Brookfield police have charged a 61-year-old man with two counts of misdemeanor aggravated assault and other offenses after he allegedly pointed a shotgun and a knife at a 58-year-old woman and then barricaded himself inside his home in the 9000 block of Bartlett Avenue for about four hours on Feb. 9 as police urged him to surrender.

According to the police report, the Cook County State’s Attorney declined to charge the man with any felonies. After the man surrendered to police, he was taken by paramedics to LaGrange Hospital for evaluation and was later released.

He was also charged with domestic battery, resisting arrest and interfering with reporting a domestic violence incident.

Police responded to the home at 10:35 a.m. after receiving a 911 call from the female victim, who had sustained a laceration to her elbow after reportedly trying to prevent the man from destroying a grandfather clock inside the house. 

The man allegedly threatened to shoot the clock through the woman, but he didn’t fire the weapon. Instead, he allegedly grabbed a knife and attempted to stab the clock.

When police arrived at the scene, the victim reportedly opened the door twice and the man shut it. The third time, the victim exited the home and the man remained inside, refusing to come out.

For the next four hours, police cordoned off the block and called in the Cook County Hostage Barricade Team, whose negotiators communicated with the man via loud speaker. 

After talking to a relative, the man agreed to surrender to police at about 2:25 p.m., exiting through the front door and walking to waiting officers without further incident.

Police obtained a search warrant and reported recovering three firearms inside the home, including two loaded shotguns, one of them hidden between a mattress and box spring in an upstairs bedroom. They also recovered a loaded 9 mm handgun from under a bed in the master bedroom.

The man reportedly had been arrested three times previously for domestic battery in the 1990s, twice in Countryside and once in Lyons, and twice for battery in the 1980s. It does not appear that he was convicted of any of those charges.

Felony DUI for man driving on revoked license

A Chicago man with a lengthy criminal history that includes nearly 70 prior arrests and whose driver’s license has been revoked since a 1995 drunken driving conviction, faces felony drunken driving charges after being stopped in Riverside on Feb. 13.

Police pulled over William R. Walters, 46, at about 2:20 a.m. after an officer reported seeing a 2011 Chevy Impala without headlights traveling eastbound in the 7200 block of Ogden Avenue.

According to police, Walters appeared intoxicated and failed sobriety tests. They also reported recovering an open bottle of beer on the passenger side floor and other beer bottles on the front seat.

Walters was charged with felony DUI, felony driving while revoked and other offenses.

Text message fraud

A 38-year-old Brookfield woman contacted police on Feb. 13 to report she was the victim of fraud.

According to the police report, the victim received a text message from someone purporting to be a good friend of hers. In the text, the person asked for $470, saying they would pay it back the next day.

Because the victim recognized the phone number and believed her friend was texting, she sent the money using the app Zelle to an email address provided by the texter.

A short time later, the victim received another text message asking for $1,000. At that time, the victim reached out to her friend, who said she did not send any text messages requesting money.

The victim notified her bank of the incident and filed a claim to get her money back. She also notified credit bureaus to make a record of the incident and make sure there is no other unusual activity.

DUI suspect allegedly offered cop bribe

A 23-year-old Harvey woman charged with drunken driving in Riverside was also charged with attempting to bribe a police officer after she allegedly offered a cop $5,000 to let her go after fleeing the scene of a crash in the 3000 block of Harlem Avenue on Feb. 14 at about 11:50 p.m.

No injuries were sustained in the rear-end crash, and the victim told police that the driver had also offered him $5,000 not to call police before fleeing the scene. Police observed the offending Jeep, whose bumper fell off into the roadway, backing into a private driveway in the 300 block of East Burlington Street.

Police reported that the woman driving the Jeep appeared very intoxicated, failed sobriety tests and allegedly attempted to bribe the arresting officer on multiple occasions.

These items were obtained from police reports filed by the Riverside, North Riverside and Brookfield police departments, Feb. 8-14 and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Unless otherwise indicated, anybody named in these reports has only been charged with a crime. These cases have not been adjudicated.

— Compiled by Bob Uphues