Riverside landscape workdays return
The Frederick Law Olmsted Society will once again team up with the village of Riverside for a series of landscape workdays, sprucing up the village’s public green spaces.
It kicks off on Saturday, April 10 from 9 a.m. to noon at Harrington Park, Lawton and Delaplaine roads. Look for the public works dump truck, wear a face covering and bring work gloves and a water bottle. Other supplies and snacks provided.
Due to the pandemic, RSVPs are required at least 24 hours in advance by emailing to firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 708-447-0226.
Sultans of suds
Join Brookfield Public Library for the Zoom presentation “Germany’s Liquid Bread: The History of Beer” on Thursday, April 8 at 7 p.m.
Historian Annette Isaacs will walk you through the history of beer, including the German brewers who became beer barons in the U.S.
Registration required at 708-485-6917, ext. 130 or at the library’s website.
Fireside chat with author John Sanford
Brookfield, Riverside and North Riverside libraries are all participating in a special nationwide Zoom author visit with John Sanford, former journalist, Pulitzer Prize winner and best-selling author of the “Prey” series on Wednesday, April 14 at 7 p.m.
Billed as a “fireside chat,” Sanford will talk about the newest Lucas Davenport novel “Ocean Prey,” which will be released on April 13.
Space is limited and registration is required. Visit your library’s website, Brookfield library, Riverside library or North Riverside library for more information and to get Zoom access to the program.
Classic TV advertising
Brookfield Public Library invites you to join Robert Burton as he takes you back in time via Zoom to early TV advertising during “First a Word from Our Sponsors: An Overview of Broadcast Advertising” on Monday, April 12 at 7 p.m.
Take a video journey through time and enjoy some of the earliest TV commercials, a few of which became ground-breakers and others that garnered special kudos.
Registration required at 708-485-6917, ext. 130 or at the Brookfield library website.
Historian talks RBG
Riverside Public Library will host historian Jim Gibbons on Thursday, April 8 at 7 p.m. as he presents “Notorious: The Life of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg” on Zoom.
Gibbons will discuss the life of the legendary Supreme Court justice, who served for 27 years. An inspiration to many, her strong will, persistence and influential role in women’s rights led her to become an icon to many Americans.
Registration is required at the Riverside library’s online calendar.
- Brookfield Zoo presents the virtual lecture “Wildlife Wellness: Conserving the Health of Free-Ranging and Zoo Reptiles” via Zoom on April 14 at 7 p.m. Clinical veterinarian Matt Allender will talk about research efforts in conservation, health and disease affecting this population. Reservations required at the zoo’s website.
- Triton College students and community members are invited to attend a statewide virtual career fair on April 9 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The event is being held in partnership with the Illinois Department of Employment Security and is free. Register by visiting this website. For more info call 708-456-0300, ext. 3789 or email email@example.com.
- Riverside American Legion Post #488 will host special guest Brigadier Gen. Sheila R. Baxter (U.S. Army ret.) at its next virtual meeting on April 9 at 6 p.m. Gen. Baxter, the first African-American woman to be promoted to brigadier general in the Army Medical Service, will talk about her decorated career. The presentation will be livestreamed to the public via the post’s Facebook page.
- North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., offers a number of virtual programs through Facebook Live, conference calls and the teleconferencing app Zoom. Programs include Game Night Wednesdays on April 14 at 7 p.m. via Zoom.
For adults, there’s Deeply Rooted Book Club via Zoom on April 8 at 7:30 p.m. This month’s book is “Race to Incarcerate” by Sabrina Jones. There’s also Telephone Book Club on April 13 at 6:45 p.m. via conference call at 800-747-5150 (code 1453322). This month’s book is “The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie” by Alan Bradley.
Register at the North Riverside library’s online calendar for Zoom access.
For kids there’s ABCs and 123s (ages 3+) via Zoom on Mondays at 10:30 a.m.; Story Safari (ages 3+) via Zoom on Tuesdays at 10:30 a.m.; and Lego Builders Club (ages 5+) via Zoom on Thursdays at 4 p.m. Pajama Storytime returns via Zoom on April 14 at 6:30 p.m. Kids in grades 6-12 can play the Jackbox game Champ’d Up via Zoom on April 10 at 3 p.m.
- Brookfield Public Library offers virtual classes and programs for patrons of all ages throughout the week. Most youth activities will be presented live on the library’s Facebook page. For adults, there’s also Chair Yoga via Zoom on April 8 at 11 a.m. and Lunch and Learn: Get Your Business on Google via Zoom on April 9 at noon.
Call 708-485-6917, ext. 130 or visit library’s online calendar to register for Zoom programs.
- Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, invites kids and parents to join them for Outdoor Storytime on Friday, April 9 and Tuesday, April 13 at 10 a.m. Stories will be repeated from Friday on Tuesday, so pick which day works better for you. Storytime will be canceled in the event of bad weather. Visit the library’s online calendar for more info.