Riverside police are investigating a series of vehicle and garage break-ins that took place during the overnight hours of July 11-12 in the 100 blocks of Nuttall, Longcommon and Bartram roads.

According to police, it became apparent during their initial investigation that the offenders stole a 2017 Chevy Suburban from a home in the 100 block of Longcommon Road. At that same address, police found another vehicle that had been broken into in the rear driveway.

After stealing the SUV, the offenders searched vehicles in driveways on the three streets and burglarized a garage on Nuttall Road, loading up the stolen vehicle with the proceeds. In all, according to police, garages and vehicles were burglarized at six different addresses.

Among the items reported stolen were bicycles and power tools. Police have obtained surveillance camera video and recovered physical evidence from the scene.

Car stolen from garage

A resident of the 3700 block of Blanchan Avenue, Brookfield, called police on July 11 to report that a 2000 Chevy Blazer had been stolen from his garage sometime after July 3. 

According to the police report, the vehicle’s owner said that the garage’s side service door had been left unlocked and that he kept the keys to the vehicle in the ignition. 

Stuck in cement

Brookfield police responded to the 8600 block of Riverside Avenue on July 11 at about 2:35 p.m. after a 38-year-old Brookfield woman got her vehicle stuck in about 6 inches of concrete that had been poured as part of a street improvement project being done there.

Police observed both front wheels submerged in the concrete. The driver told police that she swerved to avoid another vehicle and didn’t notice the fresh concrete until it was too late.

A tow truck was able to remove the vehicle, a Kia Sedona, from the concrete. Police issued the driver a ticket for damage to village property.

Can’t sleep here

Brookfield police responded to the 9400 block of Monroe Avenue on the evening of July 13 after a homeowner called to complain that a man had tied a hammock to a tree on his property and that it was also blocking the sidewalk.

When an officer arrived the hammock was empty, but a 37-year-old man wearing a neck pillow walked up shortly afterward, saying he owned the hammock and that he had simply been looking for a nice place to hang it.

Police advised him not to hang the hammock on someone else’s property and sent him on his way.

94 mph on First Ave.

A 24-year-old Chicago man faces a criminal charge for aggravated speeding after he was clocked driving 94 mph while southbound on First Avenue at Ridgewood Road on July 12 at about 12:15 a.m., according to Riverside police.

The speed limit on that stretch of First Avenue is 35 mph, meaning the driver was traveling 59 mph over the limit

When a police officer was able to make the stop, the driver reportedly told police that he accelerated because he thought another vehicle was going to strike his. However, the officer reported that he’d witnessed the entire incident and that there were no other vehicles in the area at the time.

Alcohol poisoning hospitalizes teen

A Brookfield teen was taken to the hospital for treatment of alcohol poisoning after attending a party in Riverside that lasted into the early morning hours of July 14.

The 19 year old’s parents called police at about 4:25 a.m. to report the party, where underage drinking was taking place, and to report their daughter had been hospitalized.

Police arrived at the home and found six others between the ages of 17 and 19 in various stages of intoxication. Police ticketed all of the teens for underage drinking and charged a 21-year-old Riverside woman with unlawful delivery of liquor to a minor, which is a misdemeanor offense.

Anti-Trump sticker removed

Riverside police responded to East Burlington Street in Riverside’s central business district on July 10 at about 3:35 p.m. after a resident called to report a “Nazi sticker” affixed to a street sign.

The resident had removed the sticker prior to an officer’s arrival. However, the resident took a photo of the sticker prior to removing it. According to the police report, the sticker depicted a “Nazi symbol with a caricature of what appears to be President Trump with a Hitler mustache.

Police reported that they were trying to obtain surveillance camera video from nearby businesses.

These items were obtained from police reports filed by the Riverside, North Riverside and Brookfield police departments, July 9 and July 15, and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Unless otherwise indicated, anybody named in these reports has only been charged with a crime. These cases have not been adjudicated.

— Compiled by Bob Uphues