A 59-year-old Berwyn man was charged with drunken driving after he allegedly drove his 2000 Ford into the Brookfield Zoo grounds at about 8:25 p.m. on Dec. 22 – during the zoo’s packed Holiday Magic lights festival – before he was stopped by zoo police on in a pedestrian-only area between the Trading Post gift shop and zoo administration building at the south end of the park.

Brookfield police arrived at the scene and interviewed the driver, who reportedly told them at he’d had 10 beers and two shots of alcohol and that there was no point submitting to field sobriety tests, because he was drunk.

Security camera video submitted to Brookfield police by the zoo reportedly showed the man drive into the zoo without paying, enter an employee-inly area and then enter the zoo grounds.

It’s the second straight year a motorist has entered zoo grounds during Holiday Magic. On Dec. 27, 2018, an 84-year-old woman drove into the zoo through an employee-only access area near the South Gate shortly after Holiday Magic ended for the night. The vehicle ended up getting stuck on the south mall after striking a post.

The woman, who was disoriented but not otherwise impaired, told police she was trying to get to Ogden Avenue, which was in the opposite direction.

No one was hurt in either incident.

Cops perform life-saving CPR

Brookfield Police Chief Edward Petrak is lauding the actions of officers David Kudla and David Harrison after they revived a 73-year-old Indian Head Park man who slumped to the floor unconscious while drinking coffee with others at Loca Mocha inside the Brookfield Metra station at 8858 Burlington Ave. on Dec. 21 at 8:25 a.m.

The man reportedly had no pulse and was not breathing when the officers arrived and started performing CPR. Paramedics transported the man to Loyola University Medical Center where he was treated and is expected to make a full recovery.

“I am extremely proud of you guys,” Petrak wrote in an email to the officers, which was copied to other village and police officials. “Because of you, [the man] and his wife were able to spend another Christmas together. A coffee shop full of customers, [the man’s] friends and other Brookfield residents witnessed first-hand your life saving actions that early morning.”

Asleep at the wheel

North Riverside police charged a 62-year-old Burbank man with driving under the influence of alcohol after he was reportedly found asleep behind the wheel of his red BMW at the Canadian National Railroad crossing in the 2300 block of Desplaines Avenue on Dec. 21 at about 3:35 a.m.

After waking up the driver, a police office reported that he appeared intoxicated and failed field sobriety tests. He reportedly refused to submit to a breath test. In addition to being charged with DUI, the driver was cited for improper parking on a roadway and his vehicle was impounded by police.

Kids hurt in suspected DUI crash

Two boys, ages 9 and 14, were admitted to the hospital for observation after sustaining what later were termed minor injuries they suffered when their mother reportedly slammed her Buick into a Jeep stopped in the 8300 block of Cermak Road, waiting for a train to clear the crossing at about 10:10 p.m. on Dec. 25.

A 32-year-old Berwyn man whose Jeep was stopped in traffic at the rail crossing told police that he observed the Buick approaching at a high rate of speed and that he placed his car in drive, but was unable to move before being struck. He was not injured.

Police charged the driver of the Buick, a 37-year-old Chicago woman, with driving under the influence of alcohol and reckless driving and cited for failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident.

Bus beat down

A 53-year-old Chicago man needed stitches to close up a two-inch gash to his forehead, which he received during a beat down aboard a Pace bus on Cermak Road near Desplaines Avenue in North Riverside on the afternoon of Dec. 19.

According to police, the victim was seated on the bus when a young man sat down next to him and spread his legs wide open, squeezing the victim against the wall of the bus.

When the victim asked the other passenger to move over, a verbal altercation started, escalating into a physical fight. A second person jumped into the fray, according to police, and the victim was punched in the head several times before both offenders fled the scene.

Another passenger called 911 to report the fight, but police were unable to locate any suspects. Paramedics transported the victim to Loyola University Medical center for treatment.

These items were obtained from police reports filed by the Riverside, North Riverside and Brookfield police departments, Dec. 19-27, and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Unless otherwise indicated, anybody named in these reports has only been charged with a crime. These cases have not been adjudicated.