Five people were taken to an area hospital for treatment of non-life threatening injuries after a work van rammed into the rear end of a Pace bus, which was stopped at a red light on southbound Harlem Avenue at Addison Road on Oct. 8 at about 2:20 p.m.

According to Riverside Police Chief Thomas Weitzel, the van was driven by a 36-year-old Hickory Hills man, who was not injured in the crash. He was ticketed for failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident. The van sustained extensive front-end damage.

“It jolted the bus pretty good,” Weitzel said.

Among those injured on board the bus was the driver, who was described as a 50-year-old Villa Park woman. Four bus passengers reportedly, all women, were also injured. 

Riverside Fire Chief Matthew Buckley described the injuries as “bumps and bruises” but also said that some passengers were thrown from their seats by the force of the crash.

Three other passengers on board the bus were uninjured.

Southbound traffic on Harlem Avenue was restricted to just one lane in the vicinity of the crash for more than an hour as paramedics and police investigators processed the scene.

Dog bites boy in groin

A 15-year-old North Riverside boy was hospitalized after he was bitten in “his groin” by a dog as he walked in the vicinity of First and Forest avenues in Riverside on Oct. 1 at about 9:20 p.m.

According to the police report, the boy was walking home after playing basketball with some friends when he crossed paths with a Riverside man walking a dog, which bit the boy. 

Riverside Police Chief Thomas Weitzel described the dog as a 55-pound male Australian cattle dog.

The dog walker reportedly drove the boy to his home and the boy’s mother took him to Loyola University Medical Center, where hospital personnel notified police. Police cited the dog’s owner for the dog bite, having no local dog license and for the dog failing to have received a rabies shot. 

As of Oct. 8, the dog was still being housed at a local animal hospital due to it not having been vaccinated for rabies. There was no additional information on the boy’s condition. 

Museum window shot with BB

The chairwoman of the Riverside Historical Commission called police on Oct. 1 to report that sometime during the prior week, someone had damaged the north-facing window of the Riverside Historical Museum in Centennial Park by shooting a BB-type weapon at it.

Police stated that Connie Guardi reported to them that the damage occurred between Sept. 22 and Sept. 29 and was described as a hole in the window, which was also cracked.

Vehicle break-ins

A resident of the 300 block of Lionel Road, Riverside, contacted police on the morning of Oct. 2 to report that his unlocked vehicle had been burglarized at about 3:45 a.m. on that date.

A surveillance camera reportedly was able to capture the break-in and video was turned over to police. 

Among the items taken from the vehicle were an iPhone 8 Plus, an iPhone 7 Plus, an iPad Mini, a pair of Beats Studio 3 wireless headphones and three pairs of Jaybird wireless headphones.

The victim was able to track the iPad to a location on Chicago’s Southwest Side, but it’s unclear whether police were able to follow up on that information.

Riverside police responded to the 100 block of South Delaplaine Road on Oct. 2 to report that during the overnight hours of Oct. 1-2, someone had entered her unlocked vehicle and removed a suburban school district-issued Lenovo laptop computer.

Wanted man arrested

Brookfield police detained a 25-year-old man who was wanted for questioning by Berwyn police in connection with an attempted homicide in that city and turned him over to that agency.

According to the police report, an officer on patrol observed the man standing on the porch of a home in the 4200 block of Maple Avenue on Oct. 5 at about 9 p.m. and had prior knowledge that he was wanted for questioning.

After getting confirmation that Berwyn still sought the man for questioning, the officer took him into custody and turned him over to Berwyn police.

Bikes stolen

A resident of the 3700 block of Maple Avenue, Brookfield, called police to report that on Oct. 5 at about 6:30 p.m. she had left her bicycle against a fence next to her driveway and left it there while she went inside her home for about a minute.

When she returned her bicycle and another identical pink-and-white mountain bike had been taken from the property. The bikes were valued at about $380. 

These items were obtained from police reports filed by the Riverside, North Riverside and Brookfield police departments, Oct. 1-8, and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Unless otherwise indicated, anybody named in these reports has only been charged with a crime. These cases have not been adjudicated.

— Compiled by Bob Uphues