Three men face felony charges stemming from a melee inside the Round One entertainment complex at North Riverside Park Mall, 7501 Cermak Road, on May 4 at about 5:50 p.m.

The fight drew a heavy police response, and Round One was shut down that evening as police investigated the incident.

Charged with felony criminal damage to property were Rafael Ramos Jr., 29, of Berwyn, and Terry Barber, 31, of Chicago, who were the two principal combatants in the fight, according to police. Barber was also charged with two counts of battery and one count of disorderly conduct. 

Ramos, meanwhile, was charged with mob action, battery, disorderly conduct and two counts of violating the state’s concealed carry act.

Ramos, according to police, was a carrying a tan Glock 19X handgun on his person inside Round One. During the fight, the gun reportedly tumbled to the floor, where it was picked up and handed to Tyshawn Jones, a member of Ramos’ party.

Police charged Jones, 20, of Brookfield, with felony unlawful use of a weapon, mob action and disorderly conduct. Jones allegedly was in possession of the handgun outside of the mall, where he was detained when police arrived at the scene.

According to police, Ramos, Jones and three others had been drinking at a Berwyn restaurant before going to Round One. Ramos and at least one other member of his party reportedly admitted being intoxicated when they arrived at Round One.

Ramos reportedly told police he was standing near the cash register with a pitcher of beer in his hand when he accidentally bumped into a woman. Both Ramos and the woman stated that Ramos had apologized, but the woman’s boyfriend, Barber, confronted Ramos, who responded by allegedly throwing the pitcher of beer into his face.

At that, the fight was on. Barber allegedly shoved Ramos into a “Tons of Tickets” amusement game, knocking it over and nearly on top of a child. The machine, valued at about $6,400, made a loud “bang” when it hit the ground, apparently causing some to report that shots had been fired, though that was not the case, according to police.

During the scuffle, which involved several men, the handgun fell from Ramos’ person. It was picked up by one man who could been seen on surveillance video, police reported, brandishing the weapon and trying to strike people with it. That man also reportedly dropped the gun once or twice before handing it to Jones, who ran out of Round One through the west entrance before being stopped by police.

Charges in April motorcycle crash

Riverside police have charged a 29-year-old North Riverside man with driving under the influence of alcohol and cited him for failure to yield and for not having vehicle insurance in an April 24 motorcycle crash in which he was seriously injured. 

A 26-year-old North Riverside woman who was a passenger on the motorcycle was not seriously hurt.

Police reported that on April 24 at about 9:50 p.m., the man was driving his red 2009 Harley-Davidson motorcycle northbound in the 3400 block of Harlem Avenue when he tried to make a left turn in front of a southbound taxi cab, which had the right of way.

The motorcycle struck the side of the taxi cab, and the motorcyclist sustained severe injuries that required surgery and 10-day stay in the hospital before he was turned over to police to be charged.

The taxi cab driver was not injured.

Burglary foiled

An alert neighbor foiled an attempt by an unknown teenager to steal a bicycle from the garage of a home in the 3200 block of Maple Avenue on May 5 at about 6:30 p.m.

The neighbor told police he was in the alley when he observed a teenager messing around with a bike in the alley. The teen then waved to another, who was on a bike at the end of the alley.

At that point, the first teen noticed the neighbor, put down the bike and started walking southbound through the alley. Police later learned the bike left in the alley was taken from the Maple Avenue residence. The bike’s tires were flat, police noted.

Mall intruder

North Riverside police responded to the North Riverside Park Mall, 7501 Cermak Road, on two consecutive days, April 27 and 28, after an intruder apparently tripped the burglar alarm at Sears.

While police were unable to locate anyone in the vicinity, surveillance video from April 27 showed a man sporting a bandanna over his face inside the store. A witness on April 28 provided a description of a person that appeared to match the suspect in the prior incident.

It’s unclear whether anything was taken from the store. Entry was gained through a door in the northeast corner of the store, police reported.

These items were obtained from police reports filed by the Riverside, North Riverside and Brookfield police departments, April 27-May 5, and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Unless otherwise indicated, anybody named in these reports has only been charged with a crime. These cases have not been adjudicated.

— Compiled by Bob Uphues