A 24-year-old Chicago woman charged with felony drunk driving in Riverside on Sept. 6 was also charged with being a fugitive from justice after police learned she was wanted on a warrant by the Cook County Sheriff’s Police, also for felony drunk driving.

Despite numerous prior arrests for driving under the influence of alcohol, according to Riverside police, a court judge agreed to allow Destiney Perez to post a $70,000 personal recognizance bond and remain free while awaiting trial.

According to Riverside police, Perez was driving a vehicle that was clocked going 67 mph in a 40 mph zone and cutting off other vehicles while northbound on First Avenue near Ridgewood Road about 12:45 a.m.

Perez reportedly attempted to give the arresting officer multiple fictitious names. She reportedly had six alias names, five alias dates of birth and four alias addresses in addition to having a suspended driver’s license under a fake name and a revoked license under her true name.

Police learned Perez’s true identity by checking her fingerprints and subsequently learned of her multiple previous DUI arrests and the Cook County warrant. At the time of her arrest in Riverside, Perez’s blood-alcohol content was .12, which is greater than the legal limit of .08.

Police also stated Perez had other prior arrests for aggravated battery, arson, assault and weapons offenses, among others.


Unlawful use of a weapon

A 19-year-old Chicago man faces a felony weapons charge, as does a 15-year-old boy, after being arrested for their roles in an incident inside the Food Court at North Riverside Park Mall, 7501 Cermak Road, on Sept. 6 about 8:40 p.m.

According to the police report, a 16-year-old boy was inside the food court when a group of people he didn’t know approached him, igniting a verbal altercation. At that time, 19-year-old Rhazsa Simmons reportedly indicated he was armed with a handgun, prompting the 16-year-old’s cousin to pick up a chair to defend his cousin.

The victims ran out of the mall into the parking lot where Simmons allegedly pulled out a handgun and pointed it at the 16-year-old, who reported seeing a red laser pointed at his chest.

Police detained Simmons, a 15-year-old boy and a 21-year-old man in the former Tony’s parking lot. Mall security detained three other male juveniles. Police found a fully loaded handgun, equipped with a laser sight, in the possession of a 15-year-old suspect.

However, based on a victim’s description of the person who pointed the gun at him, police charged Simmons with felony unlawful use of a weapon and disorderly conduct. The 15-year-old found by police to be in possession of the gun was charged with aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, possession of a concealed weapon and disorderly conduct.

Two other 15-year-old boys, a 17-year-old boy and the 21-year-old man were charged with disorderly conduct.



DPW truck stolen, recovered

A North Riverside Department of Public Works pickup truck, stolen from the parking lot at Veterans Park, 7600 26th St., on the afternoon of Sept. 4, was found a short time later, undamaged and with nothing missing from the interior, parked not too far away in neighboring Berwyn.

Police responded to Veterans Park about 1:50 p.m. and spoke to three public works employees who told an officer they’d arrived at the park about 12:30 p.m. and left the keys inside the unlocked Ford F350 truck, which was fully marked as a village vehicle, as they performed maintenance duties. When they returned to the parking lot at 1:15 p.m., the truck was gone.

At 2:20 p.m., Berwyn police notified North Riverside that the truck was located in the 2600 block of Home Avenue, about a mile to the east.


Floating package is dead skunk

Someone flagged down a Brookfield police officer in Kiwanis Park on Sept. 2 at 3:10 p.m. to report a suspicious package he observed while kayaking on Salt Creek. The person said he saw the package — covered in a plastic bag and wrapped in duct tape — floating downstream between 31st Street and Washington Avenue. The item, said the kayaker, was about the size of a “torso” and smelled like “death.”

An officer was able to locate and retrieve the item, which was determined to be a dead skunk in a cage.


These items were obtained from police reports filed by the Riverside, North Riverside and Brookfield police departments, Aug. 30-Sept. 8, and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Unless otherwise indicated, anybody named in these reports has only been charged with a crime. These cases have not been adjudicated.

— Compiled by Bob Uphues