Riverside police and paramedics reportedly used several doses of an opioid antidote to save the life of a 44-year-old Riverside woman found unresponsive in the bathroom of a residence on Forest Avenue on April 18 about 9:40 a.m.

A friend found the woman unresponsive and administered a dose of the opioid antidote Narcan. Police officers, all of whom are equipped with the antidote, who arrived on the scene administered a second and third dose, while paramedics administered a fourth.

Paramedics transported the woman to MacNeal Hospital for treatment. Police reported finding syringes in the residence but no additional drugs or paraphernalia. 

Captured on doorbell camera

A resident of Robinson Court in Riverside called police on April 18 at 10:10 a.m. to report that someone was trying to break into his home.

The caller told police he was in Chicago, but the Ring Doorbell he’d installed had sent an alert to his phone, and he was watching live video of someone trying force open the front door to his home.

Police responded to the area and located a 27-year-old Brookfield man who matched the description given to police. He was walking along the Burlington Northern-Santa Fe Railroad tracks just west of Harlem Avenue.

Police say the suspect was highly intoxicated and paramedics took him to MacNeal Hospital for treatment. The homeowner did not wish to pursue charges against the suspect.

Two days earlier, the same suspect reportedly was able to enter an apartment in Brookfield in the 3700 block of Prairie Avenue. On April 16 just before 2 a.m., an apartment resident called to report that he’d woken up to find an unknown man sleeping on his couch.

The resident said he wasn’t sure when the man may have entered the apartment but that he’d probably left the apartment door unlocked. Police woke up the 27-year-old Brookfield man, who told them he was cold and came into the apartment to get some sleep.

Police learned that the man had an active warrant for his arrest related to a prior drunken driving arrest and took him into custody. The apartment resident said he did not want to press further charges.

Later that same day, police issued the man a local ordinance violation ticket for disorderly conduct for an incident in the 3500 block of Forest Avenue.

Car on fire

Riverside police and firefighters responded to East Burlington Street near Harlem Avenue on April 20 about 7:52 p.m. for a 2006 Nissan SUV on fire at that location.

After a police officer was only partially successful in putting out the engine fire with a fire extinguisher, firefighters were able to douse it.

The driver of the Nissan, a 29-year-old Cicero woman, told police she was driving on Harlem Avenue when she noticed smoke coming from under the hood. She pulled onto East Burlington Street and called 911. The vehicle had to be towed from the scene.


 A 55-year-old Brookfield man faces felony drunken driving charges after a Brookfield police pulled over his vehicle at the intersection on Congress Park and Prairie avenues on April 20 about 12:15 a.m.

A police officer said he observed the vehicle turn onto northbound Prairie Avenue from westbound Congress Park, screeching its tires before continuing on. The officer followed the vehicle, which turned onto eastbound Shields, where the officer attempted to make a traffic stop.

The vehicle kept going, police said, making a right turn onto southbound Forest Avenue before attempting to turn onto westbound Congress Park Avenue before stopping.

According to the police report, Edward J. Butler had two prior convictions for driving under the influence, in 1981 and in 2009. In addition to DUI, Butler was cited for fleeing and eluding.

 Riverside police charged a 49-year-old Chicago man with driving under the influence of alcohol on April 17 about 11:40 p.m. after he allegedly drove through a red light at Miller Road while westbound on Ogden Avenue.

The driver appeared intoxicated and could not complete field sobriety tests, according to police. A breath test at the police station reportedly revealed that the driver’s blood-alcohol content was .27, which is more than three times the legal limit of .08.

These items were obtained from police reports filed by the Riverside, North Riverside and Brookfield police departments, April 15-21, and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Unless otherwise indicated, anybody named in these reports has only been charged with a crime. These cases have not been adjudicated.

— Compiled by Bob Uphues