Two Chicago men face felony charges after allegedly stealing several power tools out of a work van in the 4200 block of Elm Avenue and then leading police on a high-speed chase that ended in front of Riverside-Brookfield High School during the early morning hours of April 14.

Police responded to the 4200 block of Elm Avenue just after 4 a.m. when a resident of the block called to report a vehicle burglary that had just taken place. Two men dressed in black had taken several tools from a white cargo van and fled in a tan Buick.

An officer spotted the vehicle near Burlington and Prairie, but it sped off at a high rate of speed across the tracks and then east down Brookfield Avenue to McCormick, speeding north before turning west on Washington Avenue.

At Golf Road, the Buick reportedly crossed the centerline and then jumped the east curb heading through the lawn in front of Riverside-Brookfield High School. The impact with the curb damaged the wheels of the Buick and the two occupants bailed out, running south across Ridgewood Road into the back yards of the residential properties to the south.

Police located the driver, later identified as 29-year-old Robert A. Williams hiding in a shed in the yard of a home in the 100 block of Parkview Avenue, Riverside. 

The passenger, identified as 20-year-old Tashawn Booker, was found hiding under an outdoor pool deck in the backyard of a home in the 100 block of Parkview Avenue.

Police reported recovering several items taken from the while cargo van in Brookfield in addition to other items. The total value of the recovered items was estimated at a little less than $2,000.

The Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office approved charging Williams with felony counts of theft and aggravated fleeing and eluding. He was also cited for numerous traffic offenses. At the time of his arrest, Williams was on parole after serving part of a two-year sentence on a 2018 conviction for resisting a police officer, causing injury.

Booker was charged with felony theft.

Brookfield police responded to the 4000 block of Park Avenue on the morning of April 16 after a resident called to report that someone had rummaged through his unlocked vehicle sometime between April 13-15 and removed a USB cord and a Sony Xplod stereo receiver face plate from the dashboard.


Riverside burglaries reported

At least two garage burglaries, an attempted garage burglary and a vehicle break-in were reported to Riverside police last week.

All of the incidents appear to have taken place during the overnight hours of April 13-14 on the east side of the village, south of the Burlington Northern-Santa Fe Railroad tracks.

Police on April 14 responded to a residence in the 200 block of Lawton Road for a garage burglary. The offender entered the garage through a side service door, which was not locked.

Missing from the garage were a black Gary Fisher mountain bike, a Burley child carriage, which was attached to the bike, as well as a Stihl chainsaw, a Rigid drain cleaner and a Honda gas generator.

The total value of the items was estimated at about $3,200.

A resident of the 100 block of Lawton Road, not too far away, told police that someone had entered his vehicle, which was parked outside of the detached garage in the rear of the property.

The owner determined nothing was missing from the vehicle, but papers inside had been moved around.

On the evening of April 14, a resident of South Cowley Road informed police he had video of someone trying to enter his garage and vehicle at about 4:25 a.m. After seeing both were locked, the person left the area.

A resident of the 200 block of Gage Road, Riverside, called police on the morning of April 19 to report that within the past several days, someone had entered his unlocked garage and removed a black Trek mountain bike. No other items were missing.

Police reported that the bicycle had been turned in to police on April 14 by someone who lived in the 100 block of Lawton Road. The bike was returned to its owner.


A/C unit lifted

The owner of a residence in the 3200 block of Sunnyside Avenue, Brookfield, contacted police on April 18 to report that within the past few weeks, someone had removed the air-conditioning unit from the backyard of the property. The unit had been cut from the electric service and copper water lines and carried away.


These items were obtained from police reports filed by the Riverside, North Riverside and Brookfield police departments, April 13-19, and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Unless otherwise indicated, anybody named in these reports has only been charged with a crime. These cases have not been adjudicated.

One reply on “Two charged with van break-in, fleeing police | Police reports April 13-19”