Autumn Fest and Flea Market
North Riverside Park and recreation invites the community to usher in fall at the village’s annual Autumn Fest and Chili Cook-off on Friday, Sept. 14 from 6:30 to 9 p.m. at the North Riverside Village Commons, 2401 Desplaines Ave.
Enjoy live music by HiFi Superstar, vote for your favorite chili and close out summer with a spectacular fireworks display.
Admission is free and open to the public. There will also be food and beverages available for purchase, carnival games, a petting zoo, inflatables, a balloon artist and more.
Pre-register for pumpkin decorating ($2 per pumpkin) by calling 708-442-5515, using Visa or MasterCard.
On Sunday, Sept. 16 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., come on back to the Village Commons for the Fall Flea Market. There are usually more than 100 sellers and the event is held rain or shine.
If you wish to sell, the fee is $15. Bring your own tables/chairs. Setup begins at 6:30 a.m. Call 708-442-5515 for more info.
Meet the Creek and Volunteer Fair
The Brookfield Conservation Commission hosts Meet the Creek, an annual celebration of Salt Creek, on Saturday, Sept. 15 from noon to 4 p.m. at the Kiwanis Park picnic pavilion, Arden and Brookfield avenues.
Take canoe ride, interact with live reptiles courtesy of the Chicago Herpetological Society and view fish and other critters found and around Salt Creek. There will also be a scavenger hunt and crafts for kids.
The event is free to attend. Canoe rides are on a first come, first served basis. Children riding in canoes must be 3 or older, and minors need to be accompanied by an adult.
Questions? Email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Just before you head over to the park, stop in at the village hall, 8820 Brookfield Ave., for the Fall Volunteer Fair from 10 a.m. to noon. To learn more about volunteer opportunities in the village from representatives of several local organizations.
Experience some Gemutlichkeit at Ascension Lutheran Church’s annual Oktoberfest event on Saturday, Sept. 15 at the church, 400 Nuttall Road in Riverside.
The event features a beer garden, fire pit, bratwurst and roast pork with proceeds benefiting Ascension’s programs for the hungry and food insecure. Non-perishable food donations will be collected at the door.
Admission is $12 ($15 at the door) for adults and $5 for kids under 12. Free parking around the church. Call 708-447-2600 or email AscensionRiverside@gmail.com with questions and to purchase tickets.
New show at
Compassion Factory Art Gallery and Studio, 9210 Broadway Ave. in Brookfield, presents “Watercolor in Print,” featuring the work of three artists — Pete Rangel, Kerry Lange and Naomi Zagt from Sept. 13 through Oct. 20.
The show kicks off with an opening reception on Friday, Sept. 14 from 7 to 10 p.m. Admission is free and open to the public. Gallery hours are Thursdays from 4 to 9 p.m., Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and first Fridays from 7 to 10 p.m.
Art at Brookfield Library
Brookfield Public Library, 3609 Grand Blvd., invites the community to a special after-hours reception on Sept. 14 at 6 p.m. for mixed-media artist Lynn D. Chindlund, whose work will be on display through October and part of the library’s Community Arts Initiative.
Meet Chindlund, a Brookfield resident, at the reception or at the workshop “In and Out Frames,” which she’ll present on Sept. 30 at 2 p.m. Both events are free but advance registration is required for the workshop by calling 708-485-6917.
• The Riverside Junior Woman’s Charity will hold its first meeting of the year on Sept. 13 at 7:30 p.m. in the auditorium of the Riverside Township Hall, 27 Riverside Road in Riverside. All are welcome.
• The Civil Air Patrol, Magnus Composite Squadron, hosts an open house on Sept. 18 from 7 to 9 p.m. at the North Riverside Armory, 8660 Cermak Road in North Riverside. Learn about emergency services, aerospace education and cadet programs. Valid photo ID required for those over 18. Call 630-452-3292 or email email@example.com for with questions.
• The Brookfield Chamber of Commerce will hold its first 60-to-Win prize drawing on Sept. 13 at 4:30 p.m. at Joe’s Saloon, 9220 47th St. in Brookfield. Winner need not be present. The chamber will also hold its monthly business lunch, open to members and non-members, on Sept. 13 at noon at Tony’s Family Restaurant, 9414 Ogden Ave. in Brookfield.
• Joseph Baar Topinka will be signing copies of his new book “Just Judy: The story of Judy Baar Topinka, Citizen and Leader” at Riverside Restaurant, 3422 Harlem Ave. on Sept. 15 from 1 to 4 p.m. Meet the author and learn more about the pioneering female leader, public servant and champion of Czech and Slovak heritage.
• Cook County Board of Review Commissioner Dan Patlak will hold property tax assessment appeal seminars in Lyons Township (which is open for appeal Sept. 10-Oct. 9) on Sept. 13 at 6 p.m. at the LaGrange Village Hall, 53 S. LaGrange Road and on Sept. 19 at 6 p.m. at the Countryside Village Hall, 5550 East Ave. Learn how to file a successful appeal in this hour-long presentation.
• Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., continues its new exhibition season with a two-person show of sculpture and installations by Indira Freitas Johnson and Garland Martin Taylor from Sept. 7 through Oct. 6. Free. Gallery hours are Tuesday-Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m.
• The Riverside’s Farmers Market continues every Wednesday from 2:30 to 7 p.m. through Oct. 10, in Centennial Park, 10 Pine Ave. Weekly scavenger hunt for kids, live music and more.
• The Brookfield Farmers Market is held every Saturday from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. through Oct. 13 in the parking lot of the village hall, 8820 Brookfield Ave. Weekly special events and live music.
• North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., hosts a Senior Drop-in on Sept. 14 from 10 a.m. to noon in the Meeting Room. Play cards and socialize every Friday. For adults, there’s “Humor in Music” featuring bandleader and pop music historian Steve Cooper on Sept. 19 at 2 p.m. To sign up, call 708-447-0869. For kids, there’s Pajama Storytime (all ages with adult) on Sept. 18 at 6:30 p.m. and Bilingual Storytime (ages 2-5) on Sept. 19 at 10:30 a.m.
• Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, hosts a concert by the Sunflower Chamber Orchestra, composed of students in third through 12th grades, on Sunday, Sept. 16 at 2 p.m.
• The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo every Monday night. Doors open at 5 p.m. and games start at 7 p.m. minimum cash payout of $2,275 a night, plus pull tabs, lightning, tic-tac and raffles.