All things dragon
Brookfield Public Library presents an interactive, family-friendly story time and art event via Facebook Live on Monday, Dec. 14 at 4 p.m.
During “Marvelous Mythological Creatures: Dragon Edition,” read a story about dragons and explore ways they have been depicted around the world. After that, get a dragon drawing lesson and start some shimmering, shining dragon paintings.
Tune in at the library’s Facebook page.
Meet Mark Twain
Mark Twain may have died in 1910, but this year he’s celebrating the holidays in Riverside — in the form of interpreter Warren Brown, a well-known Twain scholar and interpreter, who has portrayed the famous author in over 1,200 events since 1996.
Riverside American Legion Post #488 will host the performance live on their Facebook page on Friday, Dec. 11 at 6:30 p.m.
Capturing the wit and irony that portrays 2020 perfectly, Brown’s performance encompasses tall tales, funny wisdom and is perfect for children and adults alike.
Email to email@example.com with any questions.
Holiday cookie recipe swap
Riverside Public Library invites you to swap recipes, trade tips and meet new people during its next Melting Pot Recipe Chat: Holiday Cookies, which will be held via Zoom on Thursday, Dec. 10 at 7 p.m.
Register to attend by visiting the library’s online events page or by calling 708-442-6366.
Virtual holiday concert
Join the folks at North Riverside Public Library as they get into the holiday spirit during a Let’s Be Jolly Holiday Concert on Friday, Dec. 11 at 7 p.m. on YouTube and Facebook Live.
• The 39th Annual Holiday Magic at Brookfield Zoo, 8400 31st St. in Brookfield, runs Wednesdays through Sundays through Dec. 20 and Saturday through Thursday, Dec. 26 to 31, from 3 to 9 p.m. The zoo is not open prior to 3 p.m. on Holiday Magic days. Advance admission and parking tickets are required. Buy tickets by clicking here. Visit the Brookfield Zoo website for more info.
• Santa’s Mailbox is back and ready to receive letters from local kids, courtesy of the Riverside Department of Parks and Recreation, just east of the historic water tower at 10 Pine Ave. in downtown Riverside. All letters received through Dec. 20 will get a letter back from Santa. Be sure to include a mailing address, so Santa knows where to send his reply.
• North Riverside Park Mall, 7501 Cermak Road, hosts a holiday toy drive to benefit families of The Children’s Center of Cicero-Berwyn. Bring a new, unwrapped toy to mall’s center court through Dec. 14 and receive a mall coupon book.
• Riverside Department of Parks and Recreation invites you to register for Around Riverside in 80 Days, challenging you to get out there every day through Feb. 14 and walk, run or bike any distance to stay healthy this winter. Register to participate by clicking here and receive a sweatshirt of your choice.
• Riverside Arts Center invites you to bring art home with a Paint Your Own Pottery box. Choose either a platter or serving bowl and receive a box containing everything you’ll need to create a painted masterpiece. Kits are $50 (non-members $55) and you can order online at the Riverside Arts Center website. RAC will arrange for delivery or pick up of your box on your specified day.
• Celebrate those who make the West Suburban Special Recreation Association hum during the WSSRA Celebration of Stars virtual benefit through Friday, Dec. 18 at 6:30 p.m. The celebration includes a silent auction, raffle, opportunities to make donations and more. View auction items, Register and more by visiting WSSRA’s website.
• North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., is offering the following virtual programs through Facebook Live, conference calls and the teleconferencing app Zoom. Programs include Makerspace Mondays on the first and third Mondays of the month at 7 p.m. and Talented Tuesdays on the second and fourth Tuesdays of the month at 5:30 p.m. both via Facebook Live on North Riverside Public Library’s Facebook page; and Game Night Wednesdays every Wednesday at 7 p.m. via Zoom.
For adults, there’s the Deeply Rooted Book Club discussion of “Fights: One Boy’s Triumph over Violence” by Joel Christian Gill via Zoom on Dec. 10 at 6:30 p.m.; Crafternoons: Holiday Gift Tags via Zoom on Dec. 12 at 1:30 p.m.; WITS Workout for brain health via Zoom on Dec. 15 at 11 a.m.; and Crafterdarks: Holiday Donut Holes via Zoom on Dec. 15 at 6:30 p.m.
RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the libary’s online calendar.
For kids, there are the following Zoom programs: ABCs and 123s on Mondays at 10:30, Stories and Sharing on Tuesdays at 10:30 a.m.; and Lego Builders Club on Thursdays at 3:30 p.m.
Register by calling 708-447-0869, ext. 230 or visit the Youth Services registration page.
• Brookfield Public Library offers virtual classes and programs for patrons of all ages throughout the week. Most youth activities will be presented live on the library’s Facebook page.
There’s also Chair Yoga via Zoom on Dec. 10 at 11 a.m. and Job Searching with the Library on Dec. 16 at 5 p.m. via Zoom. Register for Zoom access info by visiting the library’s online calendar or calling 708-485-6917, ext. 130.