visit online at www.UnitedMoravianSocieties.org.
The Comboni Mission Center, 1615 E. 31st St in LaGrange Park, hosts its annual Comboni Fest on Saturday, Aug. 19.
The event kicks off at 3 p.m. with an outdoor Mass, followed by a festival featuring a pig roast, tiki bar, free kids’ activities, a basket auction and entertainment, including the Ballet Folklorico Sones Mexicanos.
Admission is free and open to the public.
• Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, hosts “Litter and Ecotourism” with Joanne Dooley on Aug. 17 at 7 p.m. in the Public Meeting Room. Learn how to visit Forest preserves and parks without causing sustainable damage.
• Brookfield Public Library, 3609 Grand Blvd., hosts an exhibition of work by artist Jason Michael West through the month of August.
The library also hosts Conversational Italian for Travelers on Aug. 16 at 7 p.m.; a Homeschooling Resource Workshop on Aug. 17 at 7 p.m.; and Library Treasures on Aug. 18 at noon. Registration required for all programs at www.brookfieldlibrary.info or 708-485-6917.
• North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., hosts an Adult Coloring Club on Aug. 22 at 6:30 p.m., pages and pencils provided, drop-in only. On Aug. 23 at 6:30 p.m. author Sherman L. Jenkins presents “Ted Strong Jr.: Harlem Globetrotter and Negro League All Star.” Free. To sign up call 708-447-0869 or visit www.northriversidelibrary.org/events.
• The Brookfield Chamber of Commerce will be collecting school supply donations to help the less fortunate start the school year with the tools they need through Aug. 18 at First National Bank of Brookfield, 9136 Washington Ave.; Edward Jones Investments, 9136 Broadway Ave.; and the Brookfield Farmers Market (Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Brookfield Village Hall, 8820 Brookfield Ave).
• The Brookfield Farmers Market continues on Aug. 19 from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the west parking lot of the village hall, 8820 Brookfield Ave. The market will be held rain or shine every Saturday morning through Oct. 14.
• The Riverside Farmers Market continues on Aug. 16 and 23 from 2:30 to 7 p.m. in Centennial Park at Longcommon Road and Forest Avenue. The market runs every Wednesday afternoon/evening through Oct. 11.
• The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo every Monday night. Doors open at 5 p.m. and games start at 7 p.m. minimum cash payout of $2,275 a night, plus pull tabs, lightning, tic-tac and raffles.