A 23-year-old Chicago woman reported that she was sexually assaulted in Cicero by two men she met at a Brookfield tavern on Oct. 1 or 2, according to Brookfield police.

Officers were called to University of Illinois Hospital on the afternoon of Oct. 5, three days after the alleged assault. The woman told police she’d been assaulted between the hours of 4 and 6 a.m. on Oct. 2 after drinking alcohol at a Brookfield bar.

The woman told police she met one of the men through an online dating app. They met at the bar earlier that night and had one drink before driving back to the man’s Cicero home and dropping off her car there. The two then reportedly returned to the bar where they met up with a second man.

After drinking more alcohol, the three went back to the Cicero home where the men allegedly forced the woman into having sex with them. She told police she waited to go to the hospital, because the men reportedly sent her phone threats, including a voicemail in which one of the men allegedly threatened to tell police she raped them.

Brookfield police turned the case over to Cicero police, who continue to investigate the matter.

Attempted break-ins

A resident of the 3700 block of Morton Avenue, Brookfield, contacted police on Oct. 4 to report that someone tried to gain entry to his garage and home at about 8:30 a.m.

The motion-activated security camera system at the home sent an alert to the man’s cellphone, which showed a man enter his yard and attempt to open the locked garage service door by turning the handle. The man is then seen trying to open the locked rear storm door of the home. The man is then seen leaving the area northbound.

A resident of an apartment building on East Avenue in Riverside contacted police on Oct. 5 to report that someone apparently had tried to pry open the door to her apartment the previous day.

The woman stated that she left her apartment at about noon on Oct. 4 and returned at 7:30 p.m. Upon her return, she noticed damage to the front door and the deadbolt lock. No entry was made to the apartment, police said.

Stolen signs found

On Sept. 30 and Oct. 1, a pair of Riverside residents living in the north central part of the village called police to report that several “No Gambling” lawn signs had been stolen from their front yards.

On the morning of Oct. 2, a resident of the 400 block of Uvedale Court, not far from where the missing signs were reported, informed police that several yard signs had been left on her property.

An officer went to the home and recovered six “No Gambling” signs and two “Drive Like Your Kids Live Here” signs, reunited five of the gambling-related signs with the people who had theirs taken.

Car in the woods

Riverside police said a 66-year-old Stickney woman who reportedly drove her 2007 Buick SUV about 100 feet into the woods in the vicinity of Ogden Avenue and Miller Road was “disoriented” but did not appear to be intoxicated.

A passing motorist flagged down a police officer, indicating where the vehicle had ended up. The officer located the vehicle and attempted to get the driver to roll down the window, but she was disoriented. The officer opened the driver’s side door, and determined the driver wasn’t injured.

Asked what happened, the woman reportedly told the officer “she was at work, waiting to go in.” Paramedics transported the woman to MacNeal Hospital for evaluation.

DUI crash

Brookfield police charged a 24-year-old Cincinnati man with driving under the influence of alcohol after he allegedly crashed his 2017 Toyota 4-Runner into a car parked in the 3100 block of Prairie Avenue on Oct. 8 at about 4:50 a.m.

Police reported finding the driver passed out at the wheel of the vehicle when they arrived. After police woke him up, they administered a portable breath test, which indicated the driver’s blood-alcohol content was .163, or more than twice the legal limit of .08.   

These items were obtained from police reports filed by the Riverside, North Riverside and Brookfield police departments, Oct. 2-Oct. 8, and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Unless otherwise indicated, anybody named in these reports has only been charged with a crime. These cases have not been adjudicated.

— Compiled by Bob Uphues