North Riverside police have charged an 18-year-old Chicago man with possessing a stolen motor vehicle, unlawful use of a weapon and resisting arrest after he allegedly rammed a police squad car while trying to flee in the vehicle and then grabbed a pistol from the glove compartment and ran from the vehicle into North Riverside Park Mall to try and elude police on Jan. 29 at about 7 p.m.

An officer on patrol at the mall, 7501 Cermak Road, reported observing an unoccupied black Chrysler 300S with no rear license plate parked in the lot near Entrance 2 on the east side of the mall which leads to north end of the upper level.

The officer parked his squad car perpendicular to the Chrysler and got out to check the VIN and conduct a computer check on the vehicle.

While waiting, the officer observed someone, later identified as Keon Warmack, exit Entrance 2 and approach in a low, hunched run toward the car. Warmack reportedly got into the vehicle and closed the door while the officer exited his squad car and ordered him to get out.

Warmack then allegedly started the car, put it in reverse and struck the passenger side of the squad car, prompting the officer to draw his sidearm and order Warmack to exit the vehicle.

At that time, Warmack reportedly opened the glove box and removed an unknown item from it before getting out of the car and running south toward the food court entrance. Mall security detained Warmack in a restroom on the lower level.

Warmack reportedly possessed a Walther PPX 9 mm handgun loaded with seven hollow-point rounds, including one in the chamber.

The Chrysler reportedly had been stolen from a Hertz rental business in South Holland.

Stolen identity used to buy truck

The finance manager at Zeigler Ford, 2100 Harlem Ave. in North Riverside, called police on Jan. 26 to report that they just learned that a vehicle purchased and driven from their lot in July 2020 had been bought using someone’s stolen identity.

According to the police report, the deal was transacted online. The dealership received an online credit application from someone claiming to be a Texas resident who wanted to buy a black 2020 Ford F-250 pickup truck.

The dealer received all of the required documents and the purchase – which totaled $80,333 – was financed through Ford Credit on July 27, 2020. About a week later, on Aug. 4, a transportation company took possession of the pickup truck to haul it away.

In late January, Zeigler’s finance manager learned that no payments had been made on the truck and that the person whose identity was used to buy the truck said he did not purchase it.

As of Jan. 26, the truck had not been registered in any state and the dealer had police enter it as stolen/purchased fraudulently.

Former resident keeps coming back

Riverside police charged a 71-year-old LaGrange Highlands man with criminal trespassing after he allegedly tried to gain access to a home in the 200 block of East Quincy Street on two occasions.

Police said the man lived in Riverside about 20 years ago, and he has been warned  numerous times both verbally by police and through local ordinance citations to stay away from the property.

The man reportedly attempted to enter the home through the rear door on Jan. 25 at about 2:20 p.m. The occupant of the residence called police at that time, saying someone was trying to break into the house, but the offender left before police arrived.

On Jan. 26 at about 9:05 a.m., the homeowner called police again to report an attempted break-in. Police took the 71-year-old man into custody. He was apparently wearing the same clothes as the day before.

Just grappling with nerves

North Riverside police responded to the 2800 block of First Avenue at about 2 a.m. on Jan. 24 after a passerby called 911 to report two people fighting outside of a vehicle that was pulled over to the side of the road.

When police arrived, they reported observing four people inside a gray Honda that was pulling away from the curb. An officer pulled over the car to speak with those inside, and they learned that two of the passengers, who were twin brothers, had been getting on each other’s nerves during the drive and decided to pull over and wrestle out their differences.

No one was hurt and the two advised the officer that no further police action was necessary before being sent on their way.

Car wheels stolen

A resident of the 2300 block of 12th Avenue, North Riverside, contacted police on the morning of Jan. 24 to report that all four wheels had been removed from her silver Nissan Altima during the overnight hours.

The victim told police that she parked the car on the street around 7:30 p.m. on Jan. 23. The following morning at about 6:45 a.m., the victim went outside to warm up the vehicle and found that all four wheels had been removed and the car was resting on brick pavers.

These items were obtained from police reports filed by the Riverside, North Riverside and Brookfield police departments, Jan. 24-31 and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Unless otherwise indicated, anybody named in these reports has only been charged with a crime. These cases have not been adjudicated.

— Compiled by Bob Uphues