RBHS AP Art show
The Riverside Arts Center, 34 E. Quincy St., will host its annual presentation of art made by students enrolled in the Riverside-Brookfield High School AP Art class from April 21 to May 12.
The group exhibition includes about 50 paintings, sculpture, drawings and photographs that will be shown in RAC’s Freeark Gallery and FlexSpace gallery. There will be an opening reception that’s free and open to the public on Friday, April 27 from 6 to 8 p.m.
Gallery hours are Tuesday-Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m.
Neil Simon comedy at TWS
Theatre of Western Springs, 4384 Hampton Ave., stages “Jake’s Women” by Neil Simon from April 19 to April 29. The Neil Simon comic play, directed by Tripp Burton, tells the story of a man facing a marital crisis by daydreaming about the women in his life.
Tickets are $20 or $22. Visit online at www.theatrewesternsprings.com or call the box office at 708-246-3380.
Spaghetti dinner fundraiser for service project
Ascension Lutheran Church and Sts. Peter and Paul Lutheran Church, will host a spaghetti dinner and silent auction to benefit the Appalachia Service Project, which repairs homes for low-income families, on Saturday April 21 from 5 to 8 p.m. The dinner will be held at Ascension Church, 400 Nuttall Road in Riverside.
Volunteers from both churches will go to eastern Kentucky in June for a week to make homes there warmer, safer and drier.
Tickets are $12 per person in advance and $15 at the door. Tickets for kids 5-12 at $5, and free for those 4 and under. Silent auction items and beer and wine are available for purchase.
To buy tickets in advance, call the Ascension office at 708-447-2600.
Attract birds to your garden
The Frederick Law Olmsted Society presents “A Bird’s-Eye View of Riverside,” a lecture and discussion on how to attract birds to your garden on Tuesday, April 24 at 7 p.m. in the Great Room of the Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road.
Melinda Pruett-Jones, executive director of the American Ornithological Society, will talk about how specific plantings can be used to sustain migrant and resident birds.
The event is free and open to the public.
Kick out the klezmer
The Maxwell Street Klezmer Band, which has toured Europe and played Carnegie Hall, will perform a free concert on Thursday, April 19 at 7:15 p.m. in Dole Hall at Plymouth Place, 315 N. LaGrange Road in LaGrange Park.
The band’s high-energy performances delight audiences of all ages. The event is open to the public, but reservations are requested. Call 708-354-0340 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• In April, the Frederick Law Olmsted Society seeks entries from students in Riverside and surrounding communities for its annual Reflections on Riverside contests. High school students may enter the Imagery Contest ($100 first prize, $25 second prize). The Poetry Contest is open to younger students. An award of $25 will go to the winner in each grade from 1-5 and $50 to the winners in grades 6-8. Rules and entry forms available at www.olmstedsociety.org.
• Brookfield Public Library, 3609 Grand Blvd., hosts Money Smart Week with a series of classes and events for all ages to help make informed choices when managing personal finances. Classes include Money Savvy Kids for preschoolers on April 23 at 10:30 a.m.; Investing for Women on April 23 at 7 p.m.; and a Retirement Income Seminar on April 24 at 7 p.m. register online at www.brookfieldlibrary.info, by calling 708-485-6917 or visiting in person at the information desk.
• North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., hosts Messy Mornings for Munchkins (ages 2+), April 24 at 10:30 a.m.; Lapsit Storytime (babies, toddlers with adult) on April 19 at 10:30 a.m.; Crafts & Cookies (2nd grade ) on April 20 at 3:45 p.m.; and Wii Play Games and Watch Movies (grades 6-12) on April 21 from 1 to 3 p.m.
• Prospective sixth- and seventh-grade students and families can find out more about Nazareth Academy’s honors and Advanced Placement curricula at a special open house on April 19 at 7 p.m. Questions? Call Kristen Stojetz at 708-387-8505 or email email@example.com. The school is at 1209 W. Ogden Ave. in LaGrange Park.
• Sign up for an exam at a free oral, head and neck cancer screening event, which will take place April 23 at the Cardinal Bernardin Cancer Center at Loyola Medicine, 2160 S. First Ave. in Maywood. To register, call 888-584-7888. Free parking. Refreshments served.
• Riverside-Brookfield High School, 160 Ridgewood Road, continues its spring WET Class, an adult-level water exercise class every Wednesday night through May 23. No swimming involved. Email Noelle at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo every Monday night. Doors open at 5 p.m. and games start at 7 p.m. minimum cash payout of $2,275 a night, plus pull tabs, lightning, tic-tac and raffles.